Husseft stem....any good??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new stem, found this, seems cheap??! Any good????

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/truvativ ... GwodGgkGZQ

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a fairly heavy DH type stem.

As a stem it will work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a heavyweight downhill stem, all wrong for your Spesh!

Have a look at the newish Kalloy Uno, light, stiff and not at all expensive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I've had one for a couple of years and it works fine, just heavy. Wouldn't buy it now that there are so many cheap lightish ones on the market
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I have this one on my Anthem and it's OK but as said it's not the lightest...
  • The Rookie
    At 200g it's close to the heaviest, the generic forged and CNC sold by on-one and superstar etc etc are circa 130g, the Uno is circa 95g, mine is 88g with Ti bolts (total cost £25).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Have a look at the Truvativ AKA as an alternative. Light, good quality. I just removed one from my bike, was very pleased with it.
  • JGTR
    Thanks I'll have a look, only got £25 ish as have spent far too much money this month. Wasn't sure about cheaper versions, don't want it to snap!!

Main problem I'm having is finding a 40mm stem, all the cheap ones are 60mm+
  • The Rookie
    40mm is a big step down from the current stem, is the cockpit too long?

You can get the Exotic Enduro stem at 50mm and 123g, £20 on eBay.
  • JGTR
    Fancied a change, rode a bike with a very short stem and really liked it hence I don't want to spend loads incase I don't like it.
  • The Rookie
    But you need to match stem and cockpit length and bar width, just matching stem length is not the right way to do it, also the bikes ego will dictate how a stem length affects it.

It's a bit like saying you tried a 29er and liked it and trying to fit 29er wheels into your 26er!
  • JGTR
    Depends who you talk to, everyone has their own take on it, if I don't like it then I'll switch back, if I need a bigger bar then I'll look at getting one. It's also about matching the bike to the individual, no stock setup will ever suit everyone.
  • The Rookie
    Agreed, but a bike with a 50mm stem has probably got the rest of the setup to suite, longer ETT, wider bars and slacker front end, putting it on your bike you can only do the bar width, the others you can't.

If it's trial and error, try and borrow one or buy used so you don't lose too much until you find what you want.