Quick Q About Tacx Vortex Smart

deejaysee
deejaysee Posts: 149
So i really want to get one but one thing is putting me off atm and thats the need for the Tacx tyre.
Is the tyre really essential? Will the trainer butcher my Conti 4S in no time?

I only have one bike so unless i buy a spare wheel, which i dont really want to do, the thought of having to constantly switch the tyre over from outdoor to trainer tyre is putting me off massively

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You don't need a trainer tyre for a turbo. I don't bother. If my turbo use wears out my current tyre more quickly I will just put a new one one and not faff about changing tyres or wheels for a trainer specific tyre.
  • You don't need a specific tyre if you only have one bike but the tyre will wear down more quickly compared to just road use.

I would look at a cheap 2nd wheel just for turbo duties in the medium term.
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    I just use a generic turbo tyre with mine (same as with my old wind turbo). I'm not too concerned about a normal tyre wearing (I have lots of old ones), but I was concerned about the amount of powdered rubber those tyres were spreading over the carpet after each session...
  • Just trying to keep the cost down.
    Buy 2nd hand wheel, also need a cassette and the special tyre etc - starts to rack up.

Reading some other forums many people state as long as you use slicks it should be fine.
    Are Conti four seasons considered slicks, even if they do have a tread on them?

The standard tyres my Giant came with are proper slicks with no tread so could just bang that back on
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    I just use a second wheel with an old tyre. Works perfectly well.
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade