Building a bike from scratch :/

Mattrowling
Mattrowling Posts: 12
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys.

There have probably been a million posts in this section about people building their own bikes, and I'm afraid I'm another one. I've just bought a 2015 Orange Clockwork 120 frame and hoping to build a half decent all round bike around that. Looking around the sites there are some good deals on components but for what I'm going to be riding I don't know if they are right for me? Im looking at Mavic Crossone wheels (650b), Shimano slx 675 brakes, Shimano xt 875 group set, rockshox 2016 30 gold forks but unsure about what headset and stem I would need. I'm new to the world of mtb in the Cambridge area and building a bike to occupy me in the evenings, so any help or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Best to post up in the workshop section for each query, also check parktool.com as it has very helpful how to sections for each task.

I've built all my recent bikes from scratch, and all the families (13 builds in total I think it is now), it is very satisfying. Personally I usually source good condition nearly new parts off ebay and classifieds as it reduces the cost (or improves the quality) a lot. The others are good choices but I wouldn't use Mavic wheels, they are proprietary parts and expensive for what they are and costly when bits go wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.