first mountain bike

Gazzington
Gazzington Posts: 13
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi. I am sure this forum gets sick of questions like which of the following would make a great purchase for someone who has not cycled for over 15 years! I live in west wales and am thinking of just cycling bumpy country lanes before trying anything more chalenging.

I am willing to spend up to £500, so am wondering what you would all recommend?

I have done research and discovered the following are popular choices:
Carrera kraken
Voodoo Bantu
Calibre two two

Would you recommend any of these or any others?

Many thanks

Gary

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 93188.html
    Is an absolute bargain at that price and comparable to many £500 bikes.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-56 ... 36092.html
    Suits your budget and is a little better specced and has the latest fashion in wheel size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dam the first option is sold out.

Matter of interest, what are the pros and cons of both hybrid and mountain bikes?
  • The Rookie
    Impossible to answer, hybrids range from bikes that are basically a mountain bike with rigid forks and road orientated tyres (Carrera Subway or Voodoo Marasa) to road bikes with flat bars (Boardman hybrid, Planet-X London road or btwin Triban range), however oif you compare a mountain bike to the Voodoo Marasa (a great value buy), on road the Marasa is a bit quicker due to the lower rolling resistance, it can be made even faster with more road orientated tyres, off road on stock tyre the Marasa will cope with gravel trails and with a decent rider it will cope with almost anything you could take a low end hardtail over as long as the tyres have enough grip, or swap in some decent tyres and it's really very competent off road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks. I shall take a look at the voodoo Marasa. Any other good hybrid bikes i should look at? I feel that I want a bike that is not too heavy for road use but also able to go slightly off terrain due to me mainly cycling along bumpy country roads.
  • The Rookie
    If it's for bumpy road rides consider something like the Boardman MX, 700c wheels with a hybrid road tyre and short travel suspension to take the sting out of bigger lumps and bumps. I've hired Giant Roam's (similar bike) and done 100mile plus rough road rides on them.
  • Sorry to be very indecisive. I have looked at hybrids and mountain bikes and decided mountain bikes are for me. Now I need to decide between:
    Rock rider 560
    Carrera kraken or fury
    Voodoo bizango
    Trek x caliber 7
    Calibre two two
    Grand Canyon

I promise not to ask more questions after this, but these are all within budget so which would you recommend?
  • The Rookie
    For bumpy on road rides either the Bizango or Garnd Canyon for the bigger wheel, it will roll a bit easier and be a bit more comfortable. But I really wouldn't pick either for road riding, a Boardman MX will be just as comfy and a lot faster.
  • Gazzington
    Gazzington Posts: 13
    Well I finally took the plunge after months of research and bought a rockrider 560. It seems like such good value for money. Can't wait for it to arrive