[Video] How to CORRECTLY setup rebound damping

AndreXTR
AndreXTR Posts: 64
edited February 2016 in MTB general
Hello guys! Just want to share one of my tech videos. Probably the most important one.

I found that many riders out there have a completely "wrong" rebound setting on the rear shocks. In this video I will explain how to correctly tune your rebound damping for achieve a great stability & traction balance. To the best of my knowledge this is the most reproducible and easier method to tune the rebound of a shock. It is also a great starting point for fine-tuning.

243qm92.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHQd4mzl3Y

I hope you like it :) Any question feel free.
Bye from Portugal.

Comments

• Nice video, thanks for posting. I am sure it will help many readers including me!
    Stay positive people :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Got bored after a couple minutes. You could have made that video a quater of the length with some editing.
    I use the technique of finding a nice, rooty corner. Ride it with rebound really slow and keep repeating while adding a click each time until I find peak grip levels without it spiking. Then just try a few big jumps to tweek the low speed rebound.
    That's pretty much what the Cane Creek tuning guide suggests doing.
  • DavidRadar wrote:
    Nice video, thanks for posting. I am sure it will help many readers including me!

Thank you! Yes, it already helped some riders that used extreme rebound settings (either too slow or too fast).
    With this technique you will get a good rebound setting without mastering the science behind the "suspension empirical feeling tuneability" :lol:
  • Looks good advice Andre I'm going to give it a go but you don't say whether to have the shock set to pedal/ trail mode or open / descend mode before trying the cerb test
  • Hi. You can do the test in full open mode... Compression and rebound are independent circuits, so I don't think that will influence the end-result, but for simplicity you can do it full open. Of course that if you do the curb test in a locked-out mode (an extreme case of compression damping) the shock will not compress and therefore will not rebound :D But since you mention this, after achieving the critical damping setting, change the compression for tail mode and whatsoever and share with us if that had any affect in the oscillations. Bye.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Got bored after a couple minutes. You could have made that video a quater of the length with some editing.

How, exactly, could he have lost three quarters of that video and still got all the information across? There wasn't a whole lot of fat on it. Did you get bored because you already know how his stuff? I found it most useful because
    I don't. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works, but once I get a break from work I'm going to give it a go.
    Then just try a few big jumps to tweek the low speed rebound.
    That's pretty much what the Cane Creek tuning guide suggests doing.

Yes, very useful for those of us who would end up in hospital if we tried a few big jumps.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus, don't worry with the monkey guy! He is an internet troll :lol: lol

Yes, give it a try! It's a great method to tune the rebound for beginners and even for advanced riders. I've been received great feedback from people that corrected their completely "wrong" rebound setting using this method. :)

And stay tuned for the next episode! I will show you an inexpensive and innovative method for suspension real data acquisition. Bye! :D
  • Hi guys! For those who saw the video, just wanted to share some REAL DATA from my shock with different rebound settings in the curb test... You can see the oscillations now :) The green line was in slowest rebound setting. So slow that the shock stayed "packed down" after the curb impact... It did not recover to the equilibrium position (SAG).

In the next days I will upload a video to show you a FREE method to do these suspension real data acquisition. This is really awesome! :D

nmgfna.jpg

Stay tuned!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Sounds interesting. Look forward to it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Something that I experienced riding a friends commencal meta amv4 equiped with bos suspension looks very similar to the green line on your graph,
    When you firm up the compression (climb mode) on the vpr 2.1 the rebound also becomes way to slow regardles what the rebound setting in open mode is.

This makes rear end work deep in it's travel while climbing as the shaft won't go back to sag position fast enough, after successive hits, you find your self pedaling up in 50% sag or more and wandering all over the place as the steering gets funny and pedaling position to far back
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Hello!

After many requests, here it is the video with some tips and my personal advice to adjust the Low and High-speed compression and rebound (HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR).

0.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjql1kExvCE

I hope you find it useful!

Bye