FOX FLOAT 32's Evo 140mm - Clicking/Clunking - What Is It?!

2»

Comments

• That's brilliant. Good to know we get looked after if we have problems

I know it's piece of mind atleast for unsatisfied customers, luckily they've been very considerate and I think they were happy that I was willing to make the journey myself as I did not want to put my full faith into Evans as they openly admitted to me that they had no room to store my bike whilst they sent off the forks, they then told me they would 'find space if they had to' meaning it could've ended up anywhere in the shop which I wasn't too happy hearing considering it's virtually brand new!

So hopefully my overly cautious nature will pay off with the results I gain from visiting Mojo myself. We'll see!
  • Wow,

Some good service from MOJO. Sounds like a win situation for you.

But don't have all that work done to ride another 10 hours in 4 months :).

That was my experience and thoughts of the Fox, mine came on a 2015 Giant Talon 0. But I also had two other bikes, one with a Reba and the other with XC28. I swear the XC28 performed better in my case. I wouldn't class myself as an aggressive rider, but I like lots of late breaking and just chucking it in to a corner and holding on and I am 92kg so maybe weight comes in to it. But I didn't get on with it.

Anyway ride more and enjoy it.

I myself now am too hyped up about the Ohlins fork and hoping they release a 650b version or even a 26" one.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    sounds like a ticking bomb to me...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Wow,

That was my experience and thoughts of the Fox, mine came on a 2015 Giant Talon 0. But I also had two other bikes, one with a Reba and the other with XC28. I swear the XC28 performed better in my case. I wouldn't class myself as an aggressive rider, but I like lots of late breaking and just chucking it in to a corner and holding on and I am 92kg so maybe weight comes in to it. But I didn't get on with it.

I myself now am too hyped up about the Ohlins fork and hoping they release a 650b version or even a 26" one.

I do plan on getting out on it more when I'm fully comfortable with the bike! Can't wait to see the results after tomorow.
    Herdwick wrote:
    sounds like a ticking bomb to me...

How so?
  • Wow,

And I haven't read about the ohlins fork, care to spare some knowledge of why it's your main interest?
  • Wow,

And I haven't read about the ohlins fork, care to spare some knowledge of why it's your main interest?

Using other two wheeled toys too where Ohlins are the best in the industry. Moto Gp, BSB, WSB pretty much every one uses them. And as far as I know they all have to purchase the forks no freebies. Industry standard for racing. So the fact they are doing a MTB fork IMO is a big game changer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just remember Fifth Element when you claim it 'is' going to be a big game changer........may would be a better supposition.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wow,

Using other two wheeled toys too where Ohlins are the best in the industry. Moto Gp, BSB, WSB pretty much every one uses them. And as far as I know they all have to purchase the forks no freebies. Industry standard for racing. So the fact they are doing a MTB fork IMO is a big game changer.

Fox Float 32 Evolution - 2016 FIT4 Factory Series Damper Upgrade - Details

Firsrtly, I'd like to in-directly thank Mojo for their fantastic customer service today. They're a very friendly company who'll do a lot for you even when little/no profit is made for themselves. They don't often have people take their own products in, instead, they usually receive work from places like Evans for repairs, so when they do get someone come in I'm sure they give you priority, especially if you organise a 200 mile round trip to visit them yourself as I did today.

So I set off from Coventry at 6:00 this morning to make sure the 2 hour long journey would get me there on time for their 8:30 opening. I arrived at around 8:10 to be greeted by a great lad called Luke immediately offering me a coffee knowing how far I'd driven, who I've been speaking to regarding my concerns with my current fork and the clicking sounds it had been making (Mentioned here in another thread:http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=13041996). We organised the trip in order for them to have a good look at the fork and to inspect the sounds it was making, as I'd read it was a very good idea, I opted to upgrade my damper to the 2016 FIT4 Factory Series Damper whilst they were checking it out.

