New lighter hard tail or FS

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited August 2015 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a road bike for exactly that, however also have a Boardman 650b which i love however looking to use that more for going back and forth from work.

So was looking at possibly getting a light Hardtail or a FS so it can stay in the back of my van and if i fancy a fun while out with my dogs i can , mostly forestry tracks and a little road.

Any suggestions , looking at tops of £1200,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If by forestry tracks you mean fire roads/ gravel paths you don't need to spend that and would be much better off on a hardtail.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    If by forestry tracks you mean fire roads/ gravel paths you don't need to spend that and would be much better off on a hardtail.
    More or less yes, very uneven loads of pot holes course gravel and a lot of water holes 3 ft deep or so is the usual.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Three foot deep potholes? Fall in one of them and you're going to need to call out cave rescue.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would check second hand bikes and get an xc hardtail. They are light fast and stiff, good for fire roads and similar trails. Plenty available, just one example of many, specialized carves / craves can be bought at less than half retail price second hand. The 2013 models onwards have lighter frames and wheels plus decent air forks.

It just depends what you prefer.