FMB Slalom

VamP
VamP Posts: 674
edited December 2016 in Cyclocross
Shopping for a new intermediate tub for next season. Anyone using the Slalom want to share their their experience?

Looks like it's between that and the Grifo.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've got a pair; sort-of half way between a Grifo and a Super Mud. It's a deep tread (like the Super Mud, deeper than the Grifo). Only tried them a couple of times so far, it's been so dry I've been on my Grifo/Fango combination almost all the time.

Hard cornering on damp grass (with firm ground underneath) I actually thought the Grifo had more grip. Seemed to be quite grippy in wet muddy conditions, clogged a bit when it dried out and got sticky, but the Supermud I had on the other wheel was clogging too. My gut feel is that I'm going to end up using them on those days when I can't decide whether to go Intermediate or Mud, and that I'm going to end up using the front more than the rear.

I have the green (more expensive) ones, and the sidewalls look a lot more robust than the standard FMBs. I'm hoping they end up being better value for money by lasting longer.

You're very welcome to try them out next time we're at the same event.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    I had thought you had a set. Thanks for the insights.

I have a set of Chicanes that is my default for almost everything that's not actual mud, I am looking for something to use on courses that are part gloop, and part fast sections.

I have had Grifo (well the Typhoon) before, and found them a bit sketchy in gloop, but as you say they clear well.

And now of course, there's the new Schwalbe offerings everyone is raving about :?
  • Slaloms are a re-jigged version of the older Superprestige pattern, with more tread blocks but a slightly lower profile to those blocks. So they're more of an all-rounder like a Typhoon than the SP, which was introduced before the Supermud existed and so was meant to take on pretty muddy conditions.
    I find the Slaloms to be very, very good on everything that doesn't require a Supermud. They're fast, predicatable and grippy. And they have the benefit of the FMB build quality.
  • VamP
    I sorta miss the days when there was one FMB for mud, one for dry and a fudge for inbetween. Now there's 6 or 7 of each type!

Does anyone know whether the green compound is worthwhile? I can see the rationale behind the more robust sidewalls, though from the pics it looks like the area around the edge of the base tape (where they always rot first) is still exposed.

Hmm...
  • Coming from a road perspective. A friend of mine bought two very expensive FMB Roubaix 25 mm... they both exploded within a few miles... inflated at 90 PSI.
    It is fair to say we weren't particulalry impressed about these artisan tyres. Even less impressed by Monsieur Francois Marie's customer service (via the retailer). He basically refused to acknowledge there was any problem with the tyres. I don't think I will ever buy or recommend FMB tyres to anybody
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    Does anyone know whether the green compound is worthwhile? I can see the rationale behind the more robust sidewalls, though from the pics it looks like the area around the edge of the base tape (where they always rot first) is still exposed.
    Just had a look at mine. Away from the tread there are three separate layers:
    1. The cotton sidewall (which, in this case, is green and shiny)
    2. Something that looks like a very wide base tape
    3. The base tape itself

From memory, the bit that always goes first is (1), at the junction with (2). As far as I can see, the green sidewall extends well underneath layer 2, so it looks as though it might be better protected at the normal point of failure. They're still almost new though, ask again in February.

No idea whether the green tread makes a tangible difference. It's supposed to be less hard-wearing, but I don't think I've ever managed to put any noticeable wear into the tread of a cotton CX tub, so I don't think that's an issue.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Coming from a road perspective. A friend of mine bought two very expensive FMB Roubaix 25 mm... they both exploded within a few miles... inflated at 90 PSI.
    Was that 90psi measured on a track pump, or a proper gauge? One of my track pumps is out by over 30% at that sort of pressure. Not only are cotton tubs unlikely to be particularly tolerant to being pumped up too hard, but it sort-of defeats the object.

Way OT (sorry VamP), but here's an interesting article on the pressures some pros use (or say they use) for Paris Roubaix:
    http://www.velonews.com/2012/04/bikes-a ... ing_212925
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Coming from a road perspective. A friend of mine bought two very expensive FMB Roubaix 25 mm... they both exploded within a few miles... inflated at 90 PSI.
    Was that 90psi measured on a track pump, or a proper gauge? One of my track pumps is out by over 30% at that sort of pressure. Not only are cotton tubs unlikely to be particularly tolerant to being pumped up too hard, but it sort-of defeats the object.

Way OT (sorry VamP), but here's an interesting article on the pressures some pros use (or say they use) for Paris Roubaix:
    http://www.velonews.com/2012/04/bikes-a ... ing_212925

Measured with a pump. Problem is if you don't write anything on the sidewall, no warning in the packaging, no information online, how is someone supposed to know that 90 PSI (or 100 for what that matters) is too much, when other similar tubulars are perfectly fine up to 130 PSI?
    If FMB only want to sell to PRO mechanics who know how to use them, then they should do so and avoid selling to the general public. If you want to sell to the general public, then you need to be a bit more specific about what your product is and how to use it. Inexistent customer service, pretty poor behaviour
  • VamP
    Well, it's a small business - Francois and three others I believe, so I don't think it's entirely fair to expect the same amount of customer service as say Continental.

