FOX FLOAT 32's Evo 140mm - Clicking/Clunking - What Is It?!

OLLYTURTON
OLLYTURTON Posts: 22
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm hoping some of you could shed some light on what this might be. The bike was brought brand new (The forks came standard on my Mondraker Foxy 2015). I first noticed it after approximately 10 hours of riding, not particularly hard riding as I'm relatively new to the MTB'ing scene.

Here is a link to a video of the sound my forks are making, note that after a few cycles of the fork the sound seems to get less and less but when left and used again the sound reappears again.

In the video the first compression's are on trail setting, then I pause and changed to descent, then I pause and change back to trail again. As you can hear, the sound changes between settings leading my very untrained mind to believe it may be something to do with the rebound damping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAhUeR-7Y0

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue before I send it off for a warranty check-over at Mojo Suspension, through Evans Cycles.

Any other advice or knowledge on this matter is more than welcome, Thanks and kind regards to any who read/reply, Olly.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fox 32 Evo's are a terrible fork and have known reliability issues.
    They don't sound right, get them sorted then sell them while they're working.
  • Fox 32 Evo's are a terrible fork and have known reliability issues.
    They don't sound right, get them sorted then sell them while they're working.

A terrible fork? could you expand a bit on your reasoning for this opinion? I understand this to be an entry level fork/bike but I could afford no better than this specification, so to say they're terrible is surely relating them to better forks?

I don't intend on selling them mate I've just dished out a fair bit of money for this bike and I was expecting a reasonable specification to last me a fair while. I will replace the forks with a better model in a few years when these have seen their best days but for now I will pursue a repair/warranty replacement and go from there but I was hoping for some inside/outside knowledge as to what these issue might actually be before I go sending them to Mojo just for a better understanding.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The 2013 - 2015 Fox CTD evo series forks have an extremely poor quality damper (small bump harshness and blowing straight through to bottom on big bumps). It's not at all well controlled in any of the three settings. It also suffers a lot of flex due to the weak chassis.
    It's poor performance is mentioned in lots of bike reviews. A test ride on a Giant Trance with one fitted was enough to put me right off the bike.
    On the plus side, if you get it sorted you would be able to sell it for enough to pay for a much better Rockshox Revelation.
  • The 2013 - 2015 Fox CTD evo series forks have an extremely poor quality damper (small bump harshness and blowing straight through to bottom on big bumps). It's not at all well controlled in any of the three settings. It also suffers a lot of flex due to the weak chassis.
    It's poor performance is mentioned in lots of bike reviews. A test ride on a Giant Trance with one fitted was enough to put me right off the bike.
    On the plus side, if you get it sorted you would be able to sell it for enough to pay for a much better Rockshox Revelation.

Well I guess the fact that the best fork I've ever ridden previous to this bike was a Rockshox XC28 which cost £100 is the reason I wouldn't notice any of the above, to me the fork feels incredible and for my current style/skill level of riding I feel it's providing me with all the support and feedback I could need at the moment. I do however trust your comments very much so, so I will be mentioning this to Evans Cycles and Mojo to see if there's anything that can be done to improve the fork.

I am going into my fourth month of ownership of this bike, and approximately 10 hours of riding old. Where do you think I stand in terms of warranty and Evans as I was told this was a fantastic fork at this price-point of complete bike. I'm not sure what to do about it as I will be continuing with this fork regardless for the time being. I want to get it looked at under warranty but should I ask for a reduction in price for a damper upgrade? I've been reading about the possibilities here: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/fox-fit-2015-damper-upgrade-vs-new-fork-worth-941042.html

The above URL suggests a FIT damper upgrade, but this could set me back some additional money. Other than selling up and buying a rockshox fork which I understand you would consider my best option, what would you recommend for my existing fork considering I wish to keep it and potentially improve it until I have enough money to upgrade it in the future when my skill starts to overtake the forks potential. It's still got plenty of warranty and I will be sending it off to Mojo, what should I ask them to do? apart from replace the damper with another shoddy one, should I explore the options to upgrade to the FIT damper?.

