Training Advice for Newbie

shooter999
shooter999 Posts: 143
edited September 2015 in Training, fitness and health
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for some general training advice. For the last year or so I've been using an exercise bike to maintain some level of fitness (300 miles a month), however it has become apparent that this isn't the best way to train.

For the last couple of months I've been going out on the road with some friends, doing a 30 mile ride in the week and a 50-60 mile ride on the weekend. I've found this ok, but last week we did an 80 mile ride and I was knackered at the end of it, I could hardly get up the hill to my house :(

I've just bought a turbo trainer (my exercise bike is knackered) and am hoping to do some specific training to meet my goals which are:

1. I'm doing a 100m sportive next spring and would like to be able to do this comfortably (easily would be better, but I doubt thats achievable).

2. To be able to climb hills better. I'm currently one of the 1st to the top of the hills in our gang, but I'm constantly out of the saddle, whilst others tend to be seated?

Can you provide some training advice on being able to achieve my objectives?

I'll be able to do an hour session on the turbo trainer on a Tuesday and Thursday and hopefully out on the road on a Sunday with the gang. I've got a cadence and HRM kit.

Apologies for the long post.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just ride your bike more often - don't over-think it.
  • Just ride your bike more often - don't over-think it.

I was hoping for some guidance / advice from people who know what they're talking about.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

I was hoping for some guidance / advice from people who know what they're talking about.

Whilst you might not realise it yet, the above advice is sound.

I think that Paul Rozelle's training advice for a century is about the best plan I have heard as it really does encapsulate everything you need to consider before a 100 miler:

If you are in reasonable shape and riding a bike that fits you and is in good order, then you will most likely complete your first century, and have fun doing it, if in the two months before your century you have a total ride volume of 400 miles and successfully complete a "long ride" of 65 miles over similar terrain in the same weather that you'll be riding your first century in.

But really, do not over think it. Just ride.

(I like to think I know what I am talking about when it comes to riding the odd century or two)
  • Just ride your bike more often - don't over-think it.

Whilst you might not realise it yet, the above advice is sound.

I think that Paul Rozelle's training advice for a century is about the best plan I have heard as it really does encapsulate everything you need to consider before a 100 miler:

If you are in reasonable shape and riding a bike that fits you and is in good order, then you will most likely complete your first century, and have fun doing it, if in the two months before your century you have a total ride volume of 400 miles and successfully complete a "long ride" of 65 miles over similar terrain in the same weather that you'll be riding your first century in.

But really, do not over think it. Just ride.

(I like to think I know what I am talking about when it comes to riding the odd century or two)

Thanks for the reply. I think what I was after may have got lost in my long winded post!

I'm after specific advice on how to get the best out of my turbo trainer in 1hr sessions twice a week (having never used one before) with the aim of achieving my objectives.
  • I'm after specific advice on how to get the best out of my turbo trainer in 1hr sessions twice a week (having never used one before) with the aim of achieving my objectives.

Having been a complete newbie three years ago myself, having done the Ride London 100 in 2013 and 2014, and having for various reasons not done any rides longer than about an hour and a half (though quite a lot of them) in the last six months, I can tell you, two one-hour sessions a week on a turbo will not help much.

To prepare for long rides, you need to ride long rides.

When I started, 46 miles to Box Hill and back nearly killed me - I slept most of the afternoon after I did that the first time.

By increasing the mileage a bit at a time, it got easier, and then by the time I'd done an 85 mile training route a couple of times, 50 miles felt like a quick lap round the block.

100 miles was easy when the time came.

It sure as heck wouldn't be now - I've only been doing short rides for quite a while, and even 30 miles would take it out of me now - I'd need to build up again.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

That's exactly what it was. Whether you like it or not. You are riding a twice a week and knocking out less than 100 miles in doing so. You can achieve all of what you are asking for by just riding further, more regularly.

Turbo will not give you much help with endurance, and endurance is what you need.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I think it's quite clear what you are after, and the responses you have had have also been quite clear. As a newbie, you need to ride your bike more. There are no real shortcuts. Forget intervals and the rest until you have built up a good few thousand miles in your legs.

