Tyre advice needed

tc1992
tc1992 Posts: 62
edited July 2015 in Road beginners
I bought a Trek 2.0 nearly a year ago, it was my first road bike.
It has Bontrager slick tyres on. How do i know when they are about to wear out,
do i just have to wait till i start to see some tread coming through. I've done about 1,000 miles on this set

Also . . i was thinking of getting some winter tyres that are a bit tougher.
I have Schwalbe Marathon+ on my old hybrid, which are pretty much puncture proof.
Is there an equivalent or near equivalent for road bikes?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    What model Bonty tyre is it?
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I bought a Trek 2.0 nearly a year ago, it was my first road bike.
    It has Bontrager slick tyres on. How do i know when they are about to wear out,
    do i just have to wait till i start to see some tread coming through. I've done about 1,000 miles on this set

Also . . i was thinking of getting some winter tyres that are a bit tougher.
    I have Schwalbe Marathon+ on my old hybrid, which are pretty much puncture proof.
    Is there an equivalent or near equivalent for road bikes?
    You could probably do another 1,000 miles with them, but once you see wear or the tyres squaring-off a bit it will be time to change.

For all weather tyres, I find Continental Gatorskins very good.
  • tc1992
    thanks, both

they are R1 plus 700 x 23
    there is definitely some squaring off, subtle but enough so that you can feel it. Do you think they are done already?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Difficult to say, depends on how much rubber they put on the carcass to start with, do the tyres have any wear indicators moulded into them? Also the type of compound used, hard, soft or a mixture, dual compound, and the condition of the roads that you ride on will affect wear rate.

You can buy the Schwable marathon plus in 700c x 25, however there are other choices available like the Conti 4 season and Michelin Pro4 Endurance.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-winter-road-bike-tyres-38889/
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I would think Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are too heavy for a normal road bike. I fitted them once to my steel Audax bike, and it felt like I was riding through treacle, so I took them off straight away and the shop bought them back off me at a little less than I had paid for them. Since then I have used Continental Gatorskins on that bike and they ride much better.
  • tc1992
    thanks. can't see any wear indicators, but they do have this squaring starting as mentioned by forumnewbie.
    I might just go for these Gatorskins, and fit them at the beginning of autumn. sure i will survive till then
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I just use the same tyres summer & winter, rubino pro's as they are cheap £10 but light & roll fast - 150 TPI

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HDNCHI/ref=twister_B00MVSD49S
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The thing about slick tyres is you can't really tell how much rubber you've worn off. I just keep riding them till I start to pick up too many punctures or the casing starts to show through.

I've fitted some 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC this year on my best bike and I like the grip and the extra comfort because they come up fatter than 25mm.

On the winter bike I have 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons which do actually measure 25mm. Brilliant grip in the cold / wet, and great puncture protection. Only retired the last pair when the last remnants of the tread started to disappear showing patches of carcass. Still didn't puncture!
  • tc1992
    cheers guys, a couple more makes to look at then. No punctures so far on my current tyres