Tyre for Alex Ace-19 32H

navinbike
navinbike Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I have a Hybrid bike ( Pinnacle Neon 2 from Evans Cycles ) with rim model “Alex Ace-19 32H” and would like to know what is the maximum width of tyre I can fit on this rim.

Understand that the inner diameter of these rims is 17mm.

Tried to do some research myself and got some information on the below website.
https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/reifenmasse.html

As per this I should be able to be able to fit a tyre of width 52mm.

However when I got in touch with Evans, from where I have bought the cycle, they say that I should not go above 35mm.

Can someone tell me if I am ok to fit a tyre of about 50mm?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    According to the ETRTO tabel you can fit 50 mm tyres on 17C rims without safety issues.
    This tabel doesn't say anything about riding properties though.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Mtb rider back in the 90's fitted 50mm knobblies to mavic 317's or whatever they where called back then. We thought they were fine then of course no we know that is not optimal but it was o.k.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Inner diameter of 17mm, wow!

My MTB has 2.25" on 19mm rims just fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keezx
    A hybrid bike is not a MTB.
  • The Rookie
    Which of course is meaningless, they are the same rim profile (and are frequently the same rim) and we are talking tyres with the same basic construction, still don't let logic get in the way of a meaningless statement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keezx
    The meaning is the different riding surface and tyre pressure.....
  • The Rookie
    Irrelevant as I said.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have you plenty of space for clearance ?
  • The Rookie
    If you look at photo's it looks like it will be restricted between the seatstays, the max width Evans fit is a 32mm. May be able to get a bit wider on the front by the looks of it.
  • I took the bike to a local Evans shop and was told that it is not the Rim which is a problem, but the frame.
    They advised me not to go more than 35c.
    As it is a hybrid bike, if the tyre is too thick it will rub against the frame. ( However the guy on the Evans website chat said that the bigger tyres wont fit the Rim and will bob out.... which seems to be incorrect )

I measured inside the frame and the clearance gap seems to be about 40mm.
    Went ahead and bought a tyre of 38c.
    Not fitted it yet.
    Job for this weekend.
    Fingers crossed.

Will keep posted.

Regards,

Navin
  • keezx
    The Rookie wrote:
    Irrelevant as I said.....

You can repeat it a 1000 times if you like, but still a big tyre on a narrow rim at low pressure is not the same as a narrower tyre on the same rim at a bit higher pressure.
    All parameters are related and the combination makes the difference in properties.
  • The Rookie
    But similar size tyres will have similar max pressures be they Hybrid or MTB.