Indoor training - London (SW)

LWLondon
LWLondon Posts: 55
Hi all

I'm looking for somewhere i can train over the winter, on a turbo or similar, in SW London, that won't break the bank. I've seen plenty of generic "spin" classes, but I wasn't sure if being on a different shaped bike would be useful or not. There are one or two classes with actual bikes on turbos, but seem expensive, are they useful?

Annoyingly, I've seen "sufferfest" classes at David Lloyd gyms, which looks ideal, but these gyms are a bit far out for me to get too regularly!

Any help? Unfortunately no room at home for a turbo (and flatmate/downstairs) would hate the noise. I'm very much a "group" exercise person as well, so unsure if individual turbo sessions would be sufficient motivation.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi all

I'm looking for somewhere i can train over the winter, on a turbo or similar, in SW London, that won't break the bank. I've seen plenty of generic "spin" classes, but I wasn't sure if being on a different shaped bike would be useful or not. There are one or two classes with actual bikes on turbos, but seem expensive, are they useful?

Annoyingly, I've seen "sufferfest" classes at David Lloyd gyms, which looks ideal, but these gyms are a bit far out for me to get too regularly!

Any help? Unfortunately no room at home for a turbo (and flatmate/downstairs) would hate the noise. I'm very much a "group" exercise person as well, so unsure if individual turbo sessions would be sufficient motivation.

Thanks!

Tacx Neo is as quiet as it gets, you only hear your drivetrain and that's it. Doesn't help your space issue.

Spin bikes can be useful for cardio fitness but the position is all wrong. My wife bought an exercise bike last year and while it's actually quite good and super quiet the fact that the handlebars are about a foot above the saddle and can't be changed means it the position is all wrong.
  • Spin classes are actually pretty great. Granted your position may not be the same but its still a strenuous workout.

There's also Cadence down in Crystal Palace that run Wattbike sessions, I've not been to one, but wattbikes are excellent for replicating your bike setup. http://www.cadenceperformance.com/wattbike/
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Also Paul Mill (Elite cycling) does turbo sessions at Crystal Palace I think, certainly there are sessions he does for my club.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Theres a spinning club in Putney. SOrry I can't remember the name.

If you want to go outside, Pearson and London Dynamo run chaingangs (30 and 40?) miles respectively. Not certain on LD length.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Decent spin classes are worth searching out. Ok the position might not be exactly the same but all decent spin bikes are very adjustable

It's a great cardiovascular workout.
  • Decent spin classes are worth searching out. Ok the position might not be exactly the same but all decent spin bikes are very adjustable

It's a great cardiovascular workout.

I guess it's just finding a decent one! I have seen one in Putney I'm going to look at and try.

Thanks for the feedback guys, Crystal Palace is a bit far for me to be able to get regularly, although I may see about going down occasionaly! Heard good things about using a Wattbike.

Chaingang might be a bit much for me yet, but you never know in the future!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Where abouts, a bit more specifically?

There are so many large clubs in SW that will have rides accommodating all abilities and formats.
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    As regards position in spin classes, I've been lucky enough to be able adjust seat and saddle height, even if the people leading the class think you are a bit odd. You may also get comments made about pools of sweat.

The main problem I've found is they tend to do all their hard intervals standing. Even long grinding ones.

A smaller thing is that the bikes have mini cranks. I haven't measured, but visually they look about 165mm. In practice I haven't found that to be a problem.
  • Where abouts, a bit more specifically?

There are so many large clubs in SW that will have rides accommodating all abilities and formats.

Based in Wandsworth, work in Baker St.

3 main clubs I've looked at are
    twickenham CC (need to get a tiny bit fitter before I do their newbie ride)
    London Dynamos (may be able to make their newbie ride at start of jan)
    Kingston Wheelers (may be able to make their newbie ride at start of jan)

If they do weeknight turbo sessions then perfect, otherwise I'm still looking for weeknight spin/turbo classes.

This is obviously for the winter, all of the above seem to do weeknight evening rides in the summer.

That's a fair point to note EBE about the standing up, that's not ideal to get used to!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    We (KW) have rides going all year, they are not official but the forum is a busy place. At a quick glance there is a weekly social paced ride around Richmond Park and weekly chain gain for the racers.

No turbo sessions though, everyone seems to be doing these socially via Zwift!