Focus Cayo vs. Cannondale Caad8 vs. Scott S20...?

ozantabas
ozantabas Posts: 15
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello guys!
I'm considering getting a new road bike and I've been searching for it for 2 months. I've read a lot of writings, watched a lot of review videos and visited a lot of local bike shops. :D Here are the some options that I listed.
1-Focus Cayo Al. 105 http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/ ... l-105.html
2- Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra http://www.cannondale.com/Great%20Brita ... 1d179ab9a8
3-Scott Speedster 20 105 http://www.pedalscyclecentre.co.uk/m1b0 ... er-20-2016
4-Focus Cayo CF. 105 http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/ ... iagra.html
There are still some questions in my mind. First of all on the Scott's offical website, It says the bike weighs 9.1 kilograms but when we measured it at the local bike shop the number was 9.7 kg! :roll: Also the cannondale and scott weigh 8-5-8.9 kg and the difference between these bikes are huge, I think.
Focus is German-Made and my bike dealer told me that they were made in Germany. That's one of the points that makes me like Focus. Focus Cayo Al. got a low-rate on the bike radar's test and that makes me worried. What's your ideas? Also Focus CF (black-blue) looks very spectacular but I have no idea about Carbon bikes and there's a big price difference between Focus cayo Al. and Focus Cayo CF
Price a big problem in my country (Turkey). Bikes are very expensive so I'm looking for a bike that can survive years and years. If there is any other option in this segment you can advice me. :idea: :idea:
Have a nice day! :D:D:D

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Bike weights on manufacturers websites are always stated without pedals which may be the cause of the weight discrepancy. Sometimes however they are just plain wrong.
    Focus bike are assembled/designed in Germany but definitely not made in Germany. The carbon Cayo is probably the best frameset you have mentioned, if this is reasonably priced and fits ok its probably the best bike on offer out of the 4.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I wouldn't get too distracted by the weights as many quoted weights can be misleading and the comparisons therefore don't stack up (some quotes are for a 56, others a 54, some with pedals and cages, others without, etc.). A big chunk of the weight will be on the stock wheels/tyres, often weighing in north of 2.8K and these are usually the first thing most people change to bring a benefit of anything up to a kilo.

Also, don't get too distracted by bike reviews in mags. They can be very useful when they outline things like the geo (say, pointing out the large headtube) but a lot of a reviews are still very subjective and come out with the usual guff like "the bike springs forward with each pedal stroke and climbs effortlessly".

Think about the geo you want and like (like a high front end or longer wheelbase, etc.) and then pick a bike that meets that in the right size and one that looks great. Don't try and turn the purchase into a "once in a lifetime" choice, just the right bike for now and then get out and ride/enjoy the bloody thing :-)
  • ozantabas
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I wouldn't get too distracted by the weights as many quoted weights can be misleading and the comparisons therefore don't stack up (some quotes are for a 56, others a 54, some with pedals and cages, others without, etc.). A big chunk of the weight will be on the stock wheels/tyres, often weighing in north of 2.8K and these are usually the first thing most people change to bring a benefit of anything up to a kilo.

Also, don't get too distracted by bike reviews in mags. They can be very useful when they outline things like the geo (say, pointing out the large headtube) but a lot of a reviews are still very subjective and come out with the usual guff like "the bike springs forward with each pedal stroke and climbs effortlessly".

Think about the geo you want and like (like a high front end or longer wheelbase, etc.) and then pick a bike that meets that in the right size and one that looks great. Don't try and turn the purchase into a "once in a lifetime" choice, just the right bike for now and then get out and ride/enjoy the bloody thing :-)
    Thank you so much for your answer. So which bike would you buy if you were in my shoes? :)
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    -Focus Cayo CF. 105
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    -Focus Cayo CF. 105

...which comes with a semi-compact chainset (52/36 & 11/28). A 52/11 would get very little use for most normal cyclists (certainly those who live in a flat area) whereas bigger riders who live in a hilly area will be straight back on the forum saying "I need something lower than a 36/28". Changing gear combos is possible but this does show that one needs to look at the whole deal and factor in intended usage, as well as any appetite for changing the spec after purchase.

Let's face it, none of the bikes are bad so a lot will come down to ensuring that geo is roughly right, the sizing is spot on and that the bike looks great (which is purely subjective and the main factor in bike purchases!).
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,511
    CAAD8 can be had for a smidge over £800 with 11 speed 105 - superb group set on a great frame.
  • REDUTOPIA
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    -Focus Cayo CF. 105

...which comes with a semi-compact chainset (52/36 & 11/28). A 52/11 would get very little use for most normal cyclists (certainly those who live in a flat area) whereas bigger riders who live in a hilly area will be straight back on the forum saying "I need something lower than a 36/28". Changing gear combos is possible but this does show that one needs to look at the whole deal and factor in intended usage, as well as any appetite for changing the spec after purchase.

Let's face it, none of the bikes are bad so a lot will come down to ensuring that geo is roughly right, the sizing is spot on and that the bike looks great (which is purely subjective and the main factor in bike purchases!).
    It is possible to change the cassette in a second time according to the needs.
  • ozantabas
    Sorry. I mistyped a thing. Focus Cayo CF. comes with Tiagra, not 105.
    Also here is the picture that shows the bikes I want together: http://i.hizliresim.com/AJgGmX.png
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    -Focus Cayo CF. 105

I don't half get fed up of hearing this "you won't need a 52-11" nonsense. I've got a winter bike with 50-12 at the top and my Summer bike has 52-11. Every time I go back to my winter bike I find myself spinning out on 50-12. It doesnt have to be a major descent, maybe just a decent stretch at minus 3-4% but I definitely appreciate the extra top end of my Summer bike. Oh and I'm no Chris Froome either, just your average joe cyclist.
  • REDUTOPIA
    the gears can always be changed later based on the needs! try to not go off topic!

In my opinion the best frame is in Cayo CF which is a carbon frame that It allows you to do upgrades on this.
  • ozantabas
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    the gears can always be changed later based on the needs! try to not go off topic!

In my opinion the best frame is in Cayo CF which is a carbon frame that It allows you to do upgrades on this.
    Thank you for your advice. What about Al. Frames? I have 3 options: Focus Cayo Al., Can''dale CAAD 8 and Scott S20. I need to sell my old bike to get some credit to afford Cayo CF
  • REDUTOPIA
    ozantabas wrote:
    REDUTOPIA wrote:

Thank you for your advice. What about Al. Frames? I have 3 options: Focus Cayo Al., Can''dale CAAD 8 and Scott S20. I need to sell my old bike to get some credit to afford Cayo CF

in my opinion, a carbon frame is a great point of start. On this you will can upgrade because it is worth it. On others should you leave them as they are.