Bib Short Recommendations

2»

Comments

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Just ordered the Sportful and DHB ASV bib shorts from Wiggle, so fingers crossed they do the job - if they are both nice I may keep both and use the DHB for daily commutes, keeping what should be the comfier Sportfuls for the weekend long miles - we'll see how they perform first before making any decisions!
    Still tempted by the Chapeau! Paves, but may wait until they have their next sale.

I have a niggling thing in the back of my head to try the Assos T.cento S7, especially to see how the "pouch" area works - always wondered why more companies don't design a bit more space around there! They are just too expensive though....if I'm still not happy with the 2 I've ordered perhaps I might return and order a pair to see what the fuss is about.

Ill post any thoughts on the DHB / Sportful once I've tried them.

Thanks for all the responses so far! :)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,472
    Assos s7, any of the models. The cheapest are about £100
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Just ordered the Sportful and DHB ASV bib shorts from Wiggle, so fingers crossed they do the job - if they are both nice I may keep both and use the DHB for daily commutes, keeping what should be the comfier Sportfuls for the weekend long miles - we'll see how they perform first before making any decisions!
    Still tempted by the Chapeau! Paves, but may wait until they have their next sale.

I have a niggling thing in the back of my head to try the Assos T.cento S7, especially to see how the "pouch" area works - always wondered why more companies don't design a bit more space around there! They are just too expensive though....if I'm still not happy with the 2 I've ordered perhaps I might return and order a pair to see what the fuss is about.

Ill post any thoughts on the DHB / Sportful once I've tried them.

Thanks for all the responses so far! :)

Of all my expensive bib shorts and bib longs I go for Pactimo and DHB all the time.

I know you won't rest till you buy one of those Assos or Rapha and then you will be saying to yourself what all the fuss is about.

Even if they are better but they are not 3 or 4 times better. But if you have the money then go own a pair each so you won't be thinking about it all the time.

Actually personally I think there is something not quite right about the sizing with Rapha bibs if I recall. I always buy their top of the range and I got their Sky pro bib short. I had to return and get an exchange because the leg was so ridiculously large that it was completely out of proportion. I took pictures to show them as well when tried on. They did give me another pair that was fixed.

Sometimes we thinks that higher price means better but not always the case.

Assos attention to detail is in my opinion much higher than Rapha but their customer service is no where near the customer service for Rapha. One of the reasons I buy their stuff is life time warranty and they actually do honor it and I am quite happy with a lot of their things because it looks much better on you than other clothing. I think they are the most fashionable cycle clothing out there.

All the bibs or clothing have their merits and it is up to you what you like.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I received the Lusso Pro Peleton today. £95 on Lusso's site. £95. I mean, that's up against the big boys.

And there's an issue. And that is how they look on Lusso's site. The picture does no justice to them. Pics soon, along with a review, but the first thing that struck me is that a lot of it is dimpled, or, as POC would claim, aero. The rest is striped, for want of a better term, quite venty. Pad seems excellent and they are super comfy. Not tried on the bike yet but I expect great things.

So the one problem I have at the moment, a nice one, is I'll be telling Lusso to make more of these on their site.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I prefer riding in my older Assos shorts as, on S7, I find the detached pad starts to actually float around after first 70km or so making it uncomfortable. They seem to be better made than Rapha, but some models would just not work for some people. The shorts do look good on you, but some of their other kit.. like those ridiculously named jackets of utterly atrocious design
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    mamil314 wrote:
    I prefer riding in my older Assos shorts as, on S7, I find the detached pad starts to actually float around after first 70km or so making it uncomfortable. They seem to be better made than Rapha, but some models would just not work for some people. The shorts do look good on you, but some of their other kit.. like those ridiculously named jackets of utterly atrocious design

Though, I do remember walking into work once and the two ladies in my department thought that the arm design of the Bonka, from a motorists perspective, was just the sort of thing that would get you seen.

I have a huge admiration for it. Though a lot of other kit does do 99% as much for 50% of the price. I'm glad that it exists though, If I did ever come across the Red one in Cento XL at a good price, I might just have to do it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I've been using DHB shorts for over 10 years and Shutt VR shorts for a couple of years and I'm thinking of trying some of these Santini Edge from Prendas with the NAT 2 pad http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html which get good reviews. If you don't mind Giant branding you can get some Etxeondo with the Urraki pad for about £55 which are a good buy.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    ovi wrote:
    I've been using DHB shorts for over 10 years and Shutt VR shorts for a couple of years and I'm thinking of trying some of these Santini Edge from Prendas with the NAT 2 pad http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html which get good reviews. If you don't mind Giant branding you can get some Etxeondo with the Urraki pad for about £55 which are a good buy.

The Santini Edge are my current "best" pair but they do have a design flaw which let's them down a bit, namely the very high front which makes toilet stops impossible without removing jersey to lower the bib straps.

I'm wondering about trying the Santini Mago next which have the same NAT pad but appear from the pictures at least to have a lower front.

The Edge are nice and long in the leg (I'm 6'4" and skinny) so just hoping the Mago are the same, otherwise I'll be getting another pair of Edge despite the Simon Cowell style front.
  • ovi
    MrB123 wrote:
    ovi wrote:

The Santini Edge are my current "best" pair but they do have a design flaw which let's them down a bit, namely the very high front which makes toilet stops impossible without removing jersey to lower the bib straps.

I'm wondering about trying the Santini Mago next which have the same NAT pad but appear from the pictures at least to have a lower front.

The Edge are nice and long in the leg (I'm 6'4" and skinny) so just hoping the Mago are the same, otherwise I'll be getting another pair of Edge despite the Simon Cowell style front.

I'm also 6'4" about 90kg average build and what size did you get?
  • mrb123
    ovi wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    ovi wrote:

I'm also 6'4" about 90kg average build and what size did you get?

I'm 77kg. Got large. They're plenty long enough in the leg and bib straps. Not sure if you'd need to go up a size, you might find the large a bit snug.

If you're buying from Prendas, your best bet is to drop them a line with your vital statistics as they're really good with sizing enquiries.
  • ovi
    Thanks MrB
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Never got on with the NAT pad on my Santini shorts. Assume it's one for people who don't like a thick chamois
  • mrb123
    Alex222 wrote:
    Never got on with the NAT pad on my Santini shorts. Assume it's one for people who don't like a thick chamois

Each to their own. For me it's top drawer. I wouldn't describe it as thin. What it is most of all dense in the key areas, unlike some other shorts I have that are just thick, spongy foam all the way across.
  • Milton81
    Milton81 Posts: 26
    I have two pairs of La Passione bibshorts, and find them very comfy:

http://www.lapassione.cc/collections/me ... bib-shorts

The €95 work out at around £75, so not that expensive when compared to Rapha Classics, or even the new Core Rapha shorts (which are supposed to have a really good pad at £100)

I'm thinking of going back to La Passione for some thermal bibs, given this cold weather doesn't seem to want to shift!

Own and used both, you are comparing Chalk and Cheese! No doubt Rapha is expansive (too expansive) but you get what you pay for! A hyundai can be a good car, have bmw seats in it, but will never be a BMW.
  • Milton81
    Milton81 Posts: 26
    MrB123 wrote:
    Alex222 wrote:

Each to their own. For me it's top drawer. I wouldn't describe it as thin. What it is most of all dense in the key areas, unlike some other shorts I have that are just thick, spongy foam all the way across.

Santini makes some good pads. Lot of Pros ride santini shorts, can't be that bad after all. The Nat should have gel inserts in it, but it's not all gel, it's hardly noticeable, feels like foam.