Bib Short Recommendations

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I'm racking up a lot more miles these days and have entered the 175km route of the Giro Gran Fondo next month, so want to invest in a really good pair of bib shorts that will hopefully prevent any uncomfortableness.

Im currently using a pair of Etxeondo Bikos, and although they have been very good for the past few months, on longer rides I'm now finding myself squirming in the seat and moving around after 50-60 minutes - its not terrible, but enough to be annoying.

I was thinking about the Chapeau! Pave bib shorts with the green pad, as they seem to be designed for endurance riding.
If anyone has any experience with these, or anything else I should be looking at, just let me know.

Comments

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I have a lot of bib shorts.

My favourite is DHB professional, Pactimo, and Rapha and I recommend all three. Value for money DHB is great. However, when Pactimo has sale on then it is even better value for money.
  • bsharp77
    hsiaolc wrote:

My favourite is DHB professional, Pactimo, and Rapha and I recommend all three. Value for money DHB is great. However, when Pactimo has sale on then it is even better value for money.

Thanks for the suggestions hsiaolc - I've used DHB before and they aren't bad - its just I want to go for the best I can this time around. Was thinking of Rapha, but read a few reviews that said they weren't worth the money.

The other ones I was thinking of are the Assos T.cento S7 as they are apparently made for endurance, so should be very comfortable indeed, although they are very expensive, so they really would need to live up to the price tag.

If anyone has tried any of the above i'd love to hear what you think of them.
  • hsiaolc
    bsharp77 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions hsiaolc - I've used DHB before and they aren't bad - its just I want to go for the best I can this time around. Was thinking of Rapha, but read a few reviews that said they weren't worth the money.

The other ones I was thinking of are the Assos T.cento S7 as they are apparently made for endurance, so should be very comfortable indeed, although they are very expensive, so they really would need to live up to the price tag.

If anyone has tried any of the above i'd love to hear what you think of them.

I have a few Assos bib shorts. The are great but for padding I prefer the Cytec Endurance padding used by the three I've named earlier.

Yes I don't believe Rapha short is worth that price (not even close) Pactimo has more tech in theirs than Rapha especially Pactimo's summit range.

I never liked DHB till their recent professional range.

I however, find that its like a saddle it fit well on one but might not be for another.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Morning all,

I'm racking up a lot more miles these days and have entered the 175km route of the Giro Gran Fondo next month, so want to invest in a really good pair of bib shorts that will hopefully prevent any uncomfortableness.

Im currently using a pair of Etxeondo Bikos, and although they have been very good for the past few months, on longer rides I'm now finding myself squirming in the seat and moving around after 50-60 minutes - its not terrible, but enough to be annoying.

I was thinking about the Chapeau! Pave bib shorts with the green pad, as they seem to be designed for endurance riding.
    If anyone has any experience with these, or anything else I should be looking at, just let me know.

If you like Etxeondo already, why not stick with them and try the Attaque or the Orhi?

Attaque is super comfy but gets wet and holds it in a little. Friends swear by the Orhi as its closest to the ones the team use, I always keep an eye out for these in the sales.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    DHB ASV are superb. I have last year's model and they really are a quality product.

£57 with platinum discount I think. I wasn't overly keen on the Assos s7, but it's a very personal decision to b3 honest.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    hsiaolc wrote:

Big fan of Pactimo too, although always picked up bibs on sale. I got a friend in Germany to recently order a pair for me as they had a big discount on via their German site.
    They've only just released their latest version of the top end shorts though so I think the best deal you will get for a while is 20% off for signing up the mailing list.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    edited April 2016
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Yes I don't believe Rapha short is worth that price (not even close) Pactimo has more tech in theirs than Rapha especially Pactimo's summit range.

You're on crack!

Pactimo - Average US company that buy off the shelf fabric.

Rapha - Large company that spends a fortune on R&D, gets their fabric custom made including pads (one of the few companies that can afford to get bespoke pads made due to volume of sales) and tests in real world top end racing, using one of the world's biggest cycling teams.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    Double post.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Rapha classic bibs are the comfiest pair of shorts I've had. What you get in the price is if you crash they offer free repairs and also with the classics if you don't like them after 30 days you can return them not questions asked.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    If I lost my assos equipe s7's I'd buy another pair right away. They are expensive, but the pad is really good and the 'kuku penthouse' or whatever weird name they give it is worth the price alone. I don't understand why other shorts manufacturers don't implement something similar. It's so much more comfortable not having to jam your junk to the side.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Morning all,

My mate has the Pave, which he raves about. I have the Club ones, review in the link. They are very good but for a really long one abroad I would be looking at the Pave. Don't forget, for all the references to other manufacturers offering free repairs etc, that Chapeau do that to. Well, they don't actually, the replace the damaged item for free.

