Thinking of going to 10speed only

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently running Sram S1000 2X10 GXP, 170mm, 36tX22t Cassette: SRAM PG-1030, 11/36, 10-speed,

Thinking of junking the front derailleur and getting a superstar single chain ring up front.

what size ring would you recommend? I do sometimes go onto granny ring but todays ride (until I ripped off my rear shifter) I stuck to the big ring and managed it ok.

If I go to 34t upfront would I need to shorten my chain by a couple of links?

thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• I run 34t on my 26" wheel hardtail. It's fine for most English trail centres and fast enough for local riding
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dependent on so many factors. I ran 36t and found it fine. Others run 32, or even 30.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    34T or 36T should be fine for you if you hardly ever use the 22T at the front. The narrow/wide rings from Superstar are reasonably cheap and come in a huge range of colours
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Get a couple of rings so that you can change them. Once you are on a single up front this is very easy. Think about chain retention which could be clutch rear mech or chain device. Remember that added components will only increase your speed if they are red.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 34 v a 36 is only one tooth (the chain only wraps round half the 'ring) so you may or may not have to take out one pair of links.

I ride with a 32T and have been quite happy (11-34 9sp cassette and 26" wheels) and it copes with everything I've tried though occasionally a climb can be hard work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm on 34 but I think I'm going to go down to 32. Just need that extra little bit to make everything pedalable. I do, though, have the legs of a bed ridden girl.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I'm going to try and hit Dalby at the weekend and leave it on the big ring.
    Its a weird getting used to do it though as all my life biking ive tried my hardest to be never cross chaining and now every one is.
    Ill probably die on my arse at weekend and will end up with a 32.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I run a 34 up front with an 11-36 at the back. If I was forced to change the chainring I'd go to a 36 rather than a 32. Personally, if I can't get up a hill on a 34f 36r I'd rather walk!
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    BigAl wrote:
    Personally, if I can't get up a hill on a 34f 36r I'd rather walk!

agree, some times long climbs feel endless even on the granny, while peddaling fast to keep pace so you won't fall on your side. getting stronger is the ideal but again, not easy.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget a 29er will need a 10% smaller chainring for the same gearing.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.