Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

The end of cycling?

dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
edited March 2016 in Road general
Just saw a Brooks C17 saddle for sale that was claimed "...perfect for vegetarians....". This must be a sign of the coming apocalypse. It must be.
«1

Posts

  • metronomemetronome Posts: 669
    Why does this warrant a click-bait thread?

    Some vegetarians abstain from animal derived products. Some vegetarians favour the aesthetic of a Brooks saddle. Brooks manufacture a saddle aimed at said vegetarians with a clear and concise marketing campaign. It's simple economics.

    I guess the end of cycling will be slightly more complicated than a demographic with a moral conscience and ethical conviction.

    x
    tick - tick - tick
  • metronome wrote:
    Why does this warrant a click-bait thread?

    Some vegetarians abstain from animal derived products. Some vegetarians favour the aesthetic of a Brooks saddle. Brooks manufacture a saddle aimed at said vegetarians with a clear and concise marketing campaign. It's simple economics.

    I guess the end of cycling will be slightly more complicated than a demographic with a moral conscience and ethical conviction.

    x

    Excuse me metronome but who on earth do you think you are? You clearly have less posts to your forum profile than dennisn and thus have no right to contradict his ridiculous opening post with your logic and intelligence. That isn't how things work around here, know your place.
  • I agree with dennisn
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jrichjrich Posts: 278
    It's simple economics.

    Yes.... hence it's the end of cycling...
  • NMFBNMFB Posts: 5
    Providing products some people might want to buy? How outrageous will these capitalist swine get?
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    I was going to buy one but couldn't find out if they are gluten free.
  • debelidebeli Posts: 582
    My answer: g
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    metronome wrote:
    Why does this warrant a click-bait thread?

    Some vegetarians abstain from animal derived products. Some vegetarians favour the aesthetic of a Brooks saddle. Brooks manufacture a saddle aimed at said vegetarians with a clear and concise marketing campaign. It's simple economics.

    I guess the end of cycling will be slightly more complicated than a demographic with a moral conscience and ethical conviction.

    x
    Seriously? You took this seriously? In my defence when I saw the advertisement my first thought was - This can't be. There isn't a person on this earth who would care if a bicycle saddle is vegan compatible. And yet.....
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,717 Lives Here
    dennisn wrote:
    I was going to buy one but couldn't find out if they are gluten free.
    Yes, but they may contain nuts. Or carry them at any rate.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    veronese68 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I was going to buy one but couldn't find out if they are gluten free.
    Yes, but they may contain nuts. Or carry them at any rate.
    Heh heh. Good one.
  • metronomemetronome Posts: 669
    dennisn wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Why does this warrant a click-bait thread?

    Some vegetarians abstain from animal derived products. Some vegetarians favour the aesthetic of a Brooks saddle. Brooks manufacture a saddle aimed at said vegetarians with a clear and concise marketing campaign. It's simple economics.

    I guess the end of cycling will be slightly more complicated than a demographic with a moral conscience and ethical conviction.

    x
    Seriously? You took this seriously? In my defence when I saw the advertisement my first thought was - This can't be. There isn't a person on this earth who would care if a bicycle saddle is vegan compatible. And yet.....

    I don't understand your problem. Many people abstain from animal products. That includes leather. I'm sorry if this does't fit inside your radar of normal.
    tick - tick - tick
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    metronome wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Why does this warrant a click-bait thread?

    Some vegetarians abstain from animal derived products. Some vegetarians favour the aesthetic of a Brooks saddle. Brooks manufacture a saddle aimed at said vegetarians with a clear and concise marketing campaign. It's simple economics.

    I guess the end of cycling will be slightly more complicated than a demographic with a moral conscience and ethical conviction.

    x
    Seriously? You took this seriously? In my defence when I saw the advertisement my first thought was - This can't be. There isn't a person on this earth who would care if a bicycle saddle is vegan compatible. And yet.....

    I don't understand your problem. Many people abstain from animal products. That includes leather. I'm sorry if this does't fit inside your radar of normal.