At the end of the day as good as all the shorts mentioned are what fits each of us and suits each of us is a personal thing.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Its interesting - a year or two ago we would never have got this far in the thread without loads of people shouting Castelli Free Aero, but the others have caught up or overtaken them and in my opinion they have gone backwards with the latest redesign. The Progetto pad is still the best to my mind but the material is less stretchy and the legs less comfortable and I dont like the new grippers. I went and stocked up on the old model before they all sold out!

If I were buying now, I would look seriously at what DHB have to offer and at the Etxeondos (I have the Dicolors which are not as nice as my free aeros but pretty damn good and the Orhi is supposed to be even better). I tried to like the Rapha shorts a couple of years ago but couldnt get a comfortable fit out of them.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I switch between Exteondo Dicolor and Bioracer Stratos (Stolen Goat Ibex) for longer rides. I find the bioracer have the edge for really long distances despite having a thinner and less substantial chamois. Great fabric, too.
  • bendertherobot
    apreading wrote:
    Its interesting - a year or two ago we would never have got this far in the thread without loads of people shouting Castelli Free Aero, but the others have caught up or overtaken them and in my opinion they have gone backwards with the latest redesign. The Progetto pad is still the best to my mind but the material is less stretchy and the legs less comfortable and I dont like the new grippers. I went and stocked up on the old model before they all sold out!

If I were buying now, I would look seriously at what DHB have to offer and at the Etxeondos (I have the Dicolors which are not as nice as my free aeros but pretty damn good and the Orhi is supposed to be even better). I tried to like the Rapha shorts a couple of years ago but couldnt get a comfortable fit out of them.

Yeah, I like everything about the Rapha's save for how they fitted me. Class shorts. But for the moment I keep plugging away with my Assos Mille. The Chapeau are great for the slower ride (but will do the fast one), the DHB are just really good at everything.

I have some Parentini ones on the way which should be good as I already have their race version (team kit) and they are exceptional. But I can't do a proper review on them till I get the "production" version. But the pad in the team kit is superb (and isn't even the top level one).

Few others worth a look, La Passione, Isadore and the new Irish chaps, Taidais. http://www.tadaias.cc/
  • bsharp77
    Thanks everyone for the input so far.

The shortlist is down to:

DHB ASV
    Chapeau Pave
    Assos T.cento_s7

As a few have mentioned, I guess fit will be a very personal thing, and I don't think ill go far wrong with any of the above to be honest from a quality point of view.

The fact that I could buy both the DHB and Chapeau's for less than the Assos certainly is a factor - as good as Assos may be, I can't see them being twice as good as the other contenders.

Ill do a lot more research into these 3 this evening, thanks to all for the input, any other comments to thoughts always appreciated.
  • bendertherobot
    Buy them all and try them on. Get the dhb and assos from Wiggle, use paypal, pay in 14 days. Get the Chapeau from them, use their 90 day return policy (and free returns).

Now, of course, testing them all on the bike is the only real answer and you can't really do that, but at least you can try them all on for feel.
  • bendertherobot
    (10% code on Chapeau for first orders as well, sign up to the mailing list). Takes the Chapeau down to £108?
  • bsharp77
    Buy them all and try them on. Get the dhb and assos from Wiggle, use paypal, pay in 14 days. Get the Chapeau from them, use their 90 day return policy (and free returns).

Now, of course, testing them all on the bike is the only real answer and you can't really do that, but at least you can try them all on for feel.

Thanks Bender - helpful as always! :D
    Yes, I think ill order from Wiggle and Chapeau - I've also now added another pair to the list which look like real contenders:

Sportful Super Total Comfort Bib Shorts

Great reviews on wiggle and if they are as good at making shorts as they are at making the amazing fiandre jackets which I have 2 of, then id be very happy!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Actually, I had forgotten about them - I have a pair but not worn them much. The Sportful shorts are almost as good as the old Free Aeros.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    apreading wrote:

Yeah, I like everything about the Rapha's save for how they fitted me. Class shorts. But for the moment I keep plugging away with my Assos Mille. The Chapeau are great for the slower ride (but will do the fast one), the DHB are just really good at everything.

I have some Parentini ones on the way which should be good as I already have their race version (team kit) and they are exceptional. But I can't do a proper review on them till I get the "production" version. But the pad in the team kit is superb (and isn't even the top level one).

Few others worth a look, La Passione, Isadore and the new Irish chaps, Taidais. http://www.tadaias.cc/

Have you got any views on the Pactimo shorts Bender?
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    hsiaolc wrote:

You're on crack!

Rapha - Large company that spends a fortune on R&D

really? Do they? Have you seen their P&L?
    Or are you just quoting what they say to the world?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • bendertherobot
    MrB123 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Have you got any views on the Pactimo shorts Bender?

