Newbie needing advice

Daddycool247
Daddycool247 Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Ive been knocking about as a guest for a while and reading some of the great advice out there already. I've been doing between 20 - 40 miles in a week on my old mountain bike (Merlin Malt 1) it's been a fantastic bike but I can't help but feel it's a little too small for me.

I've got my heart sent on a 2015 Voodoo Bizango, after reading some of the reviews I feel like it's the right bike for me to move onto. My mate who I've been riding with has the 2014 model and I'm always surprised how it just eats up the miles and quite easily pulls away. In September I can get the bike through a bike to work scheme. What I want to know is what frame size will be best for me? I'm 6.0" tall and when i have done a height to frame size chart it says 19.5" frame would be best, so should I go for the 20" frame?! I have read others on this forum saying that they find the 18" frame is plenty big enough.

It's hard to always try the frame sizes as not many of the Halfords near me have the Bizango in stock let alone in the two frame sizes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what size frame is your friends, as presumably he'd let you have a quick spin?
    -
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • His is a 20" frame, he's 6.4". I've had a quick go on the street and it feels OK but never been on a full ride on it. I suppose I want to get it perfect for me and not regret a decision I made without doing enough research.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fit is more that just about height, its' also about proportions and preferences, the nominal size (seat tube length) is meaningless as the dimension that matters is the effective (horizontal) top tube length, you can change that with a change of seatpost (from inline to offset or vice versa) by the equivalent of one size.

Try and borrow the 20" a bit more, but I'd suggest that for normal proportions that the 18" would be the better fit, that said the Bizango has an offset post so you can always shorten the seated cockpit with an inline post if you did get a 20" and found it a bit long.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fit is more that just about height, its' also about proportions and preferences, the nominal size (seat tube length) is meaningless as the dimension that matters is the effective (horizontal) top tube length, you can change that with a change of seatpost (from inline to offset or vice versa) by the equivalent of one size.

Try and borrow the 20" a bit more, but I'd suggest that for normal proportions that the 18" would be the better fit, that said the Bizango has an offset post so you can always shorten the seated cockpit with an inline post if you did get a 20" and found it a bit long.

Thanks for your help,
    I suppose I need to utilise my friends Bizango 20" frame to see if it's going to be any good for me.

Thanks