    Wow, you did take this seriously. So there really IS one person on this earth who would care. Sorry, my bad.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,358
    radar of normal...

    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/normal ... r/27011_pc

    not sure what it's got to do with cabbage crunchers though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • metronomemetronome Posts: 669
    Okay I'm pretty bored of your ignorance but to spell it again...

    Brooks, recognise - one would surmise after undertaking research (?) - that a certain percentage of their potential market are vegetarian. Which is unsurprising -- vegetarians have a reputation for being health-conscious and active.

    You do realise that the little green Vs on foodstuff and cosmetics etc. indicate the product contains no animal derived products. This is simply that.

    It's really not a difficult concept.
    tick - tick - tick
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,358
    you might want to consider taking a deep breath and acquiring a sense of perspective and/or humour
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    you might want to consider taking a deep breath and acquiring a sense of perspective and/or humour

    He's waiting for the vegan helmet thread
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,358
    i remember the vegans from hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, awful poets
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    metronome wrote:
    Okay I'm pretty bored of your ignorance but to spell it again...

    Brooks, recognise - one would surmise after undertaking research (?) - that a certain percentage of their potential market are vegetarian. Which is unsurprising -- vegetarians have a reputation for being health-conscious and active.

    You do realise that the little green Vs on foodstuff and cosmetics etc. indicate the product contains no animal derived products. This is simply that.

    It's really not a difficult concept.

    Now look, I've got a broken leg. I've had it for four months now. Still can't put any weight on it. My brain is fast approaching all but gone and it's tank is on empty. Not a lot to do in my case. So I do my best to keep myself amused and you guys are part of it. After this topic I'm thinking about going on the attack on some vegan forum. That might be great fun. :twisted:
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,358
    don't let them know you're injured! once the veggies scent blood they never give up until they get you
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    sungod wrote:
    don't let them know you're injured! once the veggies scent blood they never give up until they get you
    Good point.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,731
    sungod wrote:
    don't let them know you're injured! once the veggies scent blood they never give up until they get you

    There's irony in there somewhere.

    Now, as for my saddle with parts made out of the bi-products of the Petro chemical industry...

    When I attend my next S&M session, i'm going to make Miss Whiplash froth at the mouth when I ask her if this restraining kit is faux leather. Should be a good afternoon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    pinno wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    don't let them know you're injured! once the veggies scent blood they never give up until they get you

    There's irony in there somewhere.

    Now, as for my saddle with parts made out of the bi-products of the Petro chemical industry...

    When I attend my next S&M session, i'm going to make Miss Whiplash froth at the mouth when I ask her if this restraining kit is faux leather. Should be a good afternoon.
    Or a bad one depending on your views or tendencies.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,731
    ...especially if you used to be known as 'Grasshopper'.

    I really do hope that leg of yours gets better quickly :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    pinno wrote:
    ...especially if you used to be known as 'Grasshopper'.

    I really do hope that leg of yours gets better quickly :wink:
    Supposed to see the Doctor this Monday. If I don't get to start, at least, walking soon I'm thinking my wife may have me killed.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,731
    I see. So that isn't an arty shot of a blue moon - it's an x-ray?
    How did you break it?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Why would vegetarians or vegans want to give their money to a company that predominantly makes products using bits of dead cow? there are plenty of other saddles out there which probably don't have skin and gristle in them.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,509
    pinno wrote:
    I see. So that isn't an arty shot of a blue moon - it's an x-ray?
    How did you break it?
    Slipped on a step going down into the garage. Broke both the tibia and the fibula. 2 big metal plates and 30 or so screws.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,731
    dennisn wrote:
    pinno wrote:
    I see. So that isn't an arty shot of a blue moon - it's an x-ray?
    How did you break it?
    Slipped on a step going down into the garage. Broke both the tibia and the fibula. 2 big metal plates and 30 or so screws.

    Ouch.

    Is that why you've been such a cranky old basket? :D
    What's the scrap value n the metalwork?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fwgxfwgx Posts: 114
    Who is eating their saddle!?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,731
    Who's saddle have they bitten?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
Sign In or Register to comment.