For your 2 turbo sessions a week, 1) get a big fan and 2) ride sweetspot (fast tempo, straddling zones 3 and 4). This will promote both your endurance and your threshold. On two hours you can't expect miracles though. To make progress you really need to ride more often than three times a week. Consistency is more important than what you do in the sessions at your stage.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You really do need to just get out and ride more. If you really are limited to two 1hr turbo sessions in the week and one weekend ride, you'll manage the 100 but won't find it easy.
    If you are strictly tied to the 2x1hr turbo sessions. Ride for the hour at a pace where you are breathing hard but still able to hold a conversation.
    I'd recommend the Time Crunched Training Plan by Carmichael but it looks like you can't squeeze that in tbh.
    However
    If you are serious about your goal then you will make time and get the Time Crunched Book.
    Whether that's getting on the turbo at 5am for a session or 10 at night, you need to squeeze it in.

But from where you are, there's no substitute for getting out and just riding your bike. It's not just the training aspect, it's the comfort and handling aspect too.

The bit about the climbing- it doesn't matter how you get up the hill, do whatever's comfortable for you.

Good luck!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I'm after specific advice on how to get the best out of my turbo trainer in 1hr sessions twice a week (having never used one before) with the aim of achieving my objectives.

It's always better to ride outside. That being said, I'm planning exactly the same 2 x 1hr sessions on the turbo and a ride outside on the weekend.

Take a look at Trainer Road and the thread in this forum, sounds like exactly what you need. But even then 2 x 1 hour sessions will not train you for a century ride - you need to be putting the hours in outside.

Having said that, I did a century ride where I'd only been riding at the weekends, nothing during the week and I managed it 'comfortably'.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The thing with riding a 100 is that it's not like running a marathon. I think a lot of people can manage it after a shortish time on the bike.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The thing with riding a 100 is that it's not like running a marathon. I think a lot of people can manage it after a shortish time on the bike.

And there's the dirty secret of riding a long way on a bike. It's not actually that difficult!

If you are not trying to do it fast, riding a long way at a moderate pace is not ever so difficult.

Coming from my background of riding regular double centuries and more, the people I see fail is rarely down to fitness. The head will give out long before the body.

If you don't have good mental fortitude, then everything else is moot.

Comfort and nutrition are essential things in riding a bike a long way - get them sorted first and foremost.

And I totally agree with the idea that most people with reasonable fitness can do a century (as per Paul Rozelle's quote I posted above).

Doing a century in a quick time (let's say sub 5 hours for the sake of argument), well, that takes a lot more work and specific training (I suspect - I don't think I have ever knowingly ridden a 5 hour century! Ridden nearly 4 6 hour centuries in succession though).

But if you're goal is to get round - get comfy, learn what your body likes to eat and drink and then just ride your bike and don't worry about sweetspot, tempo, intervals etc.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I'm after specific advice on how to get the best out of my turbo trainer in 1hr sessions twice a week (having never used one before) with the aim of achieving my objectives.

It's always better to ride outside. That being said, I'm planning exactly the same 2 x 1hr sessions on the turbo and a ride outside on the weekend.

Take a look at Trainer Road and the thread in this forum, sounds like exactly what you need. But even then 2 x 1 hour sessions will not train you for a century ride - you need to be putting the hours in outside.

Having said that, I did a century ride where I'd only been riding at the weekends, nothing during the week and I managed it 'comfortably'.

Thats not true. I'd argue that if you can only commit to 2 one hour sessions you are better off on the turbo.
    When im on the turbo I am bang on the money in the zone I need to ride in, no freewheeling, no traffic, no stopping at lights, no getting carried away and riding harder/easier than planned. Last nights 180 mins at 8pm watching Game Of Thrones sitting at 60% FTP would never of been possible on the road.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674

Thats not true. I'd argue that if you can only commit to 2 one hour sessions you are better off on the turbo.
    When im on the turbo I am bang on the money in the zone I need to ride in, no freewheeling, no traffic, no stopping at lights, no getting carried away and riding harder/easier than planned. Last nights 180 mins at 8pm watching Game Of Thrones sitting at 60% FTP would never of been possible on the road.

Well, not the watching TV bit...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As previous posters :-

Bike setup and maintenance
    Eat healthily and keep hydrated
    Get out and ride practicing hills etc. in various gears, standing / seated to see what works
    Rest days and good nights sleep really help fitness.
    Riding a turbo helps but is very different to being on the road.