Numbness!

royalcbr
royalcbr Posts: 15
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
I completed my first Sportive last weekend, and the longest distance I have ever done on my bike - it was great but I did get a numbness in my groin area at several points in the ride.

The numbness did disappear when I got off the bike and I do re-position myself from time to time whilst riding (shifting on the saddle, standing up etc), so I was wondering is there any way to combat this?

I do have some padded bib shorts, but my bike is Alloy - I did think about lowing the tyre pressure? Or would a carbon seat post be of help?

Cheers.

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I would look firstly at your saddle. A change in height, angle or the saddle itself.
  • Thanks GrenW - I think the height is right as my leg extension is as it should be, but I will check the angle as well.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Check fore and aft as well - a saddle that is too far back may cause you to put pressure where you don't want pressure and cause the numbness. (equally a saddle too far forwards may do the same, but too far back is more commonly the problem!).
  • I experienced the same when pushing myself harder than usual on sportives. Experience has taught me to perch my sit bones on the supportive part of the saddle (the wide bit at the back rather than the narrow bit at the front). Adopt a curved posture not a "v" shape. It may feel a bit odd at first but it will utilise larger muscle groups.