The end of cycling?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Why would vegetarians or vegans want to give their money to a company that predominantly makes products using bits of dead cow? there are plenty of other saddles out there which probably don't have skin and gristle in them.
    Exactly, if you feel strongly enough that you won't touch leather goods and think Morrisey is a genius you're unlikely to support a company that is known for making leather goods. Unless you're a bit hard of thinking.
    Oh, hang on...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Why would vegetarians or vegans want to give their money to a company that predominantly makes products using bits of dead cow? there are plenty of other saddles out there which probably don't have skin and gristle in them.
    Exactly, if you feel strongly enough that you won't touch leather goods and think Morrisey is a genius you're unlikely to support a company that is known for making leather goods. Unless you're a bit hard of thinking.
    Oh, hang on...
    So this really is the end of cycling?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410
    Not yet. When they make motors that are so small, they are undetectable to the human eye on bikes made of Graphene with transmissions and wheels that have 0 rolling resistance and Assos make a suit that defies the laws of wind drag/gravity and Wiggle start selling (legal) Lance Armstrong gels that make you super human. Maybe, just maybe then.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Pearls before swine, Dennis. Get well soon.
  • dennisn
    bill57 wrote:

Ahhh to hell with getting well. Who wants to live in a world where you're forced to buy a vegan saddle just to be politically correct.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    dennisn wrote:
    bill57 wrote:

Ahhh to hell with getting well. Who wants to live in a world where you're forced to buy a vegan saddle just to be politically correct.

they are still making leather saddles though aren't they? so no one is forcing anyone to buy a vegan saddle much like no one is forcing anyone to buy a leather one.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Vegetarians should be tolerated for religious or sound arguments around too many cows farting and needing grass that f's up the planet.

Outside of that it is just plain cruelty. It's our fault there is not enough predators to thin out the weak in nature (well except all those cats munching their way through the entire song bird population of Britain), so we need to get on with it. Also think of all those poor little lambs, chickens, pheasants, grouse, leverets, piggy wiggies and the rest who would never have a nice life wandering around a field for a while if I didn't munch on them.

We should all support animal welfare. Eat free range meat to support a life tomorrow and support the hunters who take care of the old and infirm.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    We should all support animal welfare. Eat free range meat to support a life tomorrow and support the hunters who take care of the old and infirm.

And I do. One of my fellow cyclists still remembers the time he nearly ran into me, as I slammed on the brakes at the sight of a freshly killed woodcock at the roadside. My favourite is a nice young rabbit though.
  • dennisn
    Chris Bass wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    bill57 wrote:

they are still making leather saddles though aren't they? so no one is forcing anyone to buy a vegan saddle much like no one is forcing anyone to buy a leather one.

OK OK ya got me. Not yet they aren't. However, I did see this happening in a vision. Outraged vegans declaring holy war on any and all of the rest of us and instituting, dare I say it, vegan law.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    dennisn wrote:
    Outraged vegans declaring holy war on any and all of the rest of us and instituting, dare I say it, vegan law.
    Well, if Morrisey does run for Mayor he may get a taste for blood and then aim for prime minister.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Oh, hang on...

Good point. Why would anyone go for a non-leather Brooks? Kind of like ordering your new Ferrari in green 'cause you don't like red.

I don't really see the point of avoiding leather. Do Selle Italia keep their own herds or something?
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    How to become vegetarian, some helpful tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvdf6e8birI
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    dennisn wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    bill57 wrote:

OK OK ya got me. Not yet they aren't. However, I did see this happening in a vision. Outraged vegans declaring holy war on any and all of the rest of us and instituting, dare I say it, vegan law.

It has already begun!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPAxEcZeuw
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dennisn
    Chris Bass wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    bill57 wrote:

It has already begun!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPAxEcZeuw
    I knew it.
  • Smithster
    Smithster Posts: 117
    I'm a vegetarian, and there is no way I would eat a Brooks saddle. I much prefer a none animal based product such as a synthetic charge scoop. Plus they are way cheaper.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410
    Smithster wrote:
    I'm a vegetarian, and there is no way I would eat a Brooks saddle. I much prefer a none animal based product such as a synthetic charge scoop. Plus they are way cheaper.

Not even an antique brooks saddle with a generous dollop of organic fair trade ketchup?

I was going to suggest brown sauce but...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!