Cycling Weekly/CycleSport 100 best riders

Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited November 2015 in Pro race
A subjective list from these publications but interesting nevertheless. Valverde no longer in the top 10 and Thomas well placed in 7th.

any thoughts?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/100-best-riders-right-now-191982?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I'd still have Valverde in the top 10 - a podium in the Tour and a couple of classics, thats a much better year than a few who are ranked higher. Degenkolb should be up higher too

Strange that Vos makes the list - she is amongst the greatest ever but she barely raced at all in 2015 due to injury!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,027
    Dumolin?

Ahead of Kristoff, Contador, Degenkolb????

Way overrated.

Take a look at his Vuelta 6th overall.

Who did he actually beat??
  • Dumolin?

Way overrated.

agreed. Also the Yates brothers (although exciting talent unfolding) punch a bit above their weight in this poll in my opinion.
    @JaunePeril

• Dumolin?

Way overrated.

agreed. Also the Yates brothers (although exciting talent unfolding) punch a bit above their weight in this poll in my opinion.

Agree with you and Rick. Dumoulin - I'm a fan, but above the winners of the Giro and the MSR-P-R double? Come on...

And I think there's some poll-doping going on with the Yates x 2 in Croydon Towers
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Nibali is much too low. And Quintana and Contador should be ahead of Aru.

Pauline PF is also overrated - I think she only won one road race in 2015 (a Giro Donne stage)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Nibali is much too low. And Quintana and Contador should be ahead of Aru.

Pauline PF is also overrated - I think she only won one road race in 2015 (a Giro Donne stage)

Absolutely. Nibs completely hamstrung here. He's certainly had a bad year by his standards but still better than some above him
    @JaunePeril

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

But she's purdy...

G above Contador is a joke. GVA way too low.

Was this an X Factor-type vote?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I love how someone called Spengler is in the top 100 of anything.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • The new Mens World TT Champ at no 85 is my fav

Tho this is also amusing:

78 Joe Dombrowski

24, USA, Cannondale-Garmin
    Baby-faced climber who won the 2012 Baby Giro. After getting little opportunity at Sky, he’s shown more GC promise at Cannondale — including overall victory in the Tour of Utah.

Yeah, well if he'd been able to swing a leg over a bike for more than 4 weeks during the entire 2014 season, it might have helped his chances
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345

She rode the MTB world cup though ahead of the road - it doesnt specify road does it?

Edit - it appears to be, so I have to (very grudgingly) agree with you
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    I love how someone called Spengler is in the top 100 of anything.
    Are you searching the internet for a list of the top 100 Ghostbusters?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Eiking is placed above Benoot, which is very Odd.

Fronk is still in there despite a dreadful few years.

GVA way too low.

Agree with the above on Aru.

Tekle? Rowe? Spengler...Haig is a neo FFS...Mads Pederson...Wiggo...Boonen - surely if you are going to talk about past wins, Kittel has to be above 84th.

Pile of pup.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cycling Weekly and Cycle Sport have come up with who we believe are the best 100 riders in the world right now.

...yep, based on a load of s**t by the looks of it. Mind you, we're clicking on the link so they're getting a bit of traffic bless 'em.
  • That's a shambles of a list - I can imagine FrenchFighter having to restrain his Submit finger
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Cycling Weekly and Cycle Sport have come up with who we believe are the best 100 riders in the world right now.
    ...yep, based on a load of s**t by the looks of it. Mind you, we're clicking on the link so they're getting a bit of traffic bless 'em.
    I think you found why it is so controversial a rubbish list.
    People can't believe such an un-educated list of top riders, that people will click to try to fathom how they made it so awful.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I'm gonna take some convincing that in a list of "right now" Taylor Phinney is better than Tony Martin, Ian Stannard, Greg van Avermaert etc etc.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Actually, far more concerning is that CW has a "dating" section...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Actually, far more concerning is that CW has a "dating" section...

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    Oi! Not all of us are fighting off the lady goats!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    What a crock… it’s a populist vote amongst CW’s editorial team based on their ramblings after a couple of vodka and cokes.

Its meaningless.
  • Oi! Not all of us are fighting off the lady goats!

There's a reason regional CTT officials and audax riders are single...

@gietvangent