The Climb

13»

Comments

• tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    sjmclean wrote:
    Not only is Contador better than them from a talent and accomplishment perspective, he is a guy you can respect and is loved by fellow riders, team managers and others in the Sport.

How can you respect a convicted unrepentant doper?

You don't know which riders are doping and which riders are clean. If Contador was winning race after race destroying his rivals at ease then he would be easier to hate as a cheat. He has had some real battles and I hate to say it but one with my man king Andy comes to mind as well as Chicken who has confessed to doping. I have met Contador and he was very nice. I like the way he rides and he his good for the sport. So many dopers have come back from bans that being caught doping almost means nothing now except a nice break for the athlete involved and the odd comment from the commentator of the race they are in.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    And rest days all used to be about doping busts

Progress innit
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wiggins must be Petyr Baelish surely.

Defend...

I'd almost make him Tyrion Lannister - hated by those that are forced to deal with him but comes good on the big occasion and saves the city/wins the tour

that would make RR's Team Wiggo his band of tribesman...but I'm not sure who would then be Bron
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Defend...

He's got friends in powerful places, fools a lot of the people that he's ok, a man of the people but he's completely untrustworthy and trying to get up on someones wife.

Nigel Farage basically.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Would Chris Boardman be Bron?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,663
    Surely the main point is that he chose money over having his own team. It was an easy mistake to make.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    I've not seen any GoT so all that stuff is a little tedious I'm afraid...

Froome is a bit difficult to warm to and doesn't come off well in those quotes. I think he should learn the difference between a protected rider and a team leader. If he really thought his role in 2012 gave him carte blanche to attack his leader then he's either incredibly stupid or incredibly arrogant or both. And if he had any balls he'd have either sacrificed himself without complaining - like the rest of his teammates - or gone all out and ridden for himself. The halfway attack and fall back is just petulant - "look at me! I should be the leader" without the cojones to fight for leadership.

Wiggins might be a bit of an arsehole at times, but at least he knows it and recognises it.

Firmly in the Wiggins camp on this one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Defend...
    Wiggins is more Stanis really - Baratheon establishment but now pushed to the sidelines and the direct enemy of the Froome Lanisters. Baelish would be Geraint Thomas. He plays both sides while plotting to claim it all for himself.

Boasson Hagen is Sarah Lund from The Killing, but in Game of Thrones. All anyone could talk about a few years back but now looks like he has wandered on to the set of a completely different show.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006

I'm so off the pace I had to google 'Cersei' to have any idea what you were all talking about.

'modern stage production, m'lud'
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Looking at Froome's reported comments in the Telegraph about Dave Brailsford's way with words and his lack of hair then surely we have Lord Varys sorted.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,768
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I'm so off the pace I had to google 'Cersei' to have any idea what you were all talking about.

'modern stage production, m'lud'

The idea of taking any program which unironically includes dragons is beyond me.

That and it employs the now time old HBO classic tactic of: 'got to have some heavy dialogue to move the plot? OK, bring out the naked breasts'.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    You know when you go to a party with someone who sees an old friend, and then spends the next hour recounting private stories and 'in' jokes during which you just smile aimlessly and chuckle at what you think are the punch lines.

That's me right now.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Me too. I guess I will have to buy Froome's book, it sounds more interesting than the usual ghost written hagiography.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's got friends in powerful places, fools a lot of the people that he's ok, a man of the people but he's completely untrustworthy and trying to get up on someones wife.

Nigel Farage basically.

Harsh!
    RichN95 wrote:
    Wiggins is more Stanis really - Baratheon establishment but now pushed to the sidelines and the direct enemy of the Froome Lanisters. Baelish would be Geraint Thomas. He plays both sides while plotting to claim it all for himself.

Boasson Hagen is Sarah Lund from The Killing, but in Game of Thrones. All anyone could talk about a few years back but now looks like he has wandered on to the set of a completely different show.

Wiggins as Stannis is the best one yet. Does that make Shane Sutton Sir Davos Seaworth? Not sure Cath Wiggins would like to be crazy Selyse though.

If Wiggins is Stannis does that make RR Melisandre?

*runs away and hides and apologizes to everyone who doesn't watch GoT, I too wanted to hate it but I'm hooked now, yes it's deeply problematic on all sorts of gender and racial grounds but well, look a dragon!*
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Would Chris Boardman be Bron?!?

Nah Rod Ellingworth surely?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think we need a GoT spoiler. I have no idea what anyone is talking about but I've just bought the box set of the first season. If it doesn't play out like the 2012 Tour I'll be disappointed.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I don't know either although ashamed to admit it. :oops:
  • Game of Drones indeed ...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Defend...
    Like some others, I've no idea who all these Game of Thrones people are, but I do know who Sarah Lund is and she isn't whom I think of first when imaging EBH in another role - he reminds me of the young Anthony Andrews in Brideshead Revisited.
    220px-Anthony_Andrews_Allan_Warren.jpg
    As for Sarah Lund, I can imagine a winter cycling jacket with the Sarah Lund jumper pattern could look quite good, like this one of hers in The Killing (obviously cut a little differently as well as of different material).
    article-0-167A66D6000005DC-253_306x426.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    knedlicky wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Like some others, I've no idea who all these Game of Thrones people are, but I do know who Sarah Lund is and she isn't whom I think of first when imaging EBH in another role - he reminds me of the young Anthony Andrews in Brideshead Revisited.

As for Sarah Lund, I can imagine a winter cycling jacket with the Sarah Lund jumper pattern could look quite good, like this one of hers in The Killing (obviously cut a little differently as well as of different material).
    I meant it from the point of view that he was the next big thing a few years ago just as The Killing was the big TV show that everyone talked about but after a couple of disappointing seasons has since been usurped by newer TV shows like Breaking Bad (Armstrong) and Game of Thrones (Sky)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    I just had to google Game of Thrones to see what you lot have been talking about for 2 pages.

Did anyone read The Climb in the end. David Walsh is a good writer although things are (as it typical with journo more used to punchy 500 word articles) a bit over written for a long book.

The early years is interesting but the 2012 Tour stuff is a bit weird with Froome being very critical of a number of people. With hindsight he is obviously talented but at the time he'd had a very checkered and variable career. David Brailsford was very long suffering. At the same time 27 is quite young so maybe it is down to petulant youth?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme