Clothing & Accessories - Help a beginner spend!

jlammy
jlammy Posts: 43
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
So with the bike choice chosen at a Giant store yesterday (Defy 1 Disc), I now need to buy all of the clothing and accessories I need. With several online stores having discounts for the bank holiday (CRC, Tredz etc.), it seems wise to buy things ASAP!

I'll need everything a beginner needs:

- Bib Shorts
- Base Layers
- Jerseys
- Helmet
- Shoes
- Cleats
- Lights
- Replacement Tubes
- Pump
- And anything else: Can't really think of what else I'll need

I've got a budget of around £300-400 for everything. Although I don't have to spend all if I really don't need to! But help me spend. :D

Main purpose is to cycle to work, but would also use it on weekends in the summer, and maybe try a few bike events: London to Southend etc.

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Track pump.

You won't need a base layer until next winter.

If you want to be able to walk in your cycling shoes, or at least not look like an arthritic penguin attempting to, SPD pedals and shoes.

Small saddle bag to put your bits and bobs in, unless you want to look really pro by stuffing it into jersey pockets.

Multitool. Chain splitter and spare pins, and/or quicklink. Puncture repair kit.

Mudguards, maybe.

For jerseys and shorts, DHB from Wiggle is excellent value for money.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I can vouch for the DHB clothing, top class quality
    I would also look for a waterproof top as well
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    I disagree that you wont need a baselayer, its not always red hot especially if your commuting to work early. Get a short sleeved baselayer and some arm warmers then you can whip them off its warm. A lightweight waterproof or Gilet to keep you warm if its cold or raining. Track mits keeps the jands comfy
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Arm warmers and leg ( and ideally knee) warmers will help you to get out when it's cooler, and a rain jacket. Again, I'd agree that Decathlon are great quality and value for things like this.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    I disagree that you wont need a baselayer, its not always red hot especially if your commuting to work early.
    Fair point. Early and late it can be chilly almost any time of year.
    Get a short sleeved baselayer and some arm warmers then you can whip them off its warm.
    You can't whip a base layer off without taking the jersey off first! And for commuting at either end of the day, the temperature isn't going to change much, so if it's cold enough for arm warmers, are you really going to be taking them off? For a 6 hour ride when its freezing at the start and boiling a few hours later, fair enough, but seems unlikely on a commute to me.

My options are:

Warm: jersey
    Not quite so warm: long sleeved jersey
    Cool: thick long sleeved jersey
    Cold: softshell jacket, bib tights
    Fawking freezing: baselayer under softshell, bib tights.

When I said no baselayer till next winter, I was thinking of my last resort baselayer.

Thing is, there are so many options, it's pointless going out and buying the whole lot at once.

I'd be inclined to get a short sleeved and a thickish long sleeved jersey initially and fill in gaps as needed.

Oh, and IMO a bright flashing front light is more useful than a rear one during daylight hours. When I got one, the incidence of cars coming out of side roads at me decreased dramatically.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • jlammy
    Thanks for this everyone. I knew I missed some essential items! I also need a lock or two!

I'll definitely be buying some essentials first for this summer and then add as I go along. It's getting exhausting when choosing what to buy and trying to stay within budget!
  • jlammy
    oxoman wrote:
    Jlammy not sure what kind of facilities you have at work to lock bike up, make sure you have decent locks preferably Gold rated doesn't make them unbreakable but slows theirs down a bit. If you can leave lock at work to save carrying it backwards and forwards.

I'm lucky enough to work in a fairly big company/office which has a whole basement just for cyclists (racks, lockers, drying rooms, showers etc.) - but yes, this is an excellent idea! Definitely will consider leaving the lock at work. :D
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    I disagree that you wont need a baselayer, its not always red hot especially if your commuting to work early.
    Get a short sleeved baselayer and some arm warmers then you can whip them off its warm.
    You can't whip a base layer off without taking the jersey off first!

True. I was referring to the arm warmers :D

As for the base layer I wear one in most weathers unless it is absolutely roasting, in races the extra layer protects from road rash in a crash so it is unlikely to have the need to take it off
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    You can't whip a base layer off without taking the jersey off first!

True. I was referring to the arm warmers :D

As for the base layer I wear one in most weathers unless it is absolutely roasting, in races the extra layer protects from road rash in a crash so it is unlikely to have the need to take it off

Bib shorts + no base layer = nipple chafing.....some might like that, not my bag :)
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    JLammy wrote:
    I've got a budget of around £300-400 for everything. Although I don't have to spend all if I really don't need to! But help me spend. :D

Main purpose is to cycle to work, but would also use it on weekends in the summer, and maybe try a few bike events: London to Southend etc.

Don't go mad on gear straight away, if you stick with it cycling may change your body shape/weight dramatically.
    Get some quality stuff now in the sales if you can and over this winter get some top end stuff in the clearance sales.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Good thing about arm/leg warmers is that you can wear them on the way in when' it's chilly and then shove them in your pocket for the ride home. Saves lugging both short and long sleeve tops/bottoms around.