National HC 30th October

2»

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    john1967 wrote:
    maryka wrote:
    Having had a day to mull over this race, I will admit happily that the 30 sec intervals were mostly not a problem and improved the race for those spectating as the riders just came thick and fast. They had two start lines going which meant everyone got their full minute to get set up at the start, no stress about that. I did have to overtake one rider but she was quite gracious before the start saying she'd stay out of my way and I overtook her at the right turn which I took on the racing line to the right while she stuck to the left side. Cheers Fiona!

30 sec intervals definitely could be used again BUT only if it's seeded properly slowest-to-fastest to as to reduce overtaking as much as possible. And with the same start intervals for all of the competitors so it's the same for everyone.

The other criticisms I had about the event, namely how long it took to confirm entry and put out an official start sheet and other info, still stand. And I still believe that the field selection was not ideal, and that needs to be fixed for next year (which I believe the CTT will do).

Glad to hear you'll be heavily involved in the organisation of next years event or perhaps you could volunteer to marshal so someone less criticle could race,

when we organised RR's, the one think that really really p1ssed you off was people who came out with this line, as an organiser, you have to be open to criticism OR the sport doesn't evolve.
    Top riders like Maryka are NOT primadonnas, they are needed so to attract so called "lesser" riders and their critical input helps improve the next race..... and improve std's ...... as i said earlier, look at the times and numbers the women are now doing?

a National event, needing hotels to be booked weeks in advance, also needs entry confirmed asap.

We had a few frantic days to book accomodation, unless you think we can drive up from Cornwall and travel back all on the same day????
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't think anyone could really say that there aren't lessons to be learned from this year's champs...
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    mamba80 wrote:
    when we organised RR's, the one think that really really p1ssed you off was people who came out with this line, as an organiser, you have to be open to criticism OR the sport doesn't evolve.
    Top riders like Maryka are NOT primadonnas, they are needed so to attract so called "lesser" riders and their critical input helps improve the next race..... and improve std's ...... as i said earlier, look at the times and numbers the women are now doing?

a National event, needing hotels to be booked weeks in advance, also needs entry confirmed asap.

We had a few frantic days to book accomodation, unless you think we can drive up from Cornwall and travel back all on the same day????
    Genuinely, I have a lot of sympathy with this; however in mitigation (these are not excuses btw)..... I am led to believe that on the CTT entry online form that PB's for open HC's were omitted which led to the organisers having to trawl through all the entries and try and sort out who was a 'contender' - I doubt this will happen again - this is also why the seeding was a bit amiss. I am also led to believe that even though Matlock CC had applied for a road closure many months in advance (and had it agreed in principle) that the County Council, with less than a week to go, informed Matlock CC that a) the road was not going to be closed for the previously agreed time length, hence the 30 second start intervals, and b) they had to pay for a 'professional' road closure as us 'amateur' marshalls were not up to the job, hence why the guys with the white pick ups were everywhere (at considerable cost to the club). Considering all the above, generally the feedback has been positive. Lessons have been learned, and I was talking to the gent who is organising the national HC in 2018 and he is aware of all these issues.
    Mamba 80, if you are in this position again contact me as we have a spare room I will gladly let you stay :wink:
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Andcp wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Genuinely, I have a lot of sympathy with this; however in mitigation (these are not excuses btw)..... I am led to believe that on the CTT entry online form that PB's for open HC's were omitted which led to the organisers having to trawl through all the entries and try and sort out who was a 'contender' - I doubt this will happen again - this is also why the seeding was a bit amiss. I am also led to believe that even though Matlock CC had applied for a road closure many months in advance (and had it agreed in principle) that the County Council, with less than a week to go, informed Matlock CC that a) the road was not going to be closed for the previously agreed time length, hence the 30 second start intervals, and b) they had to pay for a 'professional' road closure as us 'amateur' marshalls were not up to the job, hence why the guys with the white pick ups were everywhere (at considerable cost to the club). Considering all the above, generally the feedback has been positive. Lessons have been learned, and I was talking to the gent who is organising the national HC in 2018 and he is aware of all these issues.
    Mamba 80, if you are in this position again contact me as we have a spare room I will gladly let you stay :wink:

Where is 2018 due to be? I'm organising next years, Northumberland.
  • andcp
    celbianchi wrote:
    Where is 2018 due to be? I'm organising next years, Northumberland.
    I think he told me Prescott, but I've slept since then; https://www.prescott-hillclimb.com/
  • andcp
    maryka wrote:
    You're probably right! I remember it was a 'famous' venue for cars, and I have been to sleep since then ;)
  • Interesting one!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Some one told me next yrs was prenteg must of being pulling my leg.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7466921?filter=overall