Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

National HC 30th October

andcpandcp Posts: 652
edited November 2016 in Amateur race
The National HC is in Matlock on the 30th October, up Bank Road again, same course as last time Matlock CC organised the Nationals:
http://www.matlockcyclingclub.org.uk/#! ... 2016/u3nzd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxijn4sKczw
The week before Matlock run a 'double header' - Riber HC in the Morning and Bank Road in the afternoon. A grand day out.
"It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
«1

Posts

  • Is the week before open event for "club riders" only or open to anybody?

    The TT rules & regulations seem to be a bit blurry on the subject
  • Unless it's a " come and try it" type event ( which this isn't) riders need to be members of a CTT registered club - it's about insurance.
  • LookyhereLookyhere Posts: 987
    Who on earth has ok d the start sheet? i mean a juvenile in the last 10 off and 30sec intervals for the first 150 riders!
    the seeding is also all over the place.

    if 1min intervals cant be done on this course, because of the 1200 start, then it should nt have been used, over taking is going to be a pia and dangerous, people tend to not ride in a straight line and the drafting rule?
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    when was the start sheet sent out. I entered but have heard nothing. If I am on the start sheet let me know
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • norvernrobnorvernrob Posts: 1,410
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Who on earth has ok d the start sheet? i mean a juvenile in the last 10 off and 30sec intervals for the first 150 riders!
    the seeding is also all over the place.

    if 1min intervals cant be done on this course, because of the 1200 start, then it should nt have been used, over taking is going to be a pia and dangerous, people tend to not ride in a straight line and the drafting rule?

    30s intervals? Wow. Those hairpins are extremely tight and the inside of the bends much steeper than the outsides. People are going to be delayed if they catch someone right in those spots.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just looked at the ctt website and there is no start sheet published can some look and see if malcolm borg is in. Kind off need to know really.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    Just looked at the ctt website and there is no start sheet published can some look and see if malcolm borg is in. Kind off need to know really.

    facebook....
    CTT National Hillclimb 2016

    and you ll see it.

    i concur, putting a 14yo in the last 5 is ridiculous, bad for him too, as is 30sec intervals for all the women, infact the first 150, also top riders havent got in either.
  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    norvernrob wrote:
    30s intervals? Wow. Those hairpins are extremely tight and the inside of the bends much steeper than the outsides. People are going to be delayed if they catch someone right in those spots.
    I think you must be thinking of a different climb...

    Start sheet on Facebook does look bizarre though.
  • marykamaryka Posts: 745
    There's no hairpins on Bank Rd (you're thinking of the Riber climb?) but in any case with lots of spectators and a closed/narrow road with slower people weaving -- it's still pretty steep at the top -- I reckon 30 sec intervals will cause some trouble for faster riders.

    Agree that it's just disrespectful to the top juniors and women for most of us to have to navigate overtaking someone (due to the seeding, not slowest to fastest) whilst most of the top men get a full minute between.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,133
    Just looked at the ctt website and there is no start sheet published can some look and see if malcolm borg is in. Kind off need to know really.


    No you aren't in.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    thegibdog wrote:
    norvernrob wrote:
    30s intervals? Wow. Those hairpins are extremely tight and the inside of the bends much steeper than the outsides. People are going to be delayed if they catch someone right in those spots.
    I think you must be thinking of a different climb...

    Start sheet on Facebook does look bizarre though.

    i thought he was taking the p1$$ tbh :lol:
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    maryka wrote:
    There's no hairpins on Bank Rd (you're thinking of the Riber climb?) but in any case with lots of spectators and a closed/narrow road with slower people weaving -- it's still pretty steep at the top -- I reckon 30 sec intervals will cause some trouble for faster riders.

    Agree that it's just disrespectful to the top juniors and women for most of us to have to navigate overtaking someone (due to the seeding, not slowest to fastest) whilst most of the top men get a full minute between.

    From the reply back from CTT i had, its because they ve only 3 hours of closed road, so they cant get all 240 up in that time with 1 min intervals.... unsuitable venue then surely?

    that said, alter the seeding and it would mitigate the problems.
  • marykamaryka Posts: 745
    Or just have the top 108 men and top 36 women and top 36 juniors as the 20% rule dictates... it's a national champs after all, for the top riders. Why cram as many as possible into 3 hours thus hugely increasing the workload of the timekeepers, the congestion at start/finish line, the queue for the (single) toilet at HQ....
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    maryka wrote:
    Or just have the top 108 men and top 36 women and top 36 juniors as the 20% rule dictates... it's a national champs after all, for the top riders. Why cram as many as possible into 3 hours thus hugely increasing the workload of the timekeepers, the congestion at start/finish line, the queue for the (single) toilet at HQ....

    yes but we are where we are, the 240 field has been announced and at the last moment the council killed the 1100 start and the 4 hour road closure, it p1ss poor that no one in CTT had the 4hr closure in writing .

    so redo the start order and dont use Bank again, esp if they ve just got ONE loo!!!!
  • giropaulgiropaul Posts: 414
    I'm sure that neither CTT or the organisers wanted to end up with all of this. We need to remember that without these volunteers there would be no races. It isn't unknown for councils to change closures, they can do so even if there is a firm commitment. For many events this means a late cancellation, not uncommon in road races. In this case I am sure all the parties have done the very best they could, maybe they are now feeling that cancelling would have been a better option for them?
    Going forward, I wonder if having all categories on the same hill on the same day is necessary. We don't expect the women's' , mens', junior road race championships to be on the same day and course.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,133
    There are toilets in the park not far from the foot of the climb - couple of hundred metres.

