Question about child seats and alternatives

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
Hello all, it's been a while since I last posted but I hope that the hivemind might be able to help solve a problem for me.

The birth of my daughter last summer was complicated and she suffered a serious brain injury. Her progress since birth has been nothing short of miraculous but, nonetheless, she has been left with some physical and mental difficulties and delayed development. Despite being over a year old, she is unable to sit up unaided and she has a little less head control than would normally be expected at her age and size. I would like to be able to take her to nursery in the morning on the bike but, looking around at rear child seats, it seems that they are designed for children with better strength and control. What I need, or would like to find, is a seat that will be safe for her, by offering more support. I have been unable to find anything suitable. Unfortunately, limited space means that a trailer may not be a realistic solution. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks
V

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    vermin wrote:
    Hello all, it's been a while since I last posted but I hope that the hivemind might be able to help solve a problem for me.

The birth of my daughter last summer was complicated and she suffered a serious brain injury. Her progress since birth has been nothing short of miraculous but, nonetheless, she has been left with some physical and mental difficulties and delayed development. Despite being over a year old, she is unable to sit up unaided and she has a little less head control than would normally be expected at her age and size. I would like to be able to take her to nursery in the morning on the bike but, looking around at rear child seats, it seems that they are designed for children with better strength and control. What I need, or would like to find, is a seat that will be safe for her, by offering more support. I have been unable to find anything suitable. Unfortunately, limited space means that a trailer may not be a realistic solution. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks
    V

Glad to hear your daughter is coming on so well. Our little-un has taught us how much they can overcome. I haven't seen anything suitable but some seats can be reclined quite a bit which might provide a solution in concert with some sort of inflatable neck support.

Have you checked if there are any trailers that break down for easy storage / hanging etc?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Halfords Trail a Buggy collapses right down. Wheels come off the whole thing collapses down to the height of our more than 20cm.

Also the hamax rear carrier that has the big red dial can be dialled right back to recline the little Un. I was also thinking that you could cut some foam and lie it on to give the head a bit more support?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    We have a Hamax Siesta that reclines back. However perhaps a newer model with a higher back from Hamax. Also look at their accessories such as inflatable padding and neck roll. The latter attaches to the straps and is a very good head support. We got it for a recent tour with an offer child in the seat. It worked well being supportive, soft fabric that's nice to touch and didn't seem to bother him when he was awake (all the time worst luck).

If you consider their poncho too. It works pretty good but is designed to fit the full potential age range of the seat. This means the hood is huge and floppy. No stiffened in the hood so it flops over his face. It'll need modifying with stick on Velcro patches to allow us to pin it back in the right place to fit properly.

The tilting higher back, hamax seats with the neck roll might possibly work for you. Add in th he luxury inflatable padding and she'll possibly feel like a princess in her cycle throne. Comes in different designs IIRC to suit your daughter's design tastes. Kids like things more if they've made the choice I reckon, mine does at least.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I've got one of the old copilot limo seats. That reclines backwards nicely, helping to limit the head lolling forward. You may still want some additional padding though for the side to side movements, but the back is very high and I doubt your daughter's head will reach the top of it. Nowadays, Blackburn sell them, but they are rack mounted, as opposed to seat tube mounted like the Hamax. It also has a bar across which is quite nice for a child to hold on to.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Thanks all. She is already enjoying her new Hamax Siesta.
  • Glad to hear she likes it, and good luck to you all.