Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB beginners

Noob advice on getting my old bike up and running

allezlesbleusallezlesbleus Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi there, I have an old 90s Specialized Rockhopper that i'd like to start using again. The problem I have is that the pedal on the right side was cross threaded and has stripped out the thread on the crank so I can't put a new pedal on. I need to get a new arm but I'm not sure what I need.

Would it be easier to just by a new chainset? It's a 9 speed Shimano deore xt (it says hollow tech on the crank arm too). I was looking at this, would this fit? Or can I just buy a new arm? which one?



  • onionmkonionmk Posts: 101
    Yes the deore crankset will work the current hollowtech bottom bracket. Individual crank arms are usually hard to source as they usually come as part of a crankset. Still might be worth a look on ebay or gumtree. Otherwise just replace the whole crankset. Just be sure to check if you have a double or triple crankset currently and buy one that matches.
  • FishFishFishFish Posts: 2,152
    .....and whilst you are at it remove all of the rings from the (new) crankset and fit an NW single ring up front and ditch the front mech. Superstar have some good offers and if you buy a bashguard to protect the ring then you can put the new ring in the middle and the guard where the big ring was.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

    jeez :roll:
Sign In or Register to comment.