Canyon Endurance Vs Ultimate (& Discs)?

WheelMeals
WheelMeals Posts: 86
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Logged too many sluggish miles on my heavy ol' Hybrid, meaning it's time to finally buy a road bike. Despite all the bad press on delivery I have my heart set on a Canyon. However from my time on the hybrid I enjoy the security of disc brakes, I know the Endurance is finally out with Discs. Any idea if the Ultimate will make it out with discs in 2017 or is that a far flung fantasy?

Also any user feedback from those who've ridden Ultimate Vs Endurance also (Endurance is more relaxed geometry and slightly heavier, anything else?). Canyon really should open a UK shop or let you try out bikes at their service centre imo.

Comments

• mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I personally don't think they will release a disc version of the Ultimate this season, but possibly for 2018.

I have ridden the Endurace for over 2 years and pleased with it. The only downpoints I would say were the wheelset.

What I did was search a few club members who were the same(ish) size as me and asked if I could try out their bikes. Im holding out for an Ultimate with discs should it occur as the Endurace discs start a little over £2k. So this will allow me to save a touch more money. Although some club members have pointed out that the Focus have a similar set up for a lot less money!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Cheers Mlgt. Good tip (not a club member, but have mate of mate who has one will have to tap them up for a test ride).

Yep, imagine the collapse of £ against Euro won't help with pricing of Canyon's also (was 1:1 at airport recently)

Will investigate the Focus also.
  • I was at the Cycle Show on Saturday and asked one of the staff on the stand when Canyon would be releasing a disc version of the Ultimate. His answer "the next few weeks".

I've just put a deposit down on a Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc but when he told me that, it put my bike buying head in a spin.

Nothing on Canyon's website to indicate anything though, but the bloke on the Canyon stand at the NEC seemed sure.
  • Ohh, the plot thickens...Thanks for sharing
  • I'm sure the release is imminent. Delivery however it likely to be next year I'd think
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • A lot of 2017 Ultimate SLX were uploaded on the Canyon website today though non were disk version.
  • If I was looking now and had the ££ I'd seriously consider the Endurace CF SLX; the ability to take wider tyres over the Ultimate would be one reason. And if there was an eTap version...
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Mechanism wrote:
    If I was looking now and had the ££ I'd seriously consider the Endurace CF SLX; the ability to take wider tyres over the Ultimate would be one reason. And if there was an eTap version...

Have only put a couple of hundred miles on mine but I can't see any downside to the Endurace if you want a disc braked Canyon. Geometry is only a little more relaxed and I can't imagine a disc braked Ultimate will be that much lighter - couple of hundred grams maybe? Biggest differences are probably in the wheelsets it will come with, Ksyriums on the current Ultimates versus the DT RR21s on the Endurace.

28mm tyers provide a huge leap in comfort. I'm sure the new Ultimate will be able to take them but doubt it could go wider
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    SuperSix Disc
  • mamil314 wrote:
    SuperSix Disc

Looks like the 2017 bikes are going thru axle and hydraulic dicsc so could be a good shout. What about tyre clearances?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Have to say I wasn't a fan of discs until I went to the cycle show but the Ultimate they had on the stand in Movistar colours with discs on looked incredible.

DDF241E4-5275-4018-B649-E4C71A85D516.jpg
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    mamil314 wrote:
    SuperSix Disc

Looks like the 2017 bikes are going thru axle and hydraulic dicsc so could be a good shout. What about tyre clearances?

Well 2016 hi-mod super six has clearance for 28mm so i d imagine it would be at least that
  • I’ve just spent a long weekend riding with my pal who came up from Sheffield. He brought his new toy – a 2017 Endurance CF SLX 9.0 in red. He’s also got last year’s Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 (with 303’s) a Scott Addict and a Kenisis Tripster ACR Ti with the latter built for touring and winter. He rates the new bike higher than all the others in terms of handling and ‘fun’ but he’s upgraded the wheels to 3T Discus C35 Teams because he didn’t rate the DT Swiss that came with it. I’m not a fan of the disc brakes on a road bike but I have to admit that the new Endurance is a very bonnie bike.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    It's Endurace, not Endurance.

(See also Aeroad, not Aeroroad)
  • MrB123 wrote:
    It's Endurace, not Endurance.

(See also Aeroad, not Aeroroad)

Number of f*cks given - 0
  • Fair play, I didn't clock it was Endu-race,

I bet their marketing folks were pretty pleased with themselves they came up with that nugget ; )