Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100

1235»

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Does any know where the timing point were on the route?
    Start                    0:00:00   0.0 mph
    Burlington Road          0:46:20   21.0 mph
    Hampton Court Road       1:12:31   21.7 mph
    Newlands Corner          2:13:04   20.8 mph
    Leith Hill Summit        2:37:48   19.4 mph
    The Cresent (B2122)      3:37:38   19.0 mph
    Kingstron Market Place   4:06:16   21.4 mph
    The Mall                 4:46:19   23.4 mph

The 55 mile mark at Leith Hill Summit doesn't make sense as I was stuck for 1hr+ at bottom of Hill. Plus my GPS said 56.1 when we stopped.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I thought I would put the hammer down a little more than 2 years ago, but I regret that decision as my legs were hurting by Newlands. Looking at my Strava times, I certainly went faster in that first half than before, and slowed in the second half. I also found there were far fewer riders in the second and a horrid cross/head wind. Hardly spent any time in a pack, mostly on my own.

Riding down the Mall, looking at my Garmin, thought I had beaten my previous time of 4:59:15. When I got home, checked the official time. 4:59:16...1 second slower!!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Does any know where the timing point were on the route?
    Start                    0:00:00   0.0 mph
    Burlington Road          0:46:20   21.0 mph
    Hampton Court Road       1:12:31   21.7 mph
    Newlands Corner          2:13:04   20.8 mph
    Leith Hill Summit        2:37:48   19.4 mph
    The Cresent (B2122)      3:37:38   19.0 mph
    Kingstron Market Place   4:06:16   21.4 mph
    The Mall                 4:46:19   23.4 mph

The 55 mile mark at Leith Hill Summit doesn't make sense as I was stuck for 1hr+ at bottom of Hill. Plus my GPS said 56.1 when we stopped.

Am just going by the titles on the RideLondon timing app.

Though if I look at the time taken and match it to Strava then it looks like it's more likely it's at the foot of Leith rather than the top
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    For those that might be inclined to donate, here is the Virgin Money giving page for Stephen Green who was the cyclist that died on Leith Hill on Sunday. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=StepGreen&d-49489-p=4
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    I thought I would put the hammer down a little more than 2 years ago, but I regret that decision as my legs were hurting by Newlands. Looking at my Strava times, I certainly went faster in that first half than before, and slowed in the second half. I also found there were far fewer riders in the second and a horrid cross/head wind. Hardly spent any time in a pack, mostly on my own.

Riding down the Mall, looking at my Garmin, thought I had beaten my previous time of 4:59:15. When I got home, checked the official time. 4:59:16...1 second slower!!!

Doh!
    --
    Chris

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I did it in 7:03 - took it easy as a friend was doing her first century and I'm now in the Alps dragging my backside up hills. Friend also got a puncture at the bottom of Box Hill so if you rode past two women frantically pumping up a tyre, that was us! As for this week, Bonnette, Var and Izoard done so far, with Lautaret, Galibier, Croix de Fer and AdH to come. Quite pleased as the brochure promised a triple compact and I ended up with two chain rings, but I'm coping, apart from a spectacular vomit displaying bonk up the Izoard today :roll:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    As ugo said its an exercise in holding a wheel, I'd quite like to have a go but apparently they don't let 1st cats in and I never knew that so always put that down on my sheet when filling it out. So makes sense that I've never got a ride!

I'd be very surprised if many of the fastest riders here could do over 20mph avg on their own for that route, I'm sure a few could, but nowhere near what they managed here, which is fairly obvious I suppose to those who race, but for those less familiar with group riding etc the times can seem impressive from the outside.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    An exercise in holding your wheel is an exercise in itself!
  • okgo
    An exercise in holding your wheel is an exercise in itself!

Have you keep you honest!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • dhope
    As ugo said its an exercise in holding a wheel, I'd quite like to have a go but apparently they don't let 1st cats in and I never knew that so always put that down on my sheet when filling it out. So makes sense that I've never got a ride!

I'd be very surprised if many of the fastest riders here could do over 20mph avg on their own for that route, I'm sure a few could, but nowhere near what they managed here, which is fairly obvious I suppose to those who race, but for those less familiar with group riding etc the times can seem impressive from the outside.
    Indeed. Zero chance I could average 21mph for 100 miles normally. As it was, it was a fairly comfortable ride.
    Flat course and closed roads means it's a long but fairly easy chaingang. Even when you're not sitting on someone's wheel there are enough people around that any headwind is massively broken up.
    Still, any delusions of being fast put aside, it's a good day out.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Club entry, you have much better odds of getting on that way.

I'd be up for a Ride London 100 TT on closed roads; sub 5 hour shouldn't be that bad.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11780686/RideLondon-review-are-brutish-riders-on-expensive-bikes-spoiling-cycling-in-Britain.html

So which one of you lot shouted at the chopper setting off way earlier than his abilities and trying to Barguil you into a telegraph pole that prompted him to write this pretty weak and inconsistent whinge? Littering with gels is probably the only point he's got. Pushing yourself to the limits of your abilities is fine if you're wearing a charity jersey but not if you've got an expensive bike?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    having not been in the 'elite' start i actually agree with him. from 7am onwards some of the standard of riding i saw was terrible. and not from the guys on hybrids/mtbs/cheaper road bikes but from the MAMAILS/All the gear types.
  • okgo

Indeed. Zero chance I could average 21mph for 100 miles normally. As it was, it was a fairly comfortable ride.
    Flat course and closed roads means it's a long but fairly easy chaingang. Even when you're not sitting on someone's wheel there are enough people around that any headwind is massively broken up.

Just re-read my message, I didn't mean on this forum specifically, I think generally, there were some good riders of course, but I think many got swept along to times well above their station.
  • dhope

Just re-read my message, I didn't mean on this forum specifically, I think generally, there were some good riders of course, but I think many got swept along to times well above their station.
    Yep, I was just agreeing. As a faster than most but certainly nowhere near fastest rider then I've had a few "Wow, rapid!" comments when I said I was around in 4.45. To which the response has been Thanks, but you get a few free mph so don't read too much into it.
    Happy to concede I was swept (and helped sweep) along and it's easy to read too much into a headline time.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I think the other factor for speed is that the roads were so good, particularly the dual carraigeways at the start. I found I was riding over 20-25 mph with little effort until I was out of London even though I wasn't on anyone's wheel. I typically ride around the 15 - 20 mph ave. on hampshire/surrey roads. On the final few miles I was getting tired on Millbank; feeling I had little left, then noticed I was doing 17-20mph despite the tiredness.

The hills were a different story, I used the water stops and hubs more than I thought I would - including a pointless stop at the Box Hill Cafe that I thought was a water station but wasn't.