Your friend's experience doesn't match mine, or many other FMB customers - I have FMB road tubs too, as do many I know. BTW I do pump them up to 130psi when stretching pre-gluing and never had an issue.

When you say they exploded, what gave way? The tube, the casing? Seems a bit odd in any case, I have always found them very well made and finished.

A friend had an issue with the tread peeling away from the carcass, sent them back to Francois and received them back re-glued free of charge - still using them now. Francois doesn't speak English, but I have always found him to be helpful in answering my (Google translated) enquiries.
  • VamP
    TGOTB wrote:
    They're still almost new though, ask again in February.

Sounds like I should postpone purchase till March, nothing to be gained by doing it now :D
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    Francois doesn't speak English, but I have always found him to be helpful in answering my (Google translated) enquiries.
    He was brilliant when I trashed a tyre 6 days before the Nationals, and didn't have a spare. I sent him a mail on Sunday night in pidgin French; reply came back almost instantly. Tyres in the post on Monday morning, arrived on Wednesday morning. They have the name of a US cycle shop on the sidewall, so he must have had to dip into a batch that had been made for another customer to sort me out...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP wrote:
    Well, it's a small business - Francois and three others I believe, so I don't think it's entirely fair to expect the same amount of customer service as say Continental.

Your friend's experience doesn't match mine, or many other FMB customers - I have FMB road tubs too, as do many I know. BTW I do pump them up to 130psi when stretching pre-gluing and never had an issue.

When you say they exploded, what gave way? The tube, the casing? Seems a bit odd in any case, I have always found them very well made and finished.

A friend had an issue with the tread peeling away from the carcass, sent them back to Francois and received them back re-glued free of charge - still using them now. Francois doesn't speak English, but I have always found him to be helpful in answering my (Google translated) enquiries.

the sidewall collapsed with an half an inch vertical cut in both cases... as they say, just riding along.

what I expect from any manufacturer, big or small, is a small leaflet that explains what to do and whatnot... saves them hassle in the first place. Besides, I would expect all tyres to have min and max pressure indicated on the sidewall... the fact they don't say is almost unique
  • tgotb
    Besides, I would expect all tyres to have min and max pressure indicated on the sidewall... the fact they don't say is almost unique
    And you actually believe the figures printed on sidewalls? My Vittorias, for example, state a minimum pressure of 60psi. Who rides with CX tyres at 60psi?!? I've never seen a CX tyre with realistic pressures printed on the sidewall.

It makes a lot more sense to me not to quote min/max pressures at all, than to quote silly numbers that no-one who knows what they're doing will pay any heed to. I've never bought pave-specific tubs, but the article I linked further up this thread suggests that tyre pressure choice for pave is every bit as critical as for CX.

When you buy a new pair of trousers, it normally comes with a label listing the fabric content and washing instructions in a gazillion languages; if you bought a handmade designer suit, it probably wouldn't have such a label. Think of an FMB tyre as a handmade designer suit, rather than one from M&S...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Besides, I would expect all tyres to have min and max pressure indicated on the sidewall... the fact they don't say is almost unique
    And you actually believe the figures printed on sidewalls? My Vittorias, for example, state a minimum pressure of 60psi. Who rides with CX tyres at 60psi?!? I've never seen a CX tyre with realistic pressures printed on the sidewall.

It makes a lot more sense to me not to quote min/max pressures at all, than to quote silly numbers that no-one who knows what they're doing will pay any heed to. I've never bought pave-specific tubs, but the article I linked further up this thread suggests that tyre pressure choice for pave is every bit as critical as for CX.

When you buy a new pair of trousers, it normally comes with a label listing the fabric content and washing instructions in a gazillion languages; if you bought a handmade designer suit, it probably wouldn't have such a label. Think of an FMB tyre as a handmade designer suit, rather than one from M&S...

I think you are confusing the waters.
    Min and max pressure might not be very relevant in cyclocross, but on a road tyre is about safety. If a tyre collapses at 50 mph the consequences might be quite dramatic. Any manufacturer with a bit of brain try to avoid being sued and therefore undergo extensive testing to make sure their tyres are safe to use within a range of pressure. It would appear that the range you can use FMB Roubaix at is pretty limited and therefore there is an even greater need for clarity.
    Whether pumps measure pressure accurately or not is irrelevant, as a manufacturer you have to budget for a bit of room either way. I am pretty sure that the numbers Vittoria quote can be exceeded one way or the other reasonably safely... it's part of what a responsible manufacturer should do.

My point is that FMB is not a responsible manufacturer... you get a tyre in a plastic envelope, with no indication whatsoever of what to do with it... it would appear that even folks with years of experience in fitting tyres get it wrong... simply by not knowing what is supposed to be right...

Your trousers analogy is flawed, nobody ever died for washing trousers at the wrong temperature... I don't care what is good or not, I care about what is safe and what is not
  • VamP
    You're probably better off not buying FMB tyres then. Now get off my thread :D
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    I really wish they'd bring back the pink sidewall.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • VamP
    I reckon Francois would make you some if you ask.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    VamP wrote:
    I reckon Francois would make you some if you ask.

Turns out he will. Also will do 28mm if you ask...

That's customer service!
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.