Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer upload to Garmin and Strava

jaylfc147
jaylfc147 Posts: 49
Hi all,

I've just bought a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer and want to upload my rides to Strava. Am I right in thinking I need a speed / cadence sensor so it will connect to my Garmin 810 and then to Strava?

I've bought a dongle as well for my PC but struggling to get my head around it all. It seems like I need to buy additional software from Tacx or subscribe to Zwift for this to work??? Please help its driving me mad!!!

Thanks
James

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    No, you don't need a speed/cadence sensor because the Vortex broadcasts speed, cadence and power so you should be able to scan for them from your 810 directly. However, the whole point of a smart trainer is the software controllable resistance so I'd recommend you give it a go with Zwift. You don't use your Garmin at all with Zwift as it reads your power and cadence from the trainer and will automatically upload to Strava at the end of a ride.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Vortex will transmit speed, power, distance and gu-estimated cadence to the edge 810 as if you are outside

810 will not even know you are not outside, except your position does not move if you leave GPS on
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • jaylfc147
    jaylfc147 Posts: 49
    Brilliant! Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me you've saved me a headache! I think I'll go with zwift then, cheers!
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Cadence estimation can be miles out so my 10p's worth would be hr monitor, cadence sensor, dongle, zwift/TR subscription.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    jaylfc147 wrote:
    I've bought a dongle as well for my PC but struggling to get my head around it all. It seems like I need to buy additional software from Tacx or subscribe to Zwift for this to work??? Please help its driving me mad!!!

Hardware wise all you need is the dongle. Your Vortex will do the speed & cadence for you. You will need to subscribe to Zwift, if you want to use Zwift. If you are using Zwift then put your Garmin away and forget about it, it will only confuse matters.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    jaylfc147 wrote:

Hardware wise all you need is the dongle. Your Vortex will do the speed & cadence for you. You will need to subscribe to Zwift, if you want to use Zwift. If you are using Zwift then put your Garmin away and forget about it, it will only confuse matters.
    But the cadence number will be laughably incorrect. I have a Tacx smart trainer and a cadence sensor on my bike which is how I know this.
  • solstice21
    solstice21 Posts: 321
    Echo in here?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    wongataa wrote:
    jaylfc147 wrote:

But the cadence number will be laughably incorrect. I have a Tacx smart trainer and a cadence sensor on my bike which is how I know this.
    The garmin is still irrelevant. Pair the cadence sensor with zwift, done.....
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.