New wheelset for an old bike..

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi I can fit a new wheelset - 130mm hub into the 126mm spaced frame ok.

Old wheelset has a 6 speed uniglide freehub ( note NOT FREEWHEEL! :o )

I want to run the bike with a 6 speed cassete on the modern wheelset with the modern hyperglide freehub.

They don't sell 6 speed cassetes but - could i make one from combining the original cog spacers & using modern individual cassete cogs, & put it onto the new freehub?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Assuming the frame is steel, then it can be cold-set to accept a 130mm hub or you could simple spring the frame to fit. 6/7/8 speed all use the same spacing so you could use an 8 speed cassette, simply leave off the two biggest sprockets.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    6/7/8 speed all use the same spacing so you could use an 8 speed cassette, simply leave off the two biggest sprockets.

Sheldon says they are different cog spacings

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Stays are 753 & iv'e just googled & it says they don't like taking a 130mm hub :|

"I contacted Bob Jackson's & Brian Rourke's this morning; they both told me that 753R cannot be cold set. Bob Jackson's said that some 753 frames were built with 531 stays and could be cold set, but if a frame is made entirely from 753 it cannot be coldset. Both also said that it would be wrong to try to force-fit a 130mm rear wheel to fit, since the frame would be in a 'state of tension' and would be more likely to fail."
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Not a big fan of cold setting or spreading. It's much easier to re-space the hub, which in the case of threaded axles is normally a straightforward operation, just a case of filing the axle ends and removing a washer on the non drive side or even on the drive side if that doesn't result in the cassette touching the dropouts.
    left the forum March 2023