Disk loose

asaf123098
asaf123098 Posts: 33
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. i have the Merida 120-500 bike.

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... 0-164.html

My disks (both front and rear) have an annoying loose.

I i pull my brakes, and then try to gently move the bike back and forth, i can feel and see a slight movement (the rotor doesnt move so i assume its not a brake pads problem..), the movement is between the wheel and the brake rotor.
Can i fix it some how?

Thanks!!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you checked that the screws are tight?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably the pads moving slightly in the calliper, they need space as they have to be able to move in and out freely and not jam when they expand with heat, can you fix it, yes stop rocking the bike backwards and forwards with the brakes pulled (as there is no need to) and you can stop annoying yourself.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • as above, couple of my bikes make a rather loud clicking noise & you can feel what seems like alot of movement when rocking the bike forwards & backwards with a brake on

on mine its defo down to the brake pads moving inside the caliper as they are a loose fit & the securing pin is just a simple metal splitpin & thus does nothing to reduce movement of the pads & like mentioned above is perfectly normal ( you may also find you have exactly the same noise on your car too for exactly the same reasons ( its just harder to create & hear said noise :D )

the noise is much less on other bikes i have though but they have differing pad designs & securing methods which can both significantly help reduce the noise.

so as long as the bolts holding the disk on ( or the centre lock cap if you have that version of brake disk ) are secured suitably then the disk will not be the problem & you can stop worrying.
  • ok, got it, thanks!