New Chain skipping

Kingzolo
Kingzolo Posts: 52
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just put a new SRAM X1 chain on my SRAM GX Drivetrain (Cassette and chainring aprox 800km) Problem is that the chain is skipping on the most work cassette sprockets.

Will the new chain stop skipping after a couple of rides or shuold i just put on the old chain back on and keep riding until it brakes and then replace cassette and chainring as well?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am guessing the old chain had stretched so much it has also worn the cassette. This is not unusual. It is unlikely the chainring(s) at the front are affected.
  • Kingzolo
    Kingzolo Posts: 52
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am guessing the old chain had stretched so much it has also worn the cassette. This is not unusual. It is unlikely the chainring(s) at the front are affected.

But will it stop skipping after some rides?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Kingzolo wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

It might stop skipping after 1,000 miles once the chain has stretched again, solution is to buy a new cassette.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Kingzolo wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Only once it stretches to a similar length as the old one but even then it may still skip under load. Just replace the cassette and you should be good to go.