Spoke protectors - are they really that necessary ?

BD1993
BD1993 Posts: 38
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Recently purchased the new Whyte 901 and noticed it came with a spoke protector. I'd quite like to remove it as I feel it doesn't look that good on my bike. Would removing it be a silly idea? How likely is it going to be needed?

Thought people?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aka a rookie ring.

Can't see they do any harm, but real gnarly mountain bikers have to remove them, along with any reflectors.

It's only needed if your mech wants to fight with the wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It can be an issue in very muddy conditions collecting mud between it and the back of the cassette, otherwise its just a security blanket and a properly setup mech shouldn't need you to use one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    As above, if the bike is set up correctly, it's a completely pointless piece of plastic, new bikes just tend to come with them because the people building them often don't know what limit screws are or how to set them correctly. First thing I do with a new bike is remove it (though some customers get weirdly attached to them and actually complain if you leave it off after a service...)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5