    As for using that course - good for spectators isn't it - depends what you think the sport should be about I suppose you could find a hill in the middle of nowhere easily enough. Wouldn't most riders prefer a bit more atmosphere and accept the 30 second intervals ? Agree the seeding is odd and if that was sorted the 30 second interval thing needn't be an issue as far as the hitters in all categories are concerned.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    CTT making BC look good by publishing the official startlist and distancing themselves from it at the same time.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,133
    Place your bets then - who is going to win ?

    I'm going to go for Joe Clark.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It's hard to look beyond Clark for the men's title, especially after Adam Kenway's recent incident. Paddy Power have him at 2-1 favourite which I think are still decent odds. I wonder whether Lee Baldwin has been getting some backing from people thinking the conditions might be changeable, given he's 5th favourite and off 2 hours before the last man.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,133
    Kenway - a week ago he was posting pictures of himself on a spinal board - if I'd known he was codding I could have cleaned up at the bookies
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • andcpandcp Posts: 652
    Hello DeV, what did you think of the event? after the dramas the organisers had during the run up I thought it went quite well (apart from the usual unforeseen dramas) and the 30 second starts for the first 120 competitors helped with the atmosphere. Thoughts?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,133
    Didn't go - I manage football team Sunday mornings and would have been pushing it to get over there for the favourites. People I know seem to have enjoyed it though.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • andcpandcp Posts: 652
    Ah, OK! Hope the footy went well ;)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • It was my first ever big hill climb event that I have gone to watch and I thought that the 30 second intervals were quite good for the spectators, the time flew by and the buzz was pretty constant. When the minute guys came out everybody seemed to be chatting amongst themselves and not getting involved as much. Shame you get the usual car drivers trying to gate crash the fun.
  • nochekmatenochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Weather wasn't great but I enjoyed watching the event and as has been said the 30 sec intervals worked well for the spectators.

    Chapeau to those racing up Bank Road - it was tough enough simply cycling up it beforehand (although my pal was entertaining everybody by pulling Sagan wheelies whilst cycling up the hill before the race - I was hoping that the cocky sod would hit the tarmac!)

    Well done to Kenway and Clark the local lads ... and well done to my pal for backing the ladies winner with £25 @ 3/1 with PaddyPower
  • andcpandcp Posts: 652
    Fancy having a go? great vid from Courtney Blockley Campton showing what it takes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX-BQJxea14
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • marykamaryka Posts: 745
    Having had a day to mull over this race, I will admit happily that the 30 sec intervals were mostly not a problem and improved the race for those spectating as the riders just came thick and fast. They had two start lines going which meant everyone got their full minute to get set up at the start, no stress about that. I did have to overtake one rider but she was quite gracious before the start saying she'd stay out of my way and I overtook her at the right turn which I took on the racing line to the right while she stuck to the left side. Cheers Fiona!

    30 sec intervals definitely could be used again BUT only if it's seeded properly slowest-to-fastest to as to reduce overtaking as much as possible. And with the same start intervals for all of the competitors so it's the same for everyone.

    The other criticisms I had about the event, namely how long it took to confirm entry and put out an official start sheet and other info, still stand. And I still believe that the field selection was not ideal, and that needs to be fixed for next year (which I believe the CTT will do).
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    Yep, the 30 seconds start did work very well and of course could allow a slightly bigger field in future? hopefully, the seeding they had this year wont be used again.

    How did the fixie work Maryka? (i think i saw you on one!) my daughter was going to use this set up but following DnV and a heavy cold, she had other things to worry about :(

    What i cant believe is the change over just 8 years in womens cycling, the 2008 Bank Road nat HC attracted a hand full of female entrants but this year the std was very high and even those placing well outside the top 20 this year would have been top 5 in 2008.
  • marykamaryka Posts: 745
    Fixed was actually really nice to ride but I think that climb on fixed just doesn't suit me having to be out of the saddle so much. So whilst I put out a watts PB for that duration and both me and the bike were lighter than last year, I still was nowhere near a podium let alone a win. Even with a lightweight geared bike doing those watts I still couldn't have gone 10 secs faster I don't think. So the crown has been passed on!

    A big part of my relative poor performance is like you said though, just so much more quality and depth in the women's field this year, and it has been improving year on year since I started doing it. Really good to see, and a lot of the top women are putting significant effort into making their bikes lighter too.
  • john1967john1967 Posts: 366
    maryka wrote:
    Having had a day to mull over this race, I will admit happily that the 30 sec intervals were mostly not a problem and improved the race for those spectating as the riders just came thick and fast. They had two start lines going which meant everyone got their full minute to get set up at the start, no stress about that. I did have to overtake one rider but she was quite gracious before the start saying she'd stay out of my way and I overtook her at the right turn which I took on the racing line to the right while she stuck to the left side. Cheers Fiona!

    30 sec intervals definitely could be used again BUT only if it's seeded properly slowest-to-fastest to as to reduce overtaking as much as possible. And with the same start intervals for all of the competitors so it's the same for everyone.

    The other criticisms I had about the event, namely how long it took to confirm entry and put out an official start sheet and other info, still stand. And I still believe that the field selection was not ideal, and that needs to be fixed for next year (which I believe the CTT will do).

    Glad to hear you'll be heavily involved in the organisation of next years event or perhaps you could volunteer to marshal so someone less criticle could race,
Sign In or Register to comment.