Not very friendly .....

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2016 in Road beginners
Full day out on the bike today . Ventured through Ilkley and came across quite a few large groups of cyclists turned out in their club colours ...I said " hello " or " good morning " as we passed in opposite directions .... was amazed at the response or should I say lack of responses from other cyclists . Is it too much effort to acknowledge a lone cyclist?

I found the attitude quite rude. Not exactly the welcome to road cycling I was hoping for.
And before anyone says they were busy concentrating on their training regime etc ... this wasn't the case ... too busy chatting amongst yourselves to say " hello "?

I stopped for a water and biscuit break further up the road only to be ignored by yet another small group who sat on the benches opposite and again didn't respond when I said good morning .

" welcome to cycling " ?????

I still enjoyed the day and my first 50 Miler

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Congratulations on your first 50 miles.

Don't forget a Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman except for the generous nature. Plenty of hellos down here in Shropshire, probably because they're all inbred and related ;-)
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have come across this type of behaviour occasionally, matching club kit riding two abreast at speed, I just assumed it was because I was a solo rider on a lowly Giant Defy, wasn't in their club and not known to them, doesn't particularly bother me though but.

On the other hand, I came across a club ride last summer who happened to be going the same way as me on my usual loop. I got chatting to the ride leader and he explained that they were an informal relaxed group, no club kit, open to all abilities. He invited me to ride with them, which I did until our routes diverged. So there are friendly cyclists out there.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I personally say hello or more often a subtle nod, which may not get noticed. Don't give a toss if someone doesn't say hello back.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I ride with two clubs and always acknowledge other riders whether passing in opposite directions or over taking regardless of what they're wearing or riding.Some return the greeting some don't.I find the same happens when MTBing.
    Some people just aren't sociable.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I personally say hello or more often a subtle nod, which may not get noticed. Don't give a toss if someone doesn't say hello back.
    ^^This
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    I acknowledge people with similar interests.
    I don't assume that they are now my friends.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Hard to believe this topic hasn't come up before ;-p DAILY!!!

For the record, I rarely ever acknowledge other cyclists, for several reasons;

1) I'm a bit awkward
    2) I hate over exuberance
    3) I hate other people
    4) I ride alone for good reason
    5) if I waved at every cyclist on a weekend, it'd be all I'd do - I must pass more than a hundred on a weekend ride
    6) it;s not my job to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside
    7) it's not primary school where we all wave and hold hands
    8 ) other than the fact we happen to both be riding a bike, we likely have less than zero in common
    9) I'm a bit awkward (did I already say that one?)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    The daily wave/hello thread.... Nothing changes
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It happens all the time, not just cycling. I went to tesco yesterday and was buying sausages ... and there were two other people also in the aisle buying sausages so I waved hello to them because we both have the same interest in buying sausages and I felt the need to identify myself with them over a similar interest. Neither one said hello back. How unfriendly are sausage eaters ? All I wanted was validation that we were all buying sausages.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    fat daddy wrote:
    It happens all the time, not just cycling. I went to tesco yesterday and was buying sausages ... and there were two other people also in the aisle buying sausages so I waved hello to them because we both have the same interest in buying sausages and I felt the need to identify myself with them over a similar interest. Neither one said hello back. How unfriendly are sausage eaters ? All I wanted was validation that we were all buying sausages.
    Post of the week 8)
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Secteur wrote:

1) I'm a bit awkward
    3) I hate other people
    5) if I waved at every cyclist on a weekend, it'd be all I'd do - I must pass more than a hundred on a weekend ride
    8 ) other than the fact we happen to both be riding a bike, we likely have less than zero in common

I hope I never get stuck in a lift with you
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    fat daddy wrote:

Is being at Tesco buying sausages a euphemism for something else ?

Especially as you mentioned sausage eaters are unfriendly :o
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Lucky they were going the other way. If it's the same direction you've got all the wheelsucking/not wheelsucking lets have a race! Who's fitter? Mentality.

Personally I like to follow the once a week road warrior CF groups that look like pros in everything other than that they are lardy but don't have much fitness, out of wheelsuck range and pass them on a cat 4, 3, or 2 hill on my 'entry level' bike. I always say 'hi' when I pass them.
  • Sadly some people get into the "Us Vs. Them" mentality, and don't associate with people "outside" of their groups. This includes clubs and stuff.

