GPS Mapping

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited May 2016 in Routes
Hi, a quick question, sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I ride with a Garmin Edge 800, the main reason I bought this is that I thought I could map rides and follow the instructions on screen for both MTB and road riding. The road is fine, I can download MTB routes and follow them but I'm struggling to find any websites of mapping software that will allow me to map out a ride online then send it as a GPX file, all of the usual suspects (map my ride, garmin etc) must use the same mapping engine, they don't have bridleways etc on there. I can't find an OS equivalent. Any help appreciated?
Tom

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I found the app "GPS Hiker" on iOS and it's great. You can download gpx files, track your own routes, upload them, and A LOT of other features. The GUI isn't that great because its an app made by one guy
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You need the OS map SD card then you can use ridewithgps/Memorymap etc etc.
    Without the mapping card it will just show basic toad mapping etc.
  • loukest
    loukest Posts: 89
    I think I have the maps on the unit itself, i.e. it shows bridleways on the map, it's the planning of the routes online I can't find a resource for. I'll try the one suggested above, thanks for that.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I find the mapping on viewranger works well. Look for my.viewranger.com, you'll need to register but you can then create routes using a variety of free maps and you can download them as gpx files. You could also use google maps and save the kml then convert it to gpx on gpsies.com if you wanted.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    BikeHike.co.uk does for me.

The on screen OS maps are shit. OSM far better, and free.
  • Antdawe
    Antdawe Posts: 8
    Google maps have most of the trails near me. All off road and bridle ways etc.

Put that into gps visualiser to create a gpx file.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776