Tacx T1000 Antares Rollers

I'm planning on getting some rollers from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-t ... es-rollers

just wondered can I just put my bike on them and ride? or do you need a special roller tire?

also are they a good investment, I realise they may be tricky to use at first.

Good price plus you can use your 10% BC discount :)
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I have a set of those and I love them. They're much more engaging to use than a turbo as you need to concentrate more, rather than just turning your brain off and pedaling like on the turbo (I have 2 of those as well). You can also practice things to improve your balance like going handsfree and juggling (okay maybe not for a while). Apparently the pros set them up in a circle in a group session and throw a medicine ball between themselves.

I never bother changing tyres, but make sure that they're relatively clean.

As oxoman said, make sure you have some support next to you. I still set them up next to a long workbench and have support on the other side as well. Just in case, like. Not because I'm scared of course....

Funnily enough I can always get my heart rate much higher on the rollers than the turbo.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I recently got a set of these too.

Didn't take me long to get the hang of them, set them up next to my stairs (could lean against the handrail part) in my hallway. I didn't relax and my hands were killing afterwards.

My advice is relax and focus on a point away from you (2m or so)

I bought mine 2nd hand off eBay for £80, so you're never going to lose much if you decide they aren't for you.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I've a set for sale if you're interested. They have had the crap bearings upgraded to SKF bearings so will last forever
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    47p2 wrote:
    I've a set for sale if you're interested. They have had the crap bearings upgraded to SKF bearings so will last forever

Have you got any details on the bearing specs?
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Have you got any details on the bearing specs?

Sorry no, just gave the old bearings to my local engineering shop and they ordered the replacements for me