Convert from 7 speed freewheel to 8 speed cassette freehub

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hello all.

I'm currently riding a Raleigh Misceo 1.0 hybrid. Link below for details:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Misceo- ... _66244.htm

I've been riding this thing since June last year (with a gap of 3 months before Christmas) and am steadily increasing my mileage. It's not the best thing to spend nearly two hours at a time on, but will do until I hit my personal targets and buy something more suitable.

I'm having a lot of issues with the rear wheel and general bits and bobs that don't seem to like the amount of usage I'm giving them. The bike is setup with a 7 speed freewheel assembly and I'm wondering if it would be ok to swap this to maybe a 8 speed freehub system? This would give me more choice for wheels and components and would be an interesting learning project for me.

I've measured the dropouts on the rear and they have a distance of 135mm. I'm guessing that this will allow me to utilise a freehub of maybe 8 speed?

As far as I'm aware, to convert over I'll need a new rear wheel, new freehub cassette, new rear derailleur, new shifters, new chain (it needs replacing anyway) and some re-cabling. I have seen threads stating I'll need to change the front derailleur and even the chain ring? Does this list sound complete?

Thanks for any help given. :)

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You can change to 8 speed, but a normal rear wheel for roadbikes will not fit directly into the frame because it's 130 mm wide.
    Depends on the stiffness of the rear frame if it can be pushed together safely to 130 mm.
    Besides that, wheels for hybrids with cassette freehub and 135 mm do exist, but less common than 130 mm.
    Modern freehubs take 8, 9 , 10 or even 11 speed , the choice is yours.
  • benws1
    Thanks.

I know the 135mm wheels for hybrids exist as I bought one for a different bike last year. Was thinking of getting the same cassette etc. as the other bike (town hack), so I can swap onto the Misceo and vice versa.

I think I'll go 8 speed as that is what is on the other bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Keezx wrote:
    You can change to 8 speed, but a normal rear wheel for roadbikes will not fit directly into the frame because it's 130 mm wide.
    Depends on the stiffness of the rear frame if it can be pushed together safely to 130 mm.
    Besides that, wheels for hybrids with cassette freehub and 135 mm do exist, but less common than 130 mm.

Might be a bit of a left field solution but why not consider sourcing a rear disc wheel built on a normal road rim with brake track such as the H Plus Son Archetype. The disc hub will have the 135mm ORD that you need and the freehub to take an 8,9, 10 or 11 speed cassette. You will have the extra weight penalty of the disc hub but at least you won't need to squeeze the rear triangle together
  • benws1
    Never thought of that. Something to look into.

Thanks.
  • keezx
    arlowood wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Might be a bit of a left field solution but why not consider sourcing a rear disc wheel built on a normal road rim with brake track such as the H Plus Son Archetype. The disc hub will have the 135mm ORD that you need and the freehub to take an 8,9, 10 or 11 speed cassette. You will have the extra weight penalty of the disc hub but at least you won't need to squeeze the rear triangle together

Good solution , but wheel has to be custom built and will be rather expensive.
  • benws1
    Thanks all.

So I guess with my list above (new shifters, new chain, new rd, new wheel with freehub etc.) I'm covered for a conversion?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need a rear mech, the cable pull ratio is the same 7 to 8 speed, the only issue can be the mech not having enough travel for the wider spacing from lowest to highest but its rarely an issue. Also 7 and 8 speed chains are the same so you only need a new chain if yours is worn.

Why not jump straight to 9 speed, the change list (except the chain becomes a must) is the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benws1
    I currently have another bike using an 8-speed setup. Thought it would make wheel changes easy if required.

Could do 9 speed though. Don't see why not. :)

Thanks.
  • keezx
    While I think that for roadbikes 9 speed is "the sweet spot", for hybrids like your Raleigh it might be 8 speed for versatility, durability, economy, considering it has a triple at the front.
    My 3 roadbikes are still equipped with 9 speed for those reasons, no one is gonna tell me what I need....
  • benws1
    Good point. It does have the triple on the front. 8 speed will probably be fine. :)