Maintenance manuals.

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi folks,
Keen to start tackling my own maintenance rather than rely on my LBS.
Going to start with the basics as they occur before getting my 'best bike' next spring.So am planning on using my current winter bike to use as a practise piece till i have confidence and experience to tackle stuff on the new one.
Seen some good youtube vids but would appreciate any rcommendations as to books /manuals etc.

Phil.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hi folks,
    Keen to start tackling my own maintenance rather than rely on my LBS.
    Going to start with the basics as they occur before getting my 'best bike' next spring.So am planning on using my current winter bike to use as a practise piece till i have confidence and experience to tackle stuff on the new one.
    Seen some good youtube vids but would appreciate any rcommendations as to books /manuals etc.

Phil.

Zinn and the art or the Park Tools big blue book are all you need.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • +1 for park tools book
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd say all you need are the Youtube videos. I have a repair manual but it is nowhere near as good as watching a video of someone doing the exact task you want to do yourself. And if you want something written down, it's usually somewhere on the net as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    links in my sig. and the user manuals from the makers websites.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had various books over the years but things keep changing and they go out of date.

Now I have the internet. Park Tool / Sheldon Brown / Shimano tech docs / Youtube are all you need.

And of course the excellent help / banter / cheap spare parts /ritual humiliation to be had on here :D