QUICK RELEASE REAR AXLE ADVICE...

machinebike
machinebike Posts: 39
edited October 2016 in MTB general
When I tighten the quick release on my rocky mountain rm 9 , Im having trouble keeping wheel in center of swing arm...is it safe to have one side of axle not resting completely against swing arm drop outs in order to center wheel?

I liked it better when I had a solid bolting axle but switched hubs with a shimano xt and it came with a quick release.

I wonder what solid axle I may be able to swap out the quick release axle with on the Shimano xt??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, and having a solid axle should make no difference. The end that fits in the drop outs is the same size.

Is your axle not centered, so you are running on the skewer instead of the axle?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Can you post a picture of the problem?
  • cooldad wrote:
    No, and having a solid axle should make no difference. The end that fits in the drop outs is the same size.

Is your axle not centered, so you are running on the skewer instead of the axle?

i think the way my swingarm set up is on my 2002 rm9, it was designed more for a solid bolt...the quick release lever seems to want to hit the swing arm, limiting the angle I can tighten it....it just doesnt feel solid like a 2 bolt
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    9 mm QR should be fine. Just rotate the lever around a bit so it doesn't hit the arm.
    A decent quality QR axle makes a difference, Shimano axles are the best I've used, Hope are the worst.