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of them till today. But I had a look and everything looked as you'd expect. I may tap them up and see.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have two pairs of La Passione bibshorts, and find them very comfy:

http://www.lapassione.cc/collections/me ... bib-shorts

The €95 work out at around £75, so not that expensive when compared to Rapha Classics, or even the new Core Rapha shorts (which are supposed to have a really good pad at £100)

I'm thinking of going back to La Passione for some thermal bibs, given this cold weather doesn't seem to want to shift!
  • bendertherobot
    I have some Lusso Peleton coming now as well. In 3 weeks I might even have a bibshort showdown!
  • alex222
    I have some Lusso peloton coming now as well. In 3 weeks I might even have a bibshort showdown!
    Winner takes all
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc wrote:

You're on crack!

Rapha - Large company that spends a fortune on R&D, gets their fabric custom made including pads (one of the few companies that can afford to get bespoke pads made due to volume of sales) and tests in real world top end racing, using one of the world's biggest cycling teams.

Actually you are on crack.

I have tons of rapha stuff and now I hardly wear them.

The bib I have plenty but it is not miles better than DHB professional and definitely on par with Pactimo.

Their waterproof clothing I've asked them plenty of time to give me the stats for it and they never did no matter how many times I've tried because they know their waterproof clothing not as technical based on Goretex or Event.

I have lots of their jersey but now most of them are gathering dust after I've discovered Gabbas.

Their road shoe is the most uncomfortable piece of crap that I regret of buying and now it is collecting dust. Shimano r321 are just way superior.

For summer jersey again their items are not anything spectacular with wicking.

Should I keep going?

I do love their customer service and on some items I like purely for the name and fashion. Their new pro range is good but again anything water proof they won't give you the stats.

They keep claiming about R&D but I doubt that very much. They buy also fabrics from outsourced and they claim from Japan.

Their Jeans are not anything to admire about. Neither it is waterproof or that hard wearing as compared to some that use sholer or like vulpine that actually produce water proof trousers and shorts.

King with invisible cloth. Now I see better but maybe you are just some fanboy.

I have lots of their things but I know what I have and from real life experience.

Oh you wear size 40 shoes? I have a pair of rapha to sell if you want.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Another Pactimo fan here, and not on crack.

I have tried quite a few brands, not Assos or Rapha yet but my top 3 in reverse order so far are Castelli Free Aero, Exteondo Orhi but by far my favourite and "go to" pair are the Pactimo Summit. I was gutted I missed out on their recent sale, want some more. :(
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    handful wrote:

I have tried quite a few brands, not Assos or Rapha yet but my top 3 in reverse order so far are Castelli Free Aero, Exteondo Orhi but by far my favourite and "go to" pair are the Pactimo Summit. I was gutted I missed out on their recent sale, want some more. :(

One thing that slightly puts me off the Pactimo stuff is the feeling that they're a bit "Planet X" in terms of their pricing strategy. There seems to be a 20% discount as standard and tales of 30%, 40% and even 50% discounts codes seem to abound on the web, plus the outlet stuff is heavily discounted.
  • Recently bought, and immediately returned after just the one ride....the new Rapha Core bibs! Fit lovely, looks..fabulous...quality, questionable...they almost wore through on the pad/bum area and right upper thigh, no rubbing or chafing noted,proper cycle top, so how that happened I'm not sure. Maybe I got a "Friday afternoon" pair, you know when everyone wants to go home and can't be fussed with quality control!! I'm not a big Rapha fan , I think it's very overpriced so the new Core range looked inviting, but truthfully...there has clearly been some cost saving designed in, which shows in totally unacceptable wear, or I just got a bad pair...I don't know, but my shout goes to the Etxeondo Ohri or Endurance SL260 with pad width choice..both VERY comfy, hard wearing.
    As for the Rapha stuff, I personally won't be revisiting any time soon, there are, in my opinion as good/better shorts to be had.
  • alex222
    MrB123 wrote:
    handful wrote:

One thing that slightly puts me off the Pactimo stuff is the feeling that they're a bit "Planet X" in terms of their pricing strategy. There seems to be a 20% discount as standard and tales of 30%, 40% and even 50% discounts codes seem to abound on the web, plus the outlet stuff is heavily discounted.
    I can see where you are coming from, as I have never actually paid full RRP for their stuff, having at least always managed to grab 20% off for signing up to newsletters.
    Outlet stuff is mostly previous season's range (if not several seasons old) and so I don't think it is very different to discounts you see on other mainstream brands through retailers.
    But I do generally wait until there is a sale on or something I like hits the 'Outlet' section.
    I would like to try out some Rapha or Castelli top end stuff but price puts me off.