All Things Nasal !

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
The cold seems set off a runny nose in me.

This then continues and the mucus gets on my vocal chords - and I need to speak a lot in my job - I once ended up loosing my voice. a Hefy does of antibiotics sorted it out.

Ive started to have the problem again - I went to see my GP - by she wasn't reluctant to prescribe antibiotics - she thought she could help me best by tackling the problems in my nose - She gave me some drops to releive the nasal congestion which does seem to have helped.

She also said I could try a steriod nasal spay to stop the nose getting irritated\inflamed in the first place.....

Anbody else have this problem ?

I lot of my cycling has to be early in the morning, when it is still quite cold

Comments

• birel101
    birel101 Posts: 32
    Yes, me.

It all started when I took up cycling a few years ago, seems to have got worse over the years, I am considering going to the docs to see if they can help.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Had terrible sinus issues over the last year / 18 months on and off. Not sure how, where or when it began, just did. Could be age, could be time served in an aircraft factory - metal dust and all that, or just sinuses and passages collapsing with age, but found this stuff through sheer happen-stance and has worked wonders for my sinus' and appropriate airways which circumnavigate the forehead, eyes and ear areas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NeilMed-Origina ... inus+rinse

I also, if needed use breath right nasal strips now and again, if I find them closing up. Helps day in day our and sleeping inherently better with rinse before bed and occasional morning blast. Give it a go. What you need to note is that mucus needs to be dislodged and worked out of the sinus' over a few nights. Could be a virus or bacteria sitting in your sinus area somewhere that needs flushing out ! Hope this helps.
  • kingrollo
    O/P Here,

I am still on the NASAL drops which appear to have relieved the congestion - and I feel better.

However the coldish weather this morning has set my nose tingling again (just walking not cycling)

GP has also recommended Beconase nasal spay - I just worry that pumping to many chemicals up your nose - may in the short term releive symptoms - but long term may leave you more prone to colds etc ?
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Beconase is now Piriton nasal spray, i have used this in the past and its sometimes on BOGOF in Lloyds pharmacy

I get a runny nose too when cycling, wearing glasses helps but i haven't worn any this year.
    I put it down to the wind blowing in my eyes. i have a bit of a cold at the mo so its worse than usual.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Exactly how i deal with it on a ride hahaha.
    Although i failed at the few attempts i have tried of the 'double barrel' ending up with snot everywhere, so the one fingered approach is favored by me.

Its coming out anyway, so may as well get shot as best as possible.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I noticed that I suffered with breathing effectively when it's cold as it gives me asthma like symptoms and when I have a cold it hangs around and affects my performance for ages - I just can't seem to breath properly. I tend to use nasal sprays and olbas inhaler things. Once I get going though (after about 10-15 miles) it all opens up and I'm ok
    However, I had multiple pulomonary embolii in November and then a cold in Feb - so a combo of that essentially means I'm struggling to find top gear. I'm just hoping the embolism stuff will clear up over time - there's no way I'll do the TdF and Olympic gold double otherwise
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • kingrollo
    O/P Here....

I wonder if this just might be a stubborn cold.

I don't feel ill at all - but I am wanting to wear a jumper, and last night I woke up with a night sweat.
    I went out and did 25 at the weekend - it was early - but I really felt the cold - even though I have cycled in much colder weather.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Try neilmed on my aforementioned link.
  • I've had runny noses for years when out on the bike. I ended up with polyps which made things worse, but at least when I was out on the bike my nose would run more and clear things out a lot better than being stuck inside. I've since started leaving windows open through the house to get more flow of fresh air going.
    I've also asthma or asthma symptoms but it's very rare I need an inhaler when out in the fresh air, even on the coldest days I'm fine. A good Zwift session in the garage does mean I need a puff of the inhaler at some point during it.
    I'm now on a steroid nasal spray to alleviate the polyps and give me a sense of smell and taste again.
    My job means I'm nearly always in an A/C environment which does make me wheezy and bunged up if I'm not careful.
  • I have asthma and found many years ago that changing your pillow to an anti allergy version helped, change it every 6 months to keep them fresh, only cheap.
    The best thing I did to relieve mucus and keep my chest clear was to give up dairy. Sounds hard but ,
    Rice , hemp , oat , coconut , hazelnut , almond milk all taste great and each one has its place on cereal , coffee etc. Not too much soya milk as this isn`t as good for you I believe. (google it) .
    No more butter just the jam on toast . No cheese which I don't miss , vegan options are available .
    Some Alpro soya deserts and custards are ok.
    I lost half a stone and now wake up with no mucus in my nose and virtually never have snot. My nose still drips a bit when in cold air . Overall a huge improvement.
    The milk marketing board has run wild for years , I find you can do better without it.
    Sorry farmers .
    I also stopped eating meat , and only eat fish and eggs for some protein , veggie options work fine also.
    This gave me a huge energy boost as my system seemed to clean itself out. This resulted in another half stone lost.