Not very friendly .....

2»

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I always nod or do a raise of the fingers wave because I like to think I am polite, I rarely even look at them though as I don't really care if they wave back or not. If I'm in a group though mid conversation, I don't stop it just to say hello to some random on a bike.

Raise of the fingers wave... yes, I know what you mean. Just make sure you have a clear exit.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    These days if someone offends you on a ride you can always look them up on Strava and tell them what you think of them...or hunt them down and kill them.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • If someone doesn't acknowledge my wave whilst out cycling I usually start crying.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Pootled to the local shops this morning on the MTB, the shops are located on a residential estate with an access road that loops around. Decided to go the long way back and going round a lefthand bend was confronted buy a guy on a road bike, skin suit, areo hemlet riding at speed on my side of the road, passed me with about a foot spare. I was so startled that I didn't have time to smile, wave or say hello to him. He on the other hand had a look of disgust, I was probably ruining his line around the bend don't cha know.

He must have been a local and knew the road layout, the road is wide so visibility is reasonable, and that the traffic would be light at that time of day 11.30am. Still had I decided to take the car, things might have been different.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    DJ58 wrote:
    Pootled to the local shops this morning on the MTB, the shops are located on a residential estate with an access road that loops around. Decided to go the long way back and going round a lefthand bend was confronted buy a guy on a road bike, skin suit, areo hemlet riding at speed on my side of the road, passed me with about a foot spare. I was so startled that I didn't have time to smile, wave or say hello to him. He on the other hand had a look of disgust, I was probably ruining his line around the bend don't cha know.

He must have been a local and knew the road layout, the road is wide so visibility is reasonable, and that the traffic would be light at that time of day 11.30am. Still had I decided to take the car, things might have been different.

Sounds like you encountered a prime example of the lesser spotted f@ckwit!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    he had probably been working up to a KOM for the last 3 months and you just cost him 0.3seconds

now he only has 2 months left before the stats for the year are reset ! .. that's got to make you grumpy. ...... OR ..... maybe he just hates MTB'ers ?
  • I love threads like this, they make me feel like I'm not a beginner any more. No faster mind you, but not a beginner.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Theres groups and groups - some maybe race squads on a serious training sessions - so IME they often don't wave or say hello - I would say on balance most cyclists give a nod.

I started cycling in the late 80's - For some reason I brought a road bike, whilst the emerging trend was MTB (or ATB as they were briefly known) - Road bikes were pretty unfashionable in those days, so sometimes on a 2 hour outing I might only see one or two cyclists - most of them would give a nod - even though I was an obvious newbie - in lycra shorts and baseball boots ! (cringe, cringe)

Anyway I always try to say hello - but sometimes theres just that many out nowadays - it does get a bit of a pain - when a cyclist is coming in the opposite direction every couple of minutes !

(you don't wear baseball boots when cycling do you ? - because you're really not one of use until you've got shoes with cleats !!!)
  • Rigga wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    Hard to believe this topic hasn't come up before ;-p DAILY!!!

For the record, I rarely ever acknowledge other cyclists, for several reasons;

1) I'm a bit awkward
    2) I hate over exuberance
    3) I hate other people
    4) I ride alone for good reason
    5) if I waved at every cyclist on a weekend, it'd be all I'd do - I must pass more than a hundred on a weekend ride
    6) it;s not my job to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside
    7) it's not primary school where we all wave and hold hands
    8 ) other than the fact we happen to both be riding a bike, we likely have less than zero in common
    9) I'm a bit awkward (did I already say that one?)

I hope I never get stuck in a lift with you

Have to agree on this one. Many of them are ****s. Was commuting to work yesterday and pushing my bike past a load of people. One asshole was in a rush and looked like he was about to walk strait into me. I stopped dead and the stupid bastard still had trouble passing me. He caught the side of his leg on on of my pedals.
    People in general are worse than lemmings. They just get in each others way and I find them infuriating. This is why I always try to avoid crowded places, but not always possible.
  • antfly wrote:
    These days if someone offends you on a ride you can always look them up on Strava and tell them what you think of them...or hunt them down and kill them.

I think there are laws against that sort of thing, well there should be about the Strava crime
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Im surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but one big reason why you didn't receive any "Hellos" is the shear popularity of the cycling routes around here (I live about 12 miles away from Ilkley and cycled there many times).
    To put how busy this place is into context... a quick search on Strava shows a seg from Ilkley to Bolton Abbey has 76,216 Attempts By 10,469 People. The other direction, Ilkley to Burley-in-Walfdale 77,227 Attempts By 7,173 People.
    So I can see why some other cyclists get fed up with saying hello. You'd literally be doing it every 10 seconds on a nice summers weekend ride.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    ben@31 wrote:
    Im surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but one big reason why you didn't receive any "Hellos" is the shear popularity of the cycling routes

Err, see my reply - 8th post, point #5!
  • Secteur wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    Im surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but one big reason why you didn't receive any "Hellos" is the shear popularity of the cycling routes

As its nearly November there will be a lot less leisure cyclists on the road, nothing to worry about for the next 5 months
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Secteur wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Sat alone at a bench outside a cafe - said hello and was ignored - now that's rude and u friendly ( perhaps I didn't bow down to their greatness )
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Secteur wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

As its nearly November there will be a lot less leisure cyclists on the road, nothing to worry about for the next 5 months
    Still late October.
    And, 4 months. March can be very nice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Secteur wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

Sat alone at a bench outside a cafe - said hello and was ignored - now that's rude and u friendly ( perhaps I didn't bow down to their greatness )

Ha! Anyone stopped for a rest at a cafe absolutely doesnt deserve a hello! Poor weekling as well as needy.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ben@31 wrote:
    Im surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but one big reason why you didn't receive any "Hellos" is the shear popularity of the cycling routes around here (I live about 12 miles away from Ilkley and cycled there many times).
    To put how busy this place is into context... a quick search on Strava shows a seg from Ilkley to Bolton Abbey has 76,216 Attempts By 10,469 People. The other direction, Ilkley to Burley-in-Walfdale 77,227 Attempts By 7,173 People.
    So I can see why some other cyclists get fed up with saying hello. You'd literally be doing it every 10 seconds on a nice summers weekend ride.

That back road from Weston Lane to Bolton Abbey is just waaaay too busy at weekends - the number of times I've nearly been front-ended by someone going too fast the other way.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Svetty wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

That back road from Weston Lane to Bolton Abbey is just waaaay too busy at weekends - the number of times I've nearly been front-ended by someone going too fast the other way.....

The first time I cycled there on Lowfield Ln and W Hall Ln, so many people were cycling in the opposite direction that I actually thought to myself "Is there a sportive on today that I don't know about"

I bet the local car driver must love us cyclists on that singletrack road!
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby