Boardman CX team 2014

Norwichpaul
Norwichpaul Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Maybe I should have done more homework , Hay Ho too late know as I have bought a Boardman CX team 2014 from Halfords at a clearance price. I have since read that these bikes suffer from. BB issues a lot. Can anyone advise me on the tools that I require and a suitable replacement BB for when the repair will be required.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You may be lucky. Generally they fail quickly if they're going to fail and the shop will fix it. On Commuting Chat there's a long thread dedicated to the Boardman CX.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • They rarely require more than a clean of the bearings and retorque of the chainset.
    They can become 'clicky' after a bedding in period and will be checked at your 6 week service.
    If you really want rid of the PF30 then you can swap it out for ann adapter from Praxis or similar
  • Hi all, I'm a newbie looking to get into a amature Cyclocross racing. Just looking to take part, not expecting to win or be near the front of the field etc.

I've seen a 2014 Boardman CX team in my local Halfords. I was just wondering if these bikes are race ready? I'm on a bit of a budget, so don't really want to be spending too much more.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2014

Price is £520 and I can get an extra 10% off, so £468. Seems like a fair spec for the price.

Thanks in advance.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    More than adequate for racing and an absolute steal at stated price considering the spec.
  • Thanks for the quick response.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I have had no issues with the BB30 on mine. There might be variability in the build that makes some people suffer breakdowns. It might also be the way they are treated - grinding instead of spinning, but then I suppose a CX bike is supposed to get jumped on a fair bit.
    However even at 86Kg, a mix of roads , really bad roads, disused railways and my share of kerbs, I had mine (2nd hand) for 7 months, but I haven't found a way to wear it out yet.