Don't let it get you down. It's still a friendly sport. There are enough people who you'll meet who are small time, new time, long time, or even loner clubs who will be friendly with you. Most people I know and bike with are all friendly and just love having someone to ride along with them.
  • fat daddy
    Kajjal wrote:
    Is being at Tesco buying sausages a euphemism for something else ?

:oops:
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Do you want a cuddle
  • fat daddy
    Vslowpace wrote:
    Do you want a cuddle

There si a spreadsheet in the commuter forums to "find a buddy" .. perhaps we could utilise that for riders that want cuddles ? .... or sausages
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Most people aren't wilfully rude so I guess they were too busy in their own conversations to hear you. And its the same everywhere I guess - people will concentrate on their mates than strangers - in any sport or situation ?
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I always nod or do a raise of the fingers wave because I like to think I am polite, I rarely even look at them though as I don't really care if they wave back or not. If I'm in a group though mid conversation, I don't stop it just to say hello to some random on a bike.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    ZMC888 wrote:
    Lucky they were going the other way. If it's the same direction you've got all the wheelsucking/not wheelsucking lets have a race! Who's fitter? Mentality.

Personally I like to follow the once a week road warrior CF groups that look like pros in everything other than that they are lardy but don't have much fitness, out of wheelsuck range and pass them on a cat 4, 3, or 2 hill on my 'entry level' bike. I always say 'hi' when I pass them.
    that was you that made me look like i was standing still then!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've perfected my barely perceptible roadie nod so that if the other rider doesn't respond I can pretend I didn't do it. Sometimes when I'm cold / wet / knackered / grumpy I don't bother anyway.

Having said that, yesterday everyone I passed did grunt / nod / raise a finger (no, not like that!) Two solo riders must've been doing the same circular route as me but in the other direction because I passed them both twice and still said hello on each occasion.
  • I have to restrict my waving at other cyclists as otherwise I would return home from each ride with a repetitive strain injury. I acknowledge other cyclists by a slow raising my right fingers off the bar, but only on the following circumstances;
    -they have to be on a road bike
    -travelling at least as fast as I think I'm going
    -dressed in lycra
    -not dressed in ridiculous hi viz stuff
    -not wearing white shorts/tights/shoes
    -wearing shades
    -not in a group of more than 5
    -not walking
    and preferably holding up a line of cars.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Secteur wrote:

1) I'm a bit awkward
    3) I hate other people

My sentiments exactly.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    taking offense at things that should not offend (like a hello not being reciprocated) is why we have gossip in the world. I dont gossip i could not care less if someone I know was so in the zone when the rode passed that they did not notice my hello Dave.

I dont think any less of Dave for not noticing me, i will still be freindly with him when I next see him. don't get so worked up or annoyed by things like this. Life is way to short. Just go ride your bike and enjoy it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    if you think other cyclists not saying hello is very friendly, you ought to try riding round some of the places Ive been, nothing quite up to motorist abuse levels, but Ive heard some quite choice stuff lobbed in my direction on occasion from other passing cyclists.

just this weekend I assume the guy on the other bike was directing his venting at me, as theres fat chance the car that had just overtaken me heard him and certainly no-one else was around :roll: I was just riding along a road, occasional cars parked on my right hand side, probably in a second position, certainly not kerb hugging but not that defensively riding, knew a car was behind me approaching fast, knew they werent going to waste any time bothering to pick a good spot to overtake so I couldnt and didnt try to stop them, and they of course chose the point which put them momentarily head on with the other cyclist coming the other way or at least squeezed his space considerably, because the car had to swing out that tiny bit further to get around me than had I been hugging the side of the road. why the guy thought that was my fault I dont know...I chose not to respond with a wave and "hello bleep bleep idiot" back.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Rigga wrote:
    Secteur wrote:

1) I'm a bit awkward
    3) I hate other people

I hope I never get stuck in a lift with you

Actually, the ideal person to get stuck with, no need for small talk.
  • Secteur
    Why do the OP's never return to these sort of threads?

Post an runs (especially when it's a topic that has been done to death, resurrected and murdered again several thousand times per week) need a follow up!
  • Secteur
    Or maybe he's working on his next thread;

"Why does my botty hurt after a long ride"
  • My personal favourite in the all time hit (and run) post parade is the old chestnut about RLJer cyclists.