How do you weigh your bike??

2»

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    How or Why?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just take the bathroom scales and weigh yourself. do not complicate your life... :D

life is too short :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://cancelesusdeudas.blogspot.mx/

Great first post 8)
    Defo one for my collection!

....... but how do you have time to register on a forum, set up an avatar, read all the posts, pick a post you disagree with, read all the threads, and post a reply with an obscure link???

You should take some of your own advice lol :roll:

It takes far less time (and is much more enjoyable :twisted: ) for me to weigh my bikes/components and check how light they are :wink:
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    you weigh your bikes?
    You have bathroom scales?
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    1. Remove bottles.
    2. On second thoughts, remove bottle cages.
    3. Remove lights.
    4. Remove mudguards if fitted.
    5. Remove pump.
    6. Remove pedals.
    7…9. You get the idea.
    10. Use ElectronShepherd’s method several times, pick the lightest result (bathroom scales are erratic), and round down for good measure.

If posting on the internet, knock off another half-kilogram.

Bicycles encountered on the road are a lot heavier than the ones encountered on forums, though they are often the same.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't believe I ever have. Don't know why I ever would. Don't really care what it weighs. Don't know what weighing would accomplish. Oh wait, I've just read that if you weigh your bike it will go faster.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    set of digital luggage scales from ebay for £4 checked with a few weights, works a treat.

I have these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50KG-LBS-OZ-H ... 1020013582

no measurement in pints which is weird but everything else so i guess fine.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Submerge bike into a large tank of water then collect the displaced water and measure the volume of the water. Since 1 litre of water = 1kg (on earth at least)

1kg of water has a mass of 1kg everywhere in the universe. It's weight is a different issue.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Unless all your scales have up-to-date calibration certificates, it's all meaningless.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Peat wrote:
    Unless all your scales have up-to-date calibration certificates, it's all meaningless.

No it isn't! A pre - printed piece of paper isn't the only way to know the accuracy of your scales nor does the absence of one necessarily mean your scales are wrong!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Rolf F wrote:
    Peat wrote:

No it isn't! A pre - printed piece of paper isn't the only way to know the accuracy of your scales nor does the absence of one necessarily mean your scales are wrong!
    Seriously? I'm thinking, who bothers with this sort of usless, time wasting, nobody cares behaviour. If you did weigh your bike, who out there would possibly care? Who would you tell? And why would you feel anyone really wanted to know?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dennisn wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Peat wrote:

Seriously? I'm thinking, who bothers with this sort of usless, time wasting, nobody cares behaviour. If you did weigh your bike, who out there would possibly care? Who would you tell? And why would you feel anyone really wanted to know?

Bike a bit heavy is it?! :lol:

Digital luggage scales are very good as it happens so not worth worrying about calibration etc. I spent quite a bit of money saving weight on my Look and was pleased to get it down to UCI weight limit. It did have a noticeable effect on how the bike feels but, of course, actually quantifying the weight saving doesn't strictly matter. But it did enable me to target and reach a logical conclusion to the spendathon so the fiver or so the scales cost me was probably not wasted.

Time wasting? I'm not sure how useful every minute of your life is but I was happy to throw five minutes of my life away on weighing my bike! It's almost as useless, time wasting and nobody cares behaviourish as posting on an internet forum.......
    Faster than a tent.......