Help please - Advice on new steed.

Rasphelt
Rasphelt Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I am looking to get back into trail/DH (not huge gaps through) and have decided on a 29er to go with my Whyte 901 - I am looking at the following bikes:

YT Jeffsy CF Pro - Although out of stock in XL. Sigh. Should I wait?
Yeti 5.5c X01 Eagle - January/February for the 2017 model. Double sigh. Should I consider the 2016 model - whats the difference?
Santa Cruz Hightower - Available now I think?
Evil The Wreckoning - Available now. Any suggested build specs?

I know that these are different bikes in terms of cost, but these are the bikes that have captured my attention the most. Honestly I would have just bought the Jeffsy but as it's now not available any more (2016 ver) and the new model is largely an unknown quantity I am back to my first choice split - the Yeti or Evil. The SC was a last minute addition and I'm just not sure if this floats my boat as much as the others.

Let me be real here, I don't need a bike of this magnitude, but I want to buy the best bike I can afford so any and all recommendations are more than welcome!!

I am 188cm tall, and this is my first full susser.

Cheers guys
Ben

Comments

• The more I keep looking, the more I want to wait for the new Jeffsy.

I think in the interim I will either buy a YT Jeffsy or something second hand to get me going this side of Christmas. Something around 2k. Suggestions? 29er only though.

I also honestly think that buying the Yeti or Evil I would be too scared to really go for it.... and that's probably not the best idea, given that I want to push myself as hard as possible...

Again, please let me know what you guys think!! :)

Cheers
    Ben
  • Think I'm just going to buy a Jeffsy CF comp 1 new....

Any other considerations or thoughts on my thought process?! Is this a wise choice anyone?

Cheers
    Ben
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't bother with an Evil. They still haven't got over their old problems with weak frames.
    29ers are not good for downhill unless you like spending all your spare cash on replacement wheels.
  • So if I wanted a trail/DH do it all bike a 29er isn't the right way to go at all? That's a surprise given all I've read on the bikes above.

What do you suggest Rockmonkey? I am keen for suggestions! :)

Thanks for the Evil tip, I have decided against spending that much money anyway, I think I want something I'm not afraid of throwing into a corner or sending it where I can without worrying about breaking something expensive!

Cheers
    Ben
  • rockmonkeysc
    A couple friends have tried 29ers as enduro bikes and destroyed wheels.
    Something like a mid travel, slack 27.5" bike would be better. Something like a Transition Scout, Banshee Spitfire, Nukeproof Mega TR or Specialized Stumpjumper.
  • Thank mate, I will go and have a look at those! I have already looked at ike the stumpy and liked it... I wasn't sure if my usecase was right, but I will take your advice and check them out!

I love the idea of the faster 29er but I definitely want the right all round tool for the job and if that means I would be better suited at 27.5 and a raft of different bikes then so be it!

I really appreciate the help, cheers!
    Ben
  • rockmonkeysc
    The whole 29er is faster thing is just marketing BS. Some riders are quicker on 29ers, some are quicker on 27.5.
  • What do you think of the YT Capra?

Cheers
    BEn