It turns out the old 2015 CTD C/O damper was the route cause for all my concerns, once it was removed, Luke showed me just how bad it was. Without a video it's hard to describe, but the damper piston would move in and out way too far on it's own after each stroke, meaning when pushed in it would push itself out and visa-versa, I was assured this was not at all correct for it to be acting like this.

Moving on, after the new damper was fitted they were kind enough to re-set my sag after the store I bought my Mondraker Foxy from did a terrible job of getting the correct PSI in the shock. After this I took it for a ride and WOW! The bike feels incredible, and to think I felt 'Happy' with it's performance before is just crazy because the performance improvement is like night and day, that's the honest truth.

The old 2015 CTD C/O damper has three different modes (Climb, Trail & Descend). The new 2016 FIT4 Factory Series Damper sports a similar three modes, just with different names (Open, Medium & Firm). The big difference is, in the open setting (Descent Equivalent), on the factory series damper, there's now an 22 stage adjustment for low speed compression which starts with the most anti-clockwise position being the softest possible setting and the most clock-wise position being the firmest. This is why I would recommend the 2016 FIT4 Factory Series Damper upgrade to anyone still running the old version, it's better in every way. The small bump sensitivity has improved ten-fold and the fork feel has dramatically improved. Just from one ride I can tell how different the entire bike feels!

Of course this is open to your own opinions and if you're happy with your fork and don't fancy paying for it outside of warranty then that's completely understandable, but if you want an improved fork and don't fancy paying the full way for a brand new one, this is for sure the way to go if you're running the old cartridge still.

For anyone interested, the new 2016 FIT4 Factory Series Damper's part number is here: 820-08-596-KIT.

Thanks for reading, any questions about what I've said here, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Olly.
  • Good times, happy you can notice a difference too. This is how it felt with my REBA and the CTD fork. But I was impatient and didn't like the 50/50 chance of maybe there is a fault. I am sure MOJO would have done there best. But by then I had changed it and forgot FOX.

Still curious though, how would you describe the small bump sensitivity pre and post change?

TheRookie, I did say IMO :) but I am waiting for some real world reviews. With the heritage and experience you would expect it to be game changer. But I guess time will tell.
  • Good times, happy you can notice a difference too. This is how it felt with my REBA and the CTD fork. But I was impatient and didn't like the 50/50 chance of maybe there is a fault. I am sure MOJO would have done there best. But by then I had changed it and forgot FOX.

Still curious though, how would you describe the small bump sensitivity pre and post change?

TheRookie, I did say IMO :) but I am waiting for some real world reviews. With the heritage and experience you would expect it to be game changer. But I guess time will tell.

Well I haven't had much time to check out the entirety of the forks settings yet, but the ride I did yesterday was enough to show much how much the small bump sensitivity has improved. Before there was a lot more jerkiness through the bars which didn't seem to be soaked up, at first I didn't mind because it was a huge improvement on my previous fork. But now, after riding the rough trail yesterday, the fork is so forgiving and it allowed me to ride differently. All the small bumps were just ironed out so well leaving me with a lot of confidence for the really rough bits.

All in all, there's a huge improvement from the previous damper, I can't imagine what the new 36's feel like with the uprated airspring and kashima coating too, they must be like heaven!
  • Glad MOJO sorted you out and you are happy with the finished product.

For me it seems like Fox did the CTD R&D on customers and have annoyed some people enough not to go back. The 2015 32" Float CTD was my first Fox fork, and the last for now. I certainly wouldn't purchase a Fox fork in the future unless it came as standard on a bike and changed my opinion of what I have experienced thus far. And the fork was what made me purchase the bike in the end. Shame they didn't offer the "Fox Loyalty" program in the UK or whatever it is called like they did in the US. It is like they admitted they made a mistake but we will charge you full RRP to rectify our mistake.

That is my experience of Fox, and I don't understand how they could get it so wrong. Mine is hung on the wall where it will stay.