Also, is the Fox CDT rear shock (Fox Float LV CTD Evolution, 200x57mm) known to have any issues too?
  • Explain that you are unhappy with the poor performance of the fork especially with the price you have paid. Explain that it's marketed and sold as a high performance item but in real life it is much the opposite. Say it's not something you expected from a premium brand and feel disappointed and had. That's what I said with mine after 4 warranty issues and the silly money I forked out on servicing it. it really was a dire fork. They gave me a 2015 performance series kashima one free of charge and apologised.
  • Explain that you are unhappy with the poor performance of the fork especially with the price you have paid. Explain that it's marketed and sold as a high performance item but in real life it is much the opposite. Say it's not something you expected from a premium brand and feel disappointed and had. That's what I said with mine after 4 warranty issues and the silly money I forked out on servicing it. it really was a dire fork. They gave me a 2015 performance series kashima one free of charge and apologised.

Wow, I bet you were a happy bunny with that result matey! My only concern is that I have to go through Evans cycles/mojo suspension which is the uk company that deals with all fox warranty concerns. I assume you went straight to fox with your problem? And that would be easier from the US I'd imagine, communication alone from the uk could cost me an arm and a leg let alone sending them off to the us if that's what would be required to achieve the same outcome.

Seeing as I'm from the uk, have purchased the bike from Evans Cycles and they require them to be send off to mojo suspension for any warranty concerns, 100 miles from my home address, I'm not sure how I should approach it. I'd be willing to drive up there myself to be more certain of the work carried out and so that I don't have to wait around to find out what's wrong with them.

I don't know whether I can take up my concerns with mojo and they'll treat me the same as fox themselves as they seem to be the trusted/licenced source for warranty repairs and servicing, or whether I'll need to communicate directly with fox.

What do you think I should be doing in my specific situation? I feel like I'm at a bit of a middle ground in terms of who I should be contacting really!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mojo are the official Fox people in the UK, and will treat you well. Fox themselves won't have anything to do with you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I did at first go through retailer to no avail, at which point I directly emailed mojo (uk fox) and they arranged collection of old forks and swapped them for new ones at the same time. If it's warranty they collect FOC if not £20 collection and delivery I think when I last checked.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Of course Evans told you it's a fantastic fork for the money, they want to sell you the bike. They're hardly going to tell you it's a piece of crap. Plus most Evans staff seem to be roadies anyway so have no idea about mountain bikes.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Of course Evans told you it's a fantastic fork for the money, they want to sell you the bike. They're hardly going to tell you it's a piece of crap. Plus most Evans staff seem to be roadies anyway so have no idea about mountain bikes.

I went for an interview at my local Evans a couple of months ago, one of the lads there didn't even ride bikes, the other just rode BMX
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192

I went for an interview at my local Evans a couple of months ago, one of the lads there didn't even ride bikes, the other just rode BMX

It's getting more and more like Halfords at this rate
  • Have to agree about the previous comments on the Fox Fork. I had a 2015 Float 32 CTD. Never got on with it, felt rigid on small bumps constantly diving. Could never find a setup I was happy with and the threads on the lowers for the caliper stripped way too easy.

The other bike had RS Rebas and they were in a league of there own. Think I would be looking to sell them and get some Rebas.

I would contact MOJO direct if I was you. Or you could argue with Evans for a replacement. But I think it be best that MOJO deal with it. I have had no problems with them on warranty work.

I did look in to the FIT upgrade too but didn't bother as mine were just a EVO model with no Kashima coating. They didn't seem to break stiction easy so I couldn't justify upgrading the damper when they would still be flawed.

Sorry this is not what you want to hear if you are new to MTB'ing and just purchased a new bike and the forks are faulty from new. But it could save you some time, stress and frustration in the future.

