Ridgeback Honey vs Saracen Poppy vs other 14inch?

carvedmarble
carvedmarble Posts: 61
edited October 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,

My 4yr old needs to graduate from her 12inch Cinderella bike and have been looking at the Saracen Poppy and Ridgeback honey (both 14in) but can't decide which is the better bike and need a bit of help?

I've got a budget of about £150, she's a smallish 4yr old so haven't looked at 16in bikes. Would prefer proper brakes rather than coaster ones.

Can anyone help, which is the better bike or can you recommend any I could have missed (would love an islabike but can't afford it).

Thanks

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi,

My 4yr old needs to graduate from her 12inch Cinderella bike and have been looking at the Saracen Poppy and Ridgeback honey (both 14in) but can't decide which is the better bike and need a bit of help?

I've got a budget of about £150, she's a smallish 4yr old so haven't looked at 16in bikes. Would prefer proper brakes rather than coaster ones.

Can anyone help, which is the better bike or can you recommend any I could have missed (would love an islabike but can't afford it).

Thanks

They are both good manufactures, I doubt there will be any meaning full difference in the bikes. The problem is with kids bike in general, that they are built down to a price, and have to have an enormous range of adjustment, which means they end up disproportionately heavy and if you buy the right size only fits them correctly for about 3 months out of say a two year ownership before the seat height to pedal and seat height to floor goes astray. Or you buy too big and watch them struggle for 12 months, before you get a few months correct and then its too small

If you need to chose between them, then weight is a good a criteria as any. Take a luggage scale with you and hoist them up by the seat rails and buy the lightest