Clothing to sit on train post commute

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
I commute 12 miles on rural roads to a station (24 miles a day to get midweek miles in, currently 3 times a week). Last winter on the cold mornings I wore DHB wind slammer or Castelli Alpha with a DHB merino underneath, was soaking after the effort, anything from 39-45 mins ) i started to get a chill sitting on the train for the rest of my commute into London.
Anyone got advice or experience with lightweight clothing to change into. Anything to keep warm , to pack into a ruck sack 30ltr with other work clothes. I have to sit on the train for 40 mins then change to go another stop in London.

I can put cargo trousers over legs , I'm just struggling to think of what other clothing/layers are packable, light but warm enough to stop me getting that horrible, cold wet chill.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to prevent yourself sweating in the first place and then add layers as you cool (not straight away as you will still be hot when you stop and start to sweat up).

Anything over about +3-4C I'm in base layer T, baggy shorts and gloves (long fingers to about +8 then mitts), Although I'm not then getting on a train when I get to work I don't add any clothing until AFTER I start to cool down. If I'm hot when I get changed I have a splash over with cold water and towel off (small microfibre) which is effective at dropping temperature before putting on work clothes (no showers at work) so I don't start sweating straight away.

I'd try carrying a thin long sleeve top and then a windcheater (add in turn as you cool) and something like trackies which you can pull on without removing your shoes when wanted rather than when you are in a position to do a full change.

You may well find you're less sweaty by using a pannier rather than a rucksack to keep your back cool, made a big difference to me, it's detachable so I just lift it off the bike when I arrive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
  • Fenix wrote:

I'd be looking at something like that - synthetic insulation in case you're still damp (or it's raining) when you chuck it on, but should still compress down pretty well. There's a decent range of Primaloft fill jackets and smocks that will do the job depending on weight. My personal favourite emergency insulating layer for when going light and fast is a Montane Verso Fireball smock at 244g:

http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/Product ... oCZQrw_wcB

Wiggle have the jacket version - a touch heavier, but probably easier to get on and off.

Depending on how much space you've got, how much weight you're prepared to carry and how warm blooded you are there a range of other jackets in the same price bracket with more insulation. But all will stay warm when wet.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Thanks for the tips guys, I will look at the primaloft options and base layer. I also take on the back pack / sweat thing, but it is general sweat , not restricted to back. I seem to feel the cold but run hot, finding that perfect clothing combo is a still a quest.
    I think I will try try keeping hands feet and head v warm and see what upper body layering gives minimum sweat.

The montane fireball looks like a good it of kit, Tenohfive, do you know how they size up? I'm medium in wiggle stuff, 40 chest, '5'8 33/34 waist 12'10. Might be able to get one in the £70-£75 range, seems good price?
  • Definitely a reasonable price. Think I paid £90 for mine less than a year ago (although I needed it in a hurry.)

Sizing it's about what I would expect. Slightly snugger than other items but not enough to size up. I've not got any Wiggle layers as a comparison but am waiting on some turning up so when they do I'll PM you, but on the face of it I reckon you're looking at somewhere between an medium and large. If you've got a Go Outdoors nearby pop in and try on the Montane Prism - every GO in the land should have them in stock and it'll give you a reasonable frame of reference (the Fireball Verso is a touch snugger than the Prism.)

I do love mine. I bought it as a running/hiking/wild camping layer but find myself chucking it on whenever there's a bit of a nip to the air. It's not a full-on winter jacket (for that you want something in the region of 80gm PL fill or more) but for it's weight I don't think there's much else out there that can beat it unless you look at down - which is useless when wet.