Forgot to include, but if you have decided you are going to be keeping them, then some low friction seals with Fox Gold oil and FIT damper would be the way to go. But by the time you have paid for the upgrades. You could have sold the forks and put the money that was for upgrades and purchase a new fork.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Isn't a FIT damper around £300?
  • Have to agree about the previous comments on the Fox Fork. I had a 2015 Float 32 CTD. Never got on with it, felt rigid on small bumps constantly diving. Could never find a setup I was happy with and the threads on the lowers for the caliper stripped way too easy.

The other bike had RS Rebas and they were in a league of there own. Think I would be looking to sell them and get some Rebas.

I would contact MOJO direct if I was you. Or you could argue with Evans for a replacement. But I think it be best that MOJO deal with it. I have had no problems with them on warranty work.

I did look in to the FIT upgrade too but didn't bother as mine were just a EVO model with no Kashima coating. They didn't seem to break stiction easy so I couldn't justify upgrading the damper when they would still be flawed.

Sorry this is not what you want to hear if you are new to MTB'ing and just purchased a new bike and the forks are faulty from new. But it could save you some time, stress and frustration in the future.

Forgot to include, but if you have decided you are going to be keeping them, then some low friction seals with Fox Gold oil and FIT damper would be the way to go. But by the time you have paid for the upgrades. You could have sold the forks and put the money that was for upgrades and purchase a new fork.

I am really gutted about finding this out now, as you said not what I want to hear really but for my level of riding I have so far found no issue with the performance of the fork, it seems to provide me with all the support I need and I was very impressed with the performance compared to my previous entry level rockshox on my hard tail ridgeback.

I have however taken on board what you have all said about the float 32 evo's and I will eventually swap them for something more trusted in the future but for now, I will try and push for either an improvement on these forks with the uprated seals and possibly the damper upgrade and hope this pulls me through a couple of years riding.

Just to add, I haven't felt any problems with stiction so far with the fork, but as mentioned previously, I have barely used the bike since purchase. Maybe for me I wouldn't notice the concerns that the more experienced rider would as I've had next to no experience with other forks.

Long story short, if they weren't making this clicking sound I wouldn't of noticed anything wrong with them! So as long as I send them off and recieve them back with no dodgy sounds coming from them I'd genuinely be a happy customer. I think this is purely down to me not being fully clued up on what a good fork really is!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It's getting more and more like Halfords at this rate

The manager there knew his stuff and the guys in the workshop were sound. It is a branch that is in need of improvements. It's also very corporate and very rigid in it rules (no lending a chainwhip to a regular customer sort of rigid)
  • Isn't a FIT damper around £300?

The link I posted further up the thread was suggesting around $100-$200 so between £70-£140 which was quoted as a special offer for 2014-2015 CTD owners apparently. But who knows how the UK would fair for this upgrade. I'm planning on speaking to mojo tomorow to discuss my options.

I hope I don't end up disappointed!
  • I was in the same situation as you and found out through getting a bike on C2W. If I didn't have my previous bike I would have been none the wiser. Whilst I was getting the bike and seen it came with Fox forks I had high expectations with it being a premium brand. But having something to compare it to quickly burst the bubble.

It does all depend on your riding though, if you find that you have no problems then get a warranty repair and keep them. But when you start progressing you might start noticing flaws in the fork. If I didn't have something else to compare them with I would have been in the same situation as you, and I am no expert.

If you find them good for your riding, then keep them. but better can be had for the same price.

The stiction issues started for me after around 50 hours of use. If you pushed the forks you could feel them sticking even after service it was not smooth. On the Rebas if you pushed them, they seemed to glide.

This is only my opinion though. So don't feel bad and contact MOJO and see what they can do.

And use the bike more. I clocked up 10 hours within two days of having a new bike.

The link I posted further up the thread was suggesting around $100-$200 so between £70-£140 which was quoted as a special offer for 2014-2015 CTD owners apparently. But who knows how the UK would fair for this upgrade. I'm planning on speaking to mojo tomorow to discuss my options.

