Haute Route training plan (turbo)

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
I've entered the Haute Route Pyrenees, a 7-day mountainous stage race in August, and I'm looking for a suitable 12-week training plan to follow (on my turbo trainer) through May, June and July.

I used to use the Sufferfest videos but not in a particularly structured way.

Have been using Zwift throughout Winter which has been great, but again without a lot of structure.

On top of my Winter base training, I've just spent 8 days hard riding in mountains in Spain, so my fitness is at a good level, but I'd like a plan to follow which will leave me in the best shape to tackle this tough race. I accept that my VO2 max and sprint will likely suffer if I simply put in long, steady miles, but perhaps this is best given the type of race I'm signed up for (realistically I won't be challenging for sprint finishes, it's all about pacing and getting up the long daily climbs as efficiently as possible without burning matches).

Any suggestions? I thought maybe Trainerroad but not sure if they have anything geared up towards a stage race rather than crits / TTs / one-off road races?

I'll be riding outdoors at weekends and possibly once or twice during the week if work allows, otherwise I'm confined (and prepared to accept) to the turbo, which is dull but means I can keep the structure if I've got the discipline.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I would think doing repeats on the mountain course including riding to the tower would sort you out? Make sure it's on 100% difficulty!
  • pedalbasher
    Not a bad shout, that.

But I'd still like something with more structure and a bit of variety.

For something like Haute Route, is it worth spending time on high intensity intervals (VO2 max, sprints etc) which I would ordinarily expect to do for race season, or should i just focus on long steady rides and improving FTP via e.g. sweetspot sessions to maximise time on the bike / bang for buck?

Can anyone recommend a proper 12 week plan? There must surely be some good plans out there that will fit the bill.

Thanks
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Strava premium offer a plan like that, unsuprisingly much the same as the time crunched cyclist
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just search for anything that will increase your CP60 and increase your PwR plus improved nutrition planning.
    Probably best to seek professional advice if funds are not a problem.
  • markhewitt1978
    Can anyone recommend a proper 12 week plan? There must surely be some good plans out there that will fit the bill.

What about the Zwift 12 week FTP raising workout plan? You say you have Zwift so it would be sensible to use the tools you have at your disposal.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I would think doing repeats on the mountain course including riding to the tower would sort you out? Make sure it's on 100% difficulty!

I woud agree with this. Use your weekend with a long ride to improve your general fitness and use Swift twice a week for higher intensity training. Just tackle the mountain once or twice with a certain wattage, and you will prepare yourself for the climbs in the Pyrenees.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Are you willing to pay for a plan? The A1members plans are decent and target different types of events? (They're the lot who just did the David Millar plan on here).
  • markhewitt1978
    Presumably you know the course you're riding? You could take a guess at the amount of time you're going to be climbing each climb for, and at what power. Then use the Zwift workout creator to create you a workout which simulates that. You won't get the full effect of climbing and the strains that puts on your body just because of the slope, but it should get your fitness thereabouts.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Point a few hairdryers at yourself too.

Decent practice for being really very hot.
  • markhewitt1978
    Point a few hairdryers at yourself too.
    Decent practice for being really very hot.

You don't need that on the turbo, just don't have any fans blowing at you. You'll reach heat stroke type levels within about 2 minutes ;)
  • pedalbasher
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll definitely do some Zwift mountain repeats and I may even devise my own hill climb-specific workout, but I think I'll need more variety to keep me interested / motivated.

I thought about the 12 week FTP builder workout but I've read reviews that say it's too easy (particularly in the early stages) and I' not convinced it'll get me to where I want to be.

One other option is the Sufferfest advanced 10 week workout, followed by 2 or 3 weeks of climbing-specific training. Any thoughts on that?
  • markhewitt1978
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll definitely do some Zwift mountain repeats and I may even devise my own hill climb-specific workout, but I think I'll need more variety to keep me interested / motivated.

I thought about the 12 week FTP builder workout but I've read reviews that say it's too easy (particularly in the early stages) and I' not convinced it'll get me to where I want to be.

One other option is the Sufferfest advanced 10 week workout, followed by 2 or 3 weeks of climbing-specific training. Any thoughts on that?

I think the real answer is, of course, it'll all work, what matters is getting something that you're going to stick with for the entire duration.

If you're not keen on using Zwift for serious training then Trainer Road is pretty good, they've got a plan for almost everything, including Sufferfest video integration. What sort of turbo do you have? As ERG mode on smart trainers is excellent. I've also quite liked the Tacx videos where you pedal along to a video of climbing a mountain somewhere.

Of course I'm sure you don't need it pointing out that the thing that's going to have the biggest affect on your hill climbing ability is getting to your minimum sustainable weight.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Trainerroad has lots of plans and a money Back guarantee.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    One thing I would consider is that it's easy to focus training on doing a 1hr climb whilst relativly fresh. Very different proposition doing a 1hr climb when it's your 4th or 5th of the day, and very different again doing that when you've already got a few days in your legs.

Being able to get up a climb in that state is often mentally very tough, plus you might need much lower gears than you would if doing it fresh.
  • steoroc
    steoroc Posts: 37
    The Tacx videos are tough. I have the Climbs Collection -Spain. It's a serious workout. It has the Angliru and la Farrapona, both with warm up climbs before them. You could be looking at 90 minutes or more at full pelt to complete either of them.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Trainer road have a climbing plan - which I used in conjunction with the advanced build plan for my primary training for last year's HR Dolomites.

Worked perfectly for me to put me in good shape come the event...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • pedalbasher
    I've gone for the Sufferfest's advanced plan. Makes sense given that I've already got most of the videos, and it works perfectly when synched up with Trainer Road and the KICKR.

Friday night FTP test tonight (need to get out more) puts me at 4.4w/kg. I'll see how that number looks after 10 weeks of the plan!

Cheers for all the advice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    You'll be alright at 4.4w/kg if that's accurate.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Hi,

How competitive do you want to be? Sounds like you have the fitness to do a bit better than just 'get round' but there are many more considerations to it than just w/kg.

Can you sustain a 6hr ride, with three blocks of 1-1.5hrs at constant 80-85%? That's what a typical day will have, and you have 6 of them assuming they're doing the same with adding in a 1hr TT which many ride as a rest day.

In the 12 weeks, I'd not neccessarily focus on building ftp, but work on being able to ride 1-2hrs at a constant power (the power you intend to climb at). Don't forget the altitude will zap 10-20% of your power, more when fatigue sets in. A mix of these type of rides and longer interval sets just below or at threshold should serve you well.

There are times where you'll need to make a dig, to perhaps stay with a group so you don't lose contact on the false flats between climbs, so a few vo2max, or shorter intervals would be useful to keep up a bit of your top end too.

In addition, are you able to lose a few lbs without sacrificing power? that would really help, and makes a huge difference. I was featherweight anyway, but still lost another 4kgs with no loss of power for the event which really helped.

Don't just focus on training either - start thinking about everything. For example, getting rest and recovery are essential. Start planning and getting into routines. Try and condition yourself to be in bed by 9pm, so you can wake fresh at 5.30am. My biggest problem last year was lack of sleep. Test the gels/food they are using this year before you go out, so you'll know whether they agree with you, or if you need your own. Is anyone supporting you? If so, get them to help as much as possible, so you only have to ride, sleep, and eat. Think long and hard about all your kit. Really hard. And test it all now along with all your spares.

I did the HR Alps last year, and absolutely loved it and was pretty competitive. It's incredibly hard, and some days you will want to throw your bike of the side of one of the cols. Other days you'll not be able to stop smiling. I want to do it again!

Good luck!