Need a new bike - yay! Question....

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2017 in Commuting chat
I need a new commuter / Winter bike.

My current commuter is just too heavy, plus it's getting on...and I've done untold 1000's of miles on it.

Well that's what I told the Wife.

Anyway, my needs have changed slightly as I'm now riding with a club weekends and I need a Winter bike that I can use for that...and commuting.

I've never owned a carbon bike. My current race/Summer bike is titanium. My commuters have always been steel or ally.

Is there any downside to me using a carbon bike for commuting? I know it probably won't have mudguard/rack mounts, I'm happy with that as I'm OK to use slighty less efficient clip on guards, and 4 months ago I converted back from a pannier to a rucksack and am happy to carry on with it.

This is the bike I've arrived at after a lot of thoughts. I'm a Campag man but am going to spec it with 105 (11 speed unfortunately, not 10).

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-evo-pro/

Talk me into it or out of it, please.

Comments

• I've used carbon for commuting for years - absolutely no issues. Go for it - you know you deserve it!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Check what max size tyres it will take, the standard spec is 25 but Ribble have been slow to move to larger sizes so you may not be able to go any bigger if that's something you may want to do? A colleague was after their winter trainer and it would only take 23 tyres. Mind you that frame design has been going since the dawn of time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    My thinking for my next commuter, if ever required. Carbon frame - no corrosion. Full guards - keep yourself dry, if not everyone else. Disc brakes - Replacing discs is easier than rims. Commuting in cruddy weather takes it's toll.
    Edit - My Current commuter/winter bike has Chorus. Five years old, zero issues.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I've used carbon for commuting for years - absolutely no issues. Go for it - you know you deserve it!

I've had a bad couple of months, you're right I do!
  • Check what max size tyres it will take, the standard spec is 25 but Ribble have been slow to move to larger sizes so you may not be able to go any bigger if that's something you may want to do? A colleague was after their winter trainer and it would only take 23 tyres. Mind you that frame design has been going since the dawn of time.

I run 25 Durano's. Will double check prior to ordering, thanks!
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    My thinking for my next commuter, if ever required. Carbon frame - no corrosion. Full guards - keep yourself dry, if not everyone else. Disc brakes - Replacing discs is easier than rims. Commuting in cruddy weather takes it's toll.
    Edit - My Current commuter/winter bike has Chorus. Five years old, zero issues.

My current hack has discs but I'm sick and tired of them squealing when damp. I can live with it on the commute but when your on a club run in a tight group it's an absolute nightmare.

I don't know of many carbon frames with mudguard mounts.
  • I don't know of many carbon frames with mudguard mounts.

Both of my carbon disc-braked road bikes have mudguard mounts (not that I ever use them) - I think they're getting much more common on bikes with disc brakes. The Renegade takes a rack and has 3 bottle mounts too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    I've seen some elsewhere but a quick Google came up with this -
    http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/198 ... -mudguards
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I don't know of many carbon frames with mudguard mounts.

Both of my carbon disc-braked road bikes have mudguard mounts (not that I ever use them) - .

Out of interest, why? Just prefer riding without, getting a wet backside?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Don't use clip ons with carbon, they can wear through...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited February 2017
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Don't use clip ons with carbon, they can wear through...

Really? Where can I read about that...or is it personal experience? :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yes its true, after a couple of weeks with clip on guards my ribble carbon sportive now has very deep grooves in the rear stays, was my own fault i shoukd have used the provided plastic protectors, i now use bits of old inner tubes, i see sks raceblade pro now have redesigned the mounts.

Pretty stupid to design something to protect from the weather that eats carbon
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have been extremely pleased with my Jamis Renegade Expert. A lot more suited for commuting / winter bike duties that my crosser (All City Macho Man).

Shame they don't sell this model yet in Evans. I managed to get mine for a little over a grand last year in the sales.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,739
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes its true, after a couple of weeks with clip on guards my ribble carbon sportive now has very deep grooves in the rear stays, was my own fault i shoukd have used the provided plastic protectors, i now use bits of old inner tubes, i see sks raceblade pro now have redesigned the mounts.

Pretty stupid to design something to protect from the weather that eats carbon
    From my experience, they'll strip the paint off metal frames, too. Grit gets under the little rubber grip pads then vibration grinds it back and forth. Oh, and the rubber straps perish as well. Fit proper guards if you can.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Used my Ribble Gran Fondo for years commuting. Uses Crud RR Mk2 and you do need to helitape all contact points - and keep an eye on the hidden ones (under the fork, behind BB) as the guards will eat through helitape in their eagerness to feast on the carbon.

But otherwise fine - after a clean and polish the bike looks almost like new and it must have near 40,000 miles on it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    From my experience, they'll strip the paint off metal frames, too.

yup I removed mine this weekend as part of my working out where I can save weight ... only been on 6 months and taken the paint off :cry:

as it goes being a comuter and parking it in a bike park every day has seen loads of chips all over it anyway, so you don't really notice

what I did notice though was when I ran a acetone soaked cloth over the frame to remove the sticky goop from a removed sticker, all my nail varnish came off the bike ... DOAH !
  • I've decided to go along the N+1 route. Going to keep my disc braked, full mudguard and rack heavy monster for when the roads are salted and the weather is crap. Have bought a carbon 'sportive' bike which I will use without guards for the dry commutes and the weekend club runs...unless the weather is good and then the 'good bike' can come out :-)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    New Pro Carbon looks nice, much better than rather dated old one. Ribble have clearly found a new supplier or new set of moulds...wonder whose they're using (for example, Merlin use old Ridley ones)

Personally, having tried a bike with disc brakes, I'd now want them for anything, just love the control and the ability to go downhill FASTER.

And definitely fit clip-ons, if only out of respect for fellow riders.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I thought the whole point of a Ti bike was that you could use it for anything? Surely that is the wrong way around to use a carbon bike for commuting and winter but a Ti bike only when its nice???
  • apreading wrote:
    I thought the whole point of a Ti bike was that you could use it for anything? Surely that is the wrong way around to use a carbon bike for commuting and winter but a Ti bike only when its nice???

I agree with what your saying. However my bike is specced with Campag Record and Mavic Cosmic Carbones, it's always been my 'best' bike and I don't want to be using Record stuff in crappy weather as it's expensive to replace.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. I'd have put the posh Campag stuff on a nice new carbon race frameset, and turned the Ti bike into a weather-proof commuter. But then you'd only have 2 bikes, and your way you've got 3.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I used Carbon cross bike for a year for commuting great fun - on heavyweight steel now as was being silly, taking risks, and the bike paths were too crowded and hectic. I would suggest seriously consider getting something with (at least the possibility) of fitting wider tyres and, if you can be bothered with the setup time, a set of tubeless wheels - just such a nice ride