Last time I spoke with them about the FIT damper it was pricey even though it was within warranty. The americans have a better deal on this.
  • OLLYTURTON
    OLLYTURTON Posts: 22
    edited January 2016
    I was in the same situation as you and found out through getting a bike on C2W. If I didn't have my previous bike I would have been none the wiser. Whilst I was getting the bike and seen it came with Fox forks I had high expectations with it being a premium brand. But having something to compare it to quickly burst the bubble.

It does all depend on your riding though, if you find that you have no problems then get a warranty repair and keep them. But when you start progressing you might start noticing flaws in the fork. If I didn't have something else to compare them with I would have been in the same situation as you, and I am no expert.

If you find them good for your riding, then keep them. but better can be had for the same price.

The stiction issues started for me after around 50 hours of use. If you pushed the forks you could feel them sticking even after service it was not smooth. On the Rebas if you pushed them, they seemed to glide.

This is only my opinion though. So don't feel bad and contact MOJO and see what they can do.

And use the bike more. I clocked up 10 hours within two days of having a new bike.

I think your words really do support my thoughts behind this issue, I have nothing else to compare them to and I've been so impressed by the overall feel of the bike and the way it rides. As you said if I feel good about the forks for my riding level I should be happy, which I really am! I'm hoping that problems do not escalate to the point where I really do start to notice something wrong with them.

Like you said I need to ride the bike a lot more, I've been struggling recently as I can't store the bike at my own home due to security issues so it's only available to me during the weekends, hopefully we'll overcome our security concerns soon so I can make the bike more accessible to me during the week, especially in time for summer when the sun is out a bit more as I'm yet to invest I some decent lights too.

I think I'll push on with these for the time being, hopefully mojo will be able to help make them better than they are now, and if I can improve them even slightly I'll be a happy man.

As I've mentioned, I really have taken on board everyone's comments so I'd like to make a collective thank you to each and every one of you. Even if things have been mentioned which arnt exactly what I'd wish to hear this early on, they're all useful, honest comments which will help me in the long run!

Last time I spoke with them about the FIT damper it was pricey even though it was within warranty. The americans have a better deal on this.

In that case it looks like I'll be sending them off to possibly recieve them in the same condition they're in now. It was a educated purchase I felt, having not delved too deep into the individual components of the mondraker foxy before purchase. I trusted the fox brand maybe a little too much, and I felt id be getting a reasonable level of complete set-up, but it seems I overlooked branding too much.

Maybe I should be buying Calvin Klein socks and expecting to run faster, I'm a silly bugger it seems, by not exploring the most demanding components more before I commit to the purchase. As I mentioned though, fox have been a big part of the leading suspension brand for many years, I had faith in them and really, they've let me and many others down in this respect. Even if they are the entry level forks, they should be better than this!

In that case it looks like I'll be sending them off to possibly recieve them in the same condition they're in now. It was a educated purchase I felt, having not delved too deep into the individual components of the mondraker foxy before purchase. I trusted the fox brand maybe a little too much, and I felt id be getting a reasonable level of complete set-up, but it seems I overlooked branding too much.

Maybe I should be buying Calvin Klein socks and expecting to run faster, I'm a silly bugger it seems, by not exploring the most demanding components more before I commit to the purchase. As I mentioned though, fox have been a big part of the leading suspension brand for many years, I had faith in them and really, they've let me and many others down in this respect. Even if they are the entry level forks, they should be better than this!

Don't get too carried away. You did say you were happy with them despite the noise :).

Like I said contact MOJO and see what they say. I was only disappointed as I could compare them to something else on the same trails immediately. If I was new at MTB'ing (which I still am) I would have been none the wiser.
  • My tuppence worth.

I must not be fast enough to see all the flaws in this fork that other seem to see.
    I`m fairly new to MTB and to be honest . I love the fork, I find it capable and smooth even at Glentress as fast as I can manage.

There seems to be a lot of ill feeling towards this fork, but I`ve not experienced it at all.

If you are happy with the fork, keep it .
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • My tuppence worth.

I must not be fast enough to see all the flaws in this fork that other seem to see.
    I`m fairly new to MTB and to be honest . I love the fork, I find it capable and smooth even at Glentress as fast as I can manage.

There seems to be a lot of ill feeling towards this fork, but I`ve not experienced it at all.

If you are happy with the fork, keep it .

This is the same as I feel for the time being mate, I think as you say maybe we're not pushing the fork as hard as some do, or maybe its simply down to people having tried more forks than we have opening their eyes to better forks. Did you get this fork standard on a complete bike? if so what bike just to see which year the forks are and to help compare the spec/model as I've been lead to believe different years have different dampers and so on.

Thanks, that's the plan mate! did you watch the video I posted? Does your fork make any of these sounds/similar sounds at all which you may not have picked up on? would be good to know if anyone is experiencing the same/similar to me. I've been lead to believe it could be an issue with the air can/rebound damper according to Mojo but they obviously don't know for sure unless they strip it down.

What do you think?
  • Hi. I got the float 32 ctd on my cannondale trigger 4 about 4 months back. I love it. Super smooth and easy to setup.
    I've never felt so confident.
    Mine doesn't make any noise.
    Send it back to evans and get a repair or replacement free of charge under the sales of goods act.
    Your contact is with them not fox or mojo.
    The goods they sold you must be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable amount of time. About 5 years.
    They should do it without any problem just by politely mentioning your issue and the sales of goods act.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Consumer Rights Act has replaced SoGA....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mine came on a 2014 Trek Fuel and no, I don`t hear any of the noises from mine.

Any fork can go faulty. I would concentrate on getting the fork set up correctly and working, then just enjoy it.

If you find yourself finding it`s limits, that just means you are getting better at riding , no ? At which point an upgrade would make sense.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • It did recently change to the consumer rights act but your rights under the sales of goods act are still applicable with the exception of some defined terms.
    If the contact started before October 1st 2015 then he is protected under the old regulations.
  • Hi. I got the float 32 ctd on my cannondale trigger 4 about 4 months back. I love it. Super smooth and easy to setup.
    Send it back to evans and get a repair or replacement free of charge under the sales of goods act.
    The goods they sold you must be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable amount of time. About 5 years.
    They should do it without any problem just by politely mentioning your issue and the sales of goods act.

I've organised a 100 mile trip to mojo tomorow to get the brand new 2016 FIT4 damper fitted for a CRACKING deal. So happy I've managed to sort something out as if I'd of gone through Evans I wouldn't be just got the same damper fitted and possibly had the same issues in the future!
    Hi. I got the float 32 ctd on my cannondale trigger 4 about 4 months back. I love it. Super smooth and easy to setup.

I get exactly where you're coming from mate, but in the end, I've opted to take the bike up to mojo myself. It's a bit of a treck, but I'm able to upgrade from the standard to the performance model this way, and I've even been given the option to upgrade to the factory damper for a 'no brainer' extra cost! They're also going to have a good look at the reason for the clicking noises and resolve that too. They'll also give me a new lace of gold oil too while they're at it! Seems like a good reason to head up there myself, seems very much worth it!
  • It did recently change to the consumer rights act but your rights under the sales of goods act are still applicable with the exception of some defined terms.
    If the contact started before October 1st 2015 then he is protected under the old regulations.

Yeah I bought the bike in September mate but I've realised under the warranty terms with Evans, they have every right to just replace the damper with the standard one which has had issues for loads of people on a different forum. I've read 13 pages of people considering the damper change and for the deal I'm able to get it's definitely worth doing to improve the fork to almost 'factory' standard, with the 2016 FIT4 damper and gold oil. Looking forward to seeing the results!

I'll update everyone after I've been in tomorow. Kudos to Mojo so far for their customer service!
  • That's brilliant. Good to know